PDA

View Full Version : To HANDSOME about CHU GAR SOUTHERN MANTIS

FIRE HAWK
02-05-2001, 11:31 AM
Hi Handsome who is your sifu what is your CHU GAR Southern Mantis lineage.I see that you said that Chu AH NAM was a female where did you hear this i herd a story that NG MUI was the founder of Chu Gar southern mantis.Does your Chu Gar come from mainland China or Hong Kong or from the Malaysian southern mantis style.Is your Chu Gar southern mantis have anything to do with Chu Gar master SAMMY WONG.What kind of forms does your Chu Gar southern mantis have.Does your Chu Gar mantis have anything to do with a style called CHUKA SHAOLIN PHOENIX EYE FIST that is in a book called PHOENIX EYE FIST a SHAOLIN FIGHTING ART of SOUTH CHINA by authors CHEONG CHENG LEONG and DON F DREAGER . FIRE HAWK

handsome
02-05-2001, 10:31 PM
I am not in Chu Gar Mantis myself, my curent Kungfu lineage is wing chun. but my brother has been with Chu Gar Tong Long for ten years. Too bad he's oversea now and i couldnt learn from him. I believed his Chu Gar Tong Long was from China and Hong Kong. Sorry ! i don't have all the answers at this moment, but i'll check!!!

handsome
02-05-2001, 10:39 PM
yes, Chu Gar Mastis's Sijo was a female, named Chu Ah Nam. That's from two different source-- one from my brother ,another from a hakka Chu Gar Tong Long practioner in Hong Kong. His Sifu was supposed to be the Grandmaster of Chu Gar Mantis in Hong Kong.( i dont remember his name, but not Sifu Dung Yi Lung in HK ) Hope this will help, just my 2 cents.

02-07-2001, 06:01 AM
Dear Handsome

Majority of Chu Gar practioners believe that Chu Gar Tong Long was found by Chu Ah Nam/Chu Nam Tse( A very femaline Chinese name). But Chu Ah Nam/Chu Nam Tse is a male.
The Chu Gar Grandmaster that you have mentioned could be Lee Sin, Su Hing or the present chairman Cheng Wan Sifu?

regards

Wilson

handsome
02-07-2001, 01:13 PM
Wilson- No, Chu Ah Nam is a woman. The Chinese word " Nam " means " man " ,but that doesn't mean only men could use it--Its the same like the word " Tony" or " Chris" , both men and women could apply. In past Chinese history, there're many females use male's names-that's very common.
And the source I got was from Chu's family line--a ture and very high ranking master from Chu Gar Tong Long family. And not from those names you've mentioned about. Sifu Dung Yi Lung Lives in HK, he's another high ranking Chu Gar Tong Long master.

handsome
02-07-2001, 01:34 PM
Hong Kong movie star--Law Mong who's also a Chu Gar Tong Long fighter, back in the 70' , Law Mong has had issues an open chanllege to the young Leung Ting ( they had some problem ), but the fight never took place--It's a report in HK press.

FIRE HAWK
02-07-2001, 04:26 PM
Hi this article on Chu Gar southern mantis says that CHU FOOK TO taught LAM POK KOON and LAM POK KOON taught CHU NAM CHEA.This article says that CHU FOOK TO and CHU NAM CHEA (CHOW AH NAM)(CHU AH NAM)are not the same person and that LAM POK KOON is inbetween them this is very strange. http://www.infinite.org/library/pages/SBMAC2.1-18.html

FIRE HAWK
02-07-2001, 07:56 PM
Maybe there is two different versions of Chu Gar southern mantis not counting Chow Gar southern mantis.

handsome
02-08-2001, 03:17 AM
FireHawk--Chow Gar and Jook Lum Tong Long are all come from Chu Gar Tong Long. But it's very sad that only few know it and carry on. For the last 300 years, there're many outsiders mixed with the Chu Gar kungfu with others--later to claimed a different lineages of southern praying mantis.
Thanks for the website-- Sifu Gene Chen is from Chu Gar, but according to some of my KF friends,
Chen just knows some and never complete the Chu Gar Tong Long system--maybe that's the real reason he teaches the Tai Chi instead of Chu Gar ( the lost art ). I will post again when i can find out more about the ture history of Chu Gar Tong LOng.

02-08-2001, 09:25 AM
Handsome

Thanks for your reply. I think you have got a little mix up. First of all the Nam in Chu Ah Nam/Chu Nam Tse or Chow Ah Nam, is written as Nam in South, not Nam as Man.
Secondly, if you know anything about Chu Gar Tong Long history in Hong Kong, then you should be familiar with the names I have mentioned. Chu Kwoon Wah was the HEAD of Chu Gar Tong Long since 50s. Lee Sin is one of his top student and seen as one of the most eldest Chu Gar practioner who is still liveing. Cheng Wan Sifu is the current HEAD of the Chu Gar Altheltc Association in Hong Kong, also a student of Chu Gwoon Wah.
For the second post referring to Law Mong, he is a long time student of Chu Kwoon Wong (Chu Kwoon Wah's younger brother).

Wilson

FIRE HAWK
02-08-2001, 11:13 AM
Hi guys know i am really getting confused.Here is another article on southern mantis.
http://cclib.nsu.ru/projects/satbi/satbi-e/martart/wushu/sm.html

FIRE HAWK
02-08-2001, 11:45 AM
Hi i have a book on IRON OX SOUTHERN MANTIS this style has its roots in GEE GAR HAR TONG LONG southern mantis the founder was CHOI DIT NGAU IRON OX CHOI the person i got the book from also says CHOI GIT NGAU was LAU CHOI KOON who was a old man during the TAI PAI REBELLION and he taught the malita men how to fight.From what i understand GEE GAR HAR TONG LONG and CHU GAR GAO come from the HAKKA SOUTHERN MANTIS and that all southern mantis styles come from the Hakka southern mantis style.Iron Ox southern mantis mentions CHU FOOK TO or CHOW FOOK TO. http://www.ironoxprayingmantis.co.uk/Frameset.html

FIRE HAWK
02-08-2001, 12:09 PM
DO any of you know who the grandmaster of Chu Gar southern mantis might be in mainland China.From what i am hereing there seems to be more than one CHU Gar southern mantis grandmaster.

FIRE HAWK
02-08-2001, 12:22 PM
What about the JEW GAR style of the MING ROYOL FAMILY also called JYU GA.I also understand that CHUGAR southern mantis is called CHYU GA.

handsome
02-09-2001, 02:49 AM
Jyu, Gee, Chu, Zhu, Chyu, Jew and Chi--They are all means the same family.

handsome
02-09-2001, 02:57 AM
Wilson--Thanks, I'll check!!!

hymenopus_coronadus
02-10-2001, 10:21 PM
Thanks guys!...For the great info and related web sites on Southern Mantis.

handsome
02-11-2001, 03:46 AM
Wilson or any Chu Gar members,
Has anyone ever heard of Chu Gar Tong Long's Som Dim Bun Kwan ?