PDA

View Full Version : Hey IronFist, can you..

Kumkuat
03-03-2002, 08:36 PM
can you do a one arm pull up yet? That's my goal too. But I don't think I'm close though.

IronFist
03-03-2002, 08:56 PM
Hey thanks for asking :)

I can get about 60% of the way up now... which is really weird becaues I would assume a 90 degree angle between forearm and upper arm (or 50% of the way up) would be the hardest position (like it is with a bicep curl). But yeah, about 60% of the way up and I fail. It's about here on both arms.

I know I said by the end of the month last month, but I'm extending my deadline by one more month to be able to do a one arm pullup.

Also, I took 2 weeks off from grip/pullup training because I hurt my finger, so that may have something to do with it, too.

IronFist

Sharky
03-04-2002, 07:42 AM
How many pullups should you be able to do before you try one? I can do about like 10, from straight arm, but underarm grip - i heard overgrip is much harder and i'm too scared to do one in the gym incase i can't do any!! :) Although i haven't seen anyone else in the gym that ever does any at all. No one uses it.

Aaaaaanyway i just wanna know if i should attempt one and makemyself look like a fool in the gym, or keep working 2 arms!

Ford Prefect
03-04-2002, 07:43 AM
Is this just with the other arm dangling? I'm hoping to get there in the next month or so and then add resistance by holding a plate in my hanging arm.

Ford Prefect
03-04-2002, 07:45 AM
Sharky, it's a completely different strength requirement IMO. I've been able to knock off 20+ pull-ups consecutively, but unable to do a single one arm.

Sharky
03-04-2002, 07:46 AM
Poop.

Qi dup
03-04-2002, 04:24 PM
Wow that's awsome! you guys are the hizantz! I used to be able to do 10 pull ups and 15 chin ups but that was a while ago. Never was able to do the one arm thing. I think i'm going to try one today durring my workout. good luck Kumkuat and IronFist!

IronFist
03-04-2002, 11:43 PM
Sharky asked
How many pullups should you be able to do before you try one?

For some reason the number 24 pops into my mind. I think I read somewhere that to be able to do a one arm pullup you need to be able to do 24 regular pullups. I think someone quoted this number from an old strength book on Pavel's forum.

i heard overgrip is much harder and i'm too scared to do one in the gym incase i can't do any!! Although i haven't seen anyone else in the gym that ever does any at all. No one uses it.

If you're using an overhand grip, keep your hands at LEAST shoulder width apart, if not fàrther. A lot of people do overhand grip with their hands close together... that can be really tough on the wrists (in a bad way) so keep it wide with your palms facing away from you. Similarly, when your palms are facing you, keep your hands closer together. Experiment to find the ideal position for you. There should be absolutely no pain in your wrists during any part of the movement.

Ford Prefect said:
Is this just with the other arm dangling? I'm hoping to get there in the next month or so and then add resistance by holding a plate in my hanging arm.

I put my unused arm across my stomach so I'm almost grabbing where the lat inserts into the waist on my used arm. I probably get a little "help" this way, as I suppose a "true" one arm pullup has your other arm just hanging there.

Try putting your unused arm on the bicep of the working arm. It will help you pull a little bit more. It's not a true one arm pullup that way, but I've heard it's good for the progression of working up to one arm pullups.

Qi dup said:
good luck Kumkuat and IronFist!

Thanks dude :)

IronFist

** Note: There's not really an à in the word "fàrther," as I wrote above, but kfo recognizes the word f-a-r-t in there and so without it looks like ****her and that just looks dumb :P