PDA

View Full Version : back

Daniel Madar
03-03-2002, 11:28 PM
Im in japan. I had one day of sleep and now Im at work. Japanese OS is killing me.

red_fists
03-03-2002, 11:32 PM
Hi Daniel.

Konnichi-wa!

Japanese OS is not ALL that bad.

Gimme me a shout once you are settled in and got your Head over water.

Looking forward to meeting you in Person.

Speak to you soon.

P.S.: I will PM you tonight with my keitai number.

Daniel Madar
03-03-2002, 11:46 PM
groovy. I decided against buying a noto in the states. I may buy one here as a method of familiarizing myself with the kanji, etc. Perhaps we can talk about that too.

****, to be honest, I am completely overwhelmed. I can understand most of what people are saying, but actually speaking back or reading is the killer. I:ve been in this situation before, so its cool. And I signed the contract, so they cant fire me for a year. ;)

red_fists
03-03-2002, 11:57 PM
groovy. I decided against buying a noto in the states. I may buy one here as a method of familiarizing myself with the kanji, etc. Perhaps we can talk about that too.

Not a problem. I got a BIIIG drinking session booked for Sunday with Guys from both here and E-Budo.
We got a Birthday to celebrate on St. Patrick's Day.
I have promised to eat a teaspoon full of "green Death" Wasabi. :P

****, to be honest, I am completely overwhelmed. I can understand most of what people are saying, but actually speaking back or reading is the killer. I:ve been in this situation before, so its cool. And I signed the contract, so they cant fire me for a year. ;)

It will take you a few days or years to get used to it again.
Japanese is a killer for reading/writing is the langauge is different.

BTW, you arrived just about the right time for "Hana-Mi", should be happening in about 2~3 weeks. Where I live we got a good spot for it.

Speak to you soon.

P.S.: Sorry, about the Weather yesterday, we had a cold spell over the Wekend.

Zantesuken
03-04-2002, 12:10 AM
**** you! i wanan go live in japan! maybe i'll moocha trip for my 16th bday! if only i could learn japanese man i would bring back sooooo many dvds from my last trip! they have EVERYTHING there! especially akihabara! ****it electric town i could sleep on the streets! and then they had this huge shop w/ anime, PS2 stuff, dvds, manga everything! i was like holy crap this is cool place! then i visited some police training dojo but i wasn't allowed in so i was like time to bring out tai chi but i guess it wouldn't work cause i was sick at the time haha. but yeah cool! cept tokyo is a little too industrial for me.
The downtown is like ALL work. i wanna goto an area that's sorta like a regular downtown with KIDS rather than business men.

haha japan! japan insn't as cool as china though! well maybe it is but not COOLER!

red_fists
03-04-2002, 12:17 AM
Hey Zantesuken.

If you wanna come over there are a few methods, I can tell you about off-list.

Akihabara to be honest "sucks" Tourist prices for most goods, you really need to know where to go to get a bargain.
There are better and cheaper places. ;)

Yep, downtown and inside of Yama-te Line is pricey, work and boring. That's why I live in Musashino-shi(next to Tokyo) big difference.

If you like Anime & related goods than head over to Nakano and visit "Broadway". The Center has about 25 Shops related to this subject anything you want or can desire, and some things you DON'T want to show your GF or Mother.
As for CMA, some good quality stuff over here, slightly different from Mainland CMA though.

Daniel Madar
03-04-2002, 01:12 AM
Peter,

I work until 6, and for now work is the only access to a machine I have. I think I am supposed to do the after work binge thing today, but I am not sure. I will send you my keitai number, which is actually my mother in laws.

And for gods sake, please tell me where the apostrophe is on this stupid keyboard...

I've found it!

Daniel Madar
03-04-2002, 01:14 AM
actually, I better ask the MOL first. :) Where do you work at least? I'm in megoru-ku near shibuya.

red_fists
03-04-2002, 01:20 AM
Hi Daniel.

I work in Kayabacho close to Tokyo station.

Meguro is close to home for me, some good CMA in and around Shibuya.

Pity, I can get to Shibuya from home in about 20 minutes, Kayabacho takes me about 50.

I am normally off around 17:30, got to go home and wrestle with the little one. ;)
I will also pm you my Homephone number tonight.

If your Boss didn't take you out to Lunch today, you might be required to do some partying this Week in the evening.

Speak to you later on.

Daniel Madar
03-04-2002, 01:30 AM
Lunch is free here, but we hung out. Does that count? I'm@not really a drinker, so I hope to avoid getting destroyed.

I need to find a big park in shibuya, so I can practice before I come to work. Someplace close to the station. Any suggestions?

It takes me about 1 hour to get back to ikegami, btw. Wheres there meet up this weekend?

red_fists
03-04-2002, 01:36 AM
Lunch is free here, but we hung out. Does that count? I'm@not really a drinker, so I hope to avoid getting destroyed.

Might not count. Not sure, depends on Company & Boss.

I need to find a big park in shibuya, so I can practice before I come to work. Someplace close to the station. Any suggestions?

Yoyogi-Koen, depending on where you are in Shibuya.
Plenty of CMA practiced there. Mostly Yang Kwang Ping though and the Tui Shou meeting every Sunday afternoon or so.

I think one group also does Tai Ki Ken (Yi Chuan) there, but mostly around Takadanobaba.

It takes me about 1 hour to get back to ikegami, btw. Wheres there meet up this weekend?

Meeting on Sunday is at the "Dubliner" in Shinjuku, next to Mitsukoshi. Take either East or south east exit, bout 2 min. walk either way.
Not sure if I will do Sunday Meeting yet, got 2 Bicycles to get ready at home. :(

Depends on how much time I can get on Saturday to work on them.

Seeya.

Daniel Madar
03-04-2002, 02:23 AM
BTW@Peter,

Can you recommend any good books on learning japanese computer terms/kanji?

red_fists
03-04-2002, 04:02 AM
Hi Daniel.

I got an old Copy of the following Book, I can let you have:

Dictionary of Computer & Data Processing Terms.
English --> Japanese
Japanese --> English

Bit dated (bout 12 yrs) but should still proof of use.

Also check your PM.

Kempo Guy
03-04-2002, 12:41 PM
red_fists,

Have you had any experience with Jibiki Sensei? I believe he has a school in Shibuya where he teaches Aikijujutsu and Tai Ji, Xing Yi and Ba Gua.

I go to Japan about once every couple of years to visit friends and family, so I thought of visiting his school next year.
How open are teachers over there of visitors?

Also, do you guys have any good recommendations in terms of Japanese language books. Especially for learning Kanji?
I do speak (although not as fluent as I'd like to) and read Japanese (with the help of some furigana I can even read manga!) but would like to learn how to write and learn more Kanji.

Look forward to your reply.

KG

red_fists
03-04-2002, 02:50 PM
Hi KG.

Sorry, I am not aware of Jibiki Sensei.

You got a school adress for me?? I will also ask some friends of mine that study down in Shibuya.

Generally I have found Japanese Teachers to be very friendly to Visitors. Some schools might prefer a prior notification of your visit.

For Kanji I recommend the following Dictionary:

The Learner's Kanji Dictionary
ISBN: 4-8053-0561-4
Charles E. Tuttle Company.

My School added it to their Library after seeing my Copy.

Not sure about study books perse, as I have been studying at a school mostly.

Hope this helps

Kempo Guy
03-04-2002, 02:59 PM
Red fists,

The address to Jikibi Sensei is the following:

Daini Yagi Building B1F, 3-6-2
Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
150-0002
tel .03(3400)9371

Let me know if you hear anything! :D

Thanks for the information on the Kanji book. I'll see if I find it at the local bookstore.

Out of curiousity, do you practice near kichijoji? (since it's on your sig.)

KG

red_fists
03-04-2002, 04:21 PM
Hi KG.

Yes, I practice in Kichijoji and live there.
5min from our Kwoon/Dojo. :)

We train in the Buddhist Temple on Sun-road opposite Seiyu Department store. Actually an Aikido Dojo we rent on Saturdays for classes. :rolleyes:

Inokashira-koen is also great for practicing, either at the running track or behind Inokashira-koen station.

Plenty of MA folks to be found there on the Weekends.

I will ask our Sifu in Shibuya what she knows about Jibiki Sensei, as her Kwoon is located across the road from Tokyu Hands.

Seeya.

red_fists
03-04-2002, 04:28 PM
KG.

Sorry, forgot to ask one question.

What specific styles does Jibiki Sensei teach??

In short what is his aiki-jutsu style, etc.

Thanks, in advance.

Kempo Guy
03-04-2002, 04:57 PM
Hi r_f!

Living 5min. from the dojo is convenient, neh? :)
I have a similar scenario with my teacher, altough we train in a park. I know exactly where the Seiyu Dept. store is! Some of my family actually live near Kichijoji so I visit there every time I'm in Japan.

You know, I've never considered going to Inogashira-koen to see/meet martial artists. I'll have to do that next time.

(Last year when I went to Taipei, I visited the Chiang Kai Shek Memorial and spoke to several people training there. )

As I mentioned, Jibiki Sensei teaches Daito Ryu Aikijutsu and Neijia. His Daito Ryu teacher was Yoshida Kotaro Sensei and I can't recall the other one. I know they were both students of Sokaku Takeda. You may be familiar with Yoshida Kotaro, as he also taught his own ryu the Yanagi-ryu (Don Angier is the current headmaster).
Jibiki Sensei's Neijia teacher was Master Wang Shu Jin. Jibiki Sensei was the only indoor student of Master Wang from Japan or so I'm told. I believe he also gets visits from Master Wang Fu Lai, the inheritor of Wang Shu Jin's system.
You can find out more about him at: http://www.taikyokuken.co.jp/

I hope this is the type of info you were looking for.

KG

red_fists
03-04-2002, 05:11 PM
KG.

Next time you are in the neighbourhood give me a yell.

Thanks, for the link. I thought it would be that School but was not sure about it.
I have heard previously about Wang Shu Jin, as he is credited with bringing TCC to Japan.

One of my Friends is doing Ba Gua there, AFAIK.
He is also studying Yang Kwang Ping TCC under Sifu D.D. Harrington in Yoyogi Park.

Sorry, more familiar with the places rather than the Instructors name.

Seeya.

Kempo Guy
03-04-2002, 05:46 PM
red_fists,

Thanks for the invite! I probably won't make it this year, but next year for sure. Maybe I'll take you up on the offer! :)

What's your friends experience with Jibiki Sensei? Does he only study Ba Gua, cause generally speaking they'll make you study Tai Ji and Xing Yi prior to Ba Gua in that lineage.

BTW, what is your style Taikyoku Kempo like? I'd be interested in knowing a little background on it, if you don't mind me asking.

KG

red_fists
03-04-2002, 05:53 PM
Hi KG.

He did take a bit of their Tai Chi lessons.

Need to contact him again, haven't spoken to him in quiet some time as he is touring Japan as well.

I will e-mail you with some Info about my style, unfortunately nothing about it online or published.

Our fstyle ounder likes to keep things this way.

Kempo Guy
03-04-2002, 06:04 PM
red_fists,
Look forward to your email. You can find it under my profile.

KG

Zantesuken
03-04-2002, 10:28 PM
i dunno about cma red fists. cause basically jma took from southern cma. that's why a lot of okinawa chi performances are similar to shoalin stuff.

but yeah guess it can't be helped. such close cultures even though they don't really like each other ;P. still yeah i wanted to visit less industrial areas and me no speaka japanese so all the time i was like CANADA and they spoke broken english w/ me.

haha i'm planning to take lessons for a trip maybe one year before i goto uni.

red_fists
03-04-2002, 10:37 PM
Hey Zantesuken.

I was talking about CMA taught as CMA, not JMA derived from CMA.
Of course some changes have creeped into the systems, but not much more than what happened lets say in the US CMA scene.

A lot of CMA Masters first went to Japan after leaving China and than either settled in Taiwan/Japan or moved on west.

Japanese in "less industrial" area differs, but you should get along with the old point & gesture method. :p
Not much chances of peple use brocken english on you. Maybe engrish or kana english.

Japanese still think that American English is the true english. hehehe

Speak to you soon.

Zantesuken
03-04-2002, 11:55 PM
man american english is so bad! and they have the worst informed population in the world. haha i don't see how their english is perfect! they just got the monies.

but u.s.a is still cool especially nevada.
but i'd like to learn japanese so i can go hang out and order my hentai haha. i dunno i just thought it'd be cool to learn a few more languages

red_fists
03-05-2002, 12:01 AM
Zantesuken.

Once I have mastered Japanese (too a fair degree atleast) I want to learn Mandarin.

I figure easier this way, as I will already know about 2000 Characters, plus Mandarin Sensei at my Japanese School sez Grammar is similar to English. ;)

That would make me than fluent in 4 languages and plain bad in just a few more.

P.S.: Remember foreign language skills improve in proportion with the amount of liquor you drank. ;)

Kempo Guy
03-05-2002, 09:31 AM
Hey guys,

I'm planning on learning more Japanese as well. Been looking into some language schools. My conversational Japanese is definitely better than my writing ability! :) But, I keep reading manga with the help of furigana.
And red_fists, I'm planning to learn some Mandarin once my Japanese gets better too!

KG