Do you like it smooth and easy?
Do you like to write your beats
and like to change your timing
to something new?
and in advance
I'd like to thank you.

Sharky
03-04-2002, 01:05 PM
I listen to: Big Pun, Big L, Nas, Terror squad, DITC, Lord finesse, mobb deep, pharoahe monch, and a load of underground people. Uk rappers i listen to are Out da ville, rodney p, karl hinds, etc

I record on pc using cool edit pro and use soundforge and acid pro to make beats.... i really gotta go man!

sorry!

laters.

PS - i will try to get into a proper studio some time this summer.

norther practitioner
03-04-2002, 01:16 PM
Listen to everything...hip-hop, breaks, funky and hard house, etc. I really enjoy Talib Kwali, Mos Def, KRS-ONE, anyone else on Lyrasist Lounge. Out of more "gangsta" stuff, I like biggie, mob deep, and the wu tang clan (ex. gza's first album). I have spun hip hop and house for a few years now and really like to throw down old school hip hop sets: dougie fresh, slick rick, africa bambatta, and then some underground stuff like cage. I have made a few beats for friends and such and used some of them on my mixed cds, I used a pc with cool edit, some other software (can't remember what the name is now, if I find it I will post name), a beat (drum) machine, a keyboard, and my tables. Timing is everything, or nothing...depends on your style.

Yung Apprentice
03-04-2002, 02:10 PM
TWISTA!!! I like spittin with some blood in it. Fast. With some energy.I like some laid back stuff too, but to get pumped up, I go with some fast rappers. Although tight beats will put me into the mood to spit. Twista, Terror Squad, Kurupt, Naz, Busta, Xzibit, Crucial Conflict, Spice 1. And some Latino rappers I'm pretty sure not to many have heard. I recorded a few songs, but I went to the studio for the beats.You know, if you don't happen to have access to a computer, you can get the Mtv music generater for the PS2, make a beat, hook the PS2 to a sytem and record. My homie makes some really tight beats off of that, it's simple, but when you get into it and have a better understanding of it, you can make some more complicated beats and go really into detail.

Skarbromantis
03-04-2002, 03:25 PM
2Pac ..Saafir ..the Whoriders....Jay-Z...Rass Kass...

I record using Fostex board 24 track and
a Roland vs1680 also EPS sampler ...
Mpc and SP12 for the drums
Korg trinity for synth's

Been Producing and Rhyming for 9 years
i own my studio

Check out www.iuma.com
search for Skard1 the tracks are REAL OLD!!!!!
I should update them but i just finished working
on an album...

Any Questions?.....Just Ask!!

Skard1

Justa Man
03-04-2002, 06:39 PM
Eric B and Rakim, Special Ed, Black Sheep, Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Wu Tang, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G Rap, KMD, Gangstarr, Black Moon and Main Source. These are the older cats that keep me inspired.
The new ones are too many to list, but a few are Company Flow, the first Nas, the Juggaknots, MF Doom, Grouch, Cannibal Ox (Vastaire mainly), Atmosphere, Dilated Peoples, Cage, J-Live, Aesop Rock.....

Atmosphere gets my head moving alot right now. His beats are mad organic, he's got nice cadence, and he doesn't pack that macho image that most mc's feel the need to mask with. J-Live, more than getting my head moving, gets me thinking, which is the utmost....plus the fact that he is the most slept on thing since Postrapedics. If you buy his joint you WILL NOT be disappointed (and NO, I am not on his street team). Cannibal Ox's beats give me neck aches, but alot of people don't feel El-P's style (their main producer). Check RJD2 for some new sounds.

I'm just the rhyme spitter but my boy uses Logic Audio and an XP 60 to make the beats, use the samples, and lay the rhymes. That, a mic and an 8 track. Asking if I like to lay it rough, smooth or easy...are you asking my rhyme style? What do you mean?
I like to experiment. If you've heard El-P's beat style, you'll see that he branches out further than the average hip hop beat maker. I like to rhyme on your not-so-everyday sounds, as well as the regular boom-bap sounds of average hip hop. I don't know if I answered your last question.

Yung Apprentice
03-04-2002, 07:06 PM
I forgot 2pac and Biggie!!!!

ewallace
03-04-2002, 07:56 PM
anyone heard of kottonmouth?

jon
03-04-2002, 08:32 PM
Del :D

Leonidas
03-04-2002, 11:06 PM
I like Rapcore (meaning Hardcore Rock and Rap), in the tradition of Rage Against the Machine, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit(although i've lost most of my respect for them), and Cypress Hill, there are some others but i cant' remember now. Thats the closest thing to rap that i listen to. I stopped listening to regular rap since around 99' I just couldn't take it anymore. No disrespect to those who like it. I dont totally hate it. Some of it is still cool to me, but too many unoriginal artist and posers.

Sharky
03-05-2002, 12:08 AM
Pffft, and from brooklyn too.

Kristoffer
03-05-2002, 01:45 AM
Linkin Park and Limp bizkit sux
RATM r cool..

Hey Sharky, remember my old rap thread? With swedish hip hop and your Karl hines stuff? :D
Someone there mentioned Unsung Heroes, It was mad hard to find any but the 3-4 tunes I found was awsome. Do u know anywhere on the net I could buy that? Coz I can't get it here..

Leonidas
03-05-2002, 03:33 AM
Thats the problem. I live in Brooklyn so every thing is old news. Theres no originality. Just high school punks who dont want to get real jobs. Let me summarize the themes of a typical rap song. slappin' b!tches, "bussin" guns, pimpin' ho-es with huge racks and big bottoms, "rockin" ice(jewelry) and drivin' phat a$$ whips with 20 inch rims (did i miss anything). Basically being a "gangsta" or a "playa" with witty ways of saying your going to kill someone. Hearing the same thing for 8 years straight can get old. I would love to hear some rap from other places in the world but i dont have access to much and i basically dont know who's who. To tell you the truth, alot of music out now is p!ssing me off. I think i might try Bluegrass or classical for a month or so.

Sharky
03-05-2002, 03:58 AM
i think you missed "rollin dice on the corner, yo"

Kristoffer
03-05-2002, 04:02 AM
"I would
love to hear some rap from other places in the world but i dont have
access to much and i basically dont know who's who."

IAM - le chote obscure (french)
Mc Solaar (french)
Dunken Tiger (Korean)
Petter - mikrofån kåt(swedish)
Promoe - long arm of the law (swedish political)
Molotov - poto (spanish, not great but funny as hell)

I'm sure Sharky has a ton of Mc's to list..
I actually listen to more hardcore too, some metal and alot of rock. Like Deftones

Leonidas
03-05-2002, 04:09 AM
oh yea, they like gambling too. "Jus' keepin' it real son, nah'mean. I ain't never gonna leave the prizzojects, pass the wizzeed and the easy G, i needs to get crunked." I run 'dis' beeotch." I hope you understood that. It goes on and on............

vingtsunstudent
03-05-2002, 04:56 AM
i'm sure u missed the weed boyz.
don't they just love smokin' a big fat blunt & rubin' it in ya face.
naughty boyz they is.
vts

GOLDEN ARMOR
03-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Leonidas, ur just listening to the wrong rappers, come on u can't say u don't have access in brooklyn.

Abstract
03-05-2002, 09:22 AM
u live in BK son. u have no excuse for liking limp bizkit. their name says it all.

The Nkiru Center for Education & Culture, The Center for Black Literature, and The Department of Languages, Literature, and Philosophy Present:

A Performance And Interactive Writing Workshop

Featuring Abiodun Oyewole of The Last Poets

Date: Thursday, March 7, 2002
Time: 7:00 - 9:00 P.M.
Place: Medgar Evers College
1650 Bedford Avenue, Café Annex
(Between Crown And Montgomery Streets)

For Information Call: 718-270-4925

keep that rap/rock amalgam..:mad:
Mos has some joints like that, ain't too bad, Rage was dope once. Everyone else sucks pretty bad. Man there's plenty of hip hop that's credible. stop watching MTV

nightair
03-05-2002, 09:32 AM
not to be mean leonidas, but rapcore in itself is poserish, it is just a butchering of two music genres. It's too weak to be metal and too fake to be rap, kinda like puff daddy meets Motley crue. Don't get me wrong I listen to everything, 2pac, nas, the roots, dice raw,xzibit, the usual that we all have heard but I love the classics to, Grand master flash, run dmc, de la soul, I hate the fake poppy crap that is out there, Jay-z,p diddy,ja rule, that crap is so annoying.My favorite group out there is Outkast. They are so original, and I love what they have to say about everything, people who don't like them usually just don't understand what they are talking about and thats just sad cause that shows how our society has gone downhill. just because of a few cursewords people get scared away from music, most people who don't like a certain genre have never really heard good music from that genre. The only reason I don't like rapcore is because It gets too cliche. Like linkin Parks music is all just one song with some what different words. I hate Limp Biskit because they stole music from guitarist across the nation with that stupid Guitar center contest. They made every guitarist competing sign a paper saying that Limp Bizkit pretty much owns whatever the guitarst play during the audition. So they stole thousands of guitar riffs. My views may **** some of you off but If I get through to one person It's all good.

Justa Man
03-05-2002, 11:06 AM
it was I who mentioned unsung heroes. they have a full length out. check sandboxoutomatic.com if you want to cop it.
also, download Atmosphere's Scapegoat and Primer. Straight illness.
the only reasons i'm feelin unsung is siah and yeshua da poED. the rest sound too ny-undergroundish. copies basically.
"travel on the gravel, never took the taken road, slaves walk the pave, cravin all the same sh!t, siah and yesh explain sh!t, all you need to pay's attention...."

MonkSanTe
03-05-2002, 11:44 AM
Public Enemy (my all time favorite), Dead Prez, KRS-1, Wu-Tang (especially GZA's solo albums), Dilated Peoples, Livin Legends, del.

Justa Man
03-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Living Legends! Yes yes! Speaking of Wu and the Gza, ever hear Gza and Rza's 'Pass the Bone' and Wu's 'Who's the Champion'? Hottest beats. Rza at his finest.

PQS
03-05-2002, 12:08 PM
You can't beat Blondies Rapture,
Itried to put a smiley there but it didn't work
Pete

Leonidas
03-05-2002, 02:46 PM
I was just using Limp Di(k and the rest as examples. I dont think Rapcore is poserish. You can rhyme over anything. Rapping= equals flowing poetry over music (doesn't specify what) and hip hop doesn't have a monopoly on poetry. Who honestly thinks RATM was a hip hop poser. I dont hate rap but that fake "gangsta" talk was really getting to me (meaning p!ssing off). I also know of rappers like Common and Mos Def who dont rhyme about that stuff but its really far and few( not as well known as Jigga-man and Jada are they?), and so i decided I should try other genres of music and i found something that i like and stuck with it, sue me. This was a thread about people who listen to rap if you remember and thats the closest thing to it that i listen to. Whats wrong with Rap/Rock :mad:. Let's see, i like rhyming (ok), i like guitar riffs (getting better), why not mash 'em together (thats the ticket, perfect, go with it). Much better :D

Tigerstyle
03-05-2002, 04:15 PM
You got chocolate in my peanut butter! :mad:

I like Linkin Park and Rage Against the Machine too. Actually, before you get on Leonidas' case too much, I would like to point out that at this moment I am listening to Green Day, and liking it! :p

I thought I was the only one on this planet that didn't understand the increase in popularity of the "jigga man". I can't get enough of "Big Pimpin'" though. :)

Golden Armor,
Do you listen to Jeru tha Damaja?

greyseal
03-05-2002, 04:24 PM
Nah, Third Bass was the best back in the day; rap is losing its originality--nothing is new, it all sounds the same. Long gone are the days of Tribe called quest, Fushnikins, et al.

"Milk is chillin, this is chillin, what more can I say?"

Yajirobe
03-05-2002, 04:33 PM
i listen to anime music and video games..mostly made by square.... ::goes back to fantasy world::

Justa Man
03-05-2002, 09:00 PM
err, see below

Justa Man
03-05-2002, 09:04 PM
i give 3rd base props...they put zeb love x (now known as the MF Doom...aka one of the tightest mc's of the last decade) on the gasface jawn. jeru's first release is classic. that's what i'm sayin....one could go on for days droppin mc's / crew's names that are/were hot.
rage was tight. and you have a point leonidas, one could rhyme over any music if one was moved to do so. there are always gonna be purists, and there are always gonna be those who take it to a different level, just like there are gonna be the bruce lee types who mix and match martial arts for what works for them, and there are gonna be old men who make you stand in horse stance for 15 minutes before you learn something more.
gangster talk gets to me all the time, that's why hot 97 gets no love in my ride (except for that newer joint, whose hook is like "it's my life, my pen, my pad, my life"...nice beat...lyrics aren't all about guns and hoes, just about tough life). they turn out the same songs, sayin the same sh!t, just mixin up the words to sound different. common and mos def aren't as few and far between as you deem. it just takes diggin.
that's why i get sort of ****ed for droppin names like atmosphere, j-live, cannibal ox, juggaknots and mf doom on you guys, cuz yall don't know how much diggin it took, chances are none of you will actually dig up on them yourselves, and me and mine consider them jewels among fools' gold.
i don't hate on you for listening to hard stuff though leonidas. some of that sh!t is pure adrenalin, and mad fun to break stuff to. :)

Kristoffer
03-06-2002, 10:17 AM
Justa Man- thx alot for mentioning them!! Fecking opened my eyes on hip hop. Really, I look upon it in a different way now. That made me start digging after other stuff wich stands out. I dunno if u heard of Terror Squad, but they were awsome too..

I'll check that out, thx

Sharky
03-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Rock NEEDS rap to survive. Rap does not need rock.

Colin
03-06-2002, 11:37 AM
But......isn't rap just aload of s!it spewed out by dumb fuk ignorant street scum, that have no education, and can't even sing.

Surely rap is just afro-american drug induced gibberish, that has nothing to do with anything apart from drugs and guns!

Or am I just getting old?

C..........

Abstract
03-06-2002, 12:55 PM
"...what is hip hop if it doesn't have violence?
chill for a minute Doug E Fresh said silence."

name that quote that quoted another song.

Leo i wasn't tryin to dig you earlier dunn. I personally can't stand rap/rock fusion cause it's never done right 'cept for a few standouts. I thought Rage was good, even Mos Def has his band, Blackjack Johnson, they're ok too. Not to jock the Mighty Mos, but he's a talented cat. Sings Jazz, Rock, and can rhyme his arse off. He still can't touch Tip, who is dropping his new joint the end of April. Check that out. But to get at what I quoted earlier, Hip Hop culture's breeding grounds is on my gif. Without tha SOUTH BRONX we would have no rap. It started HERE. SO if anyone doesn't LIKE it, you really have to COME from the element to appreciate it in it's entirety. Sure the intellecutal conscious music spands across all nationalities & borders, but not everyone can identify with the thuggish image, and vice-versa. You need both. It's one aesthetic that needs the other to balance it out.

peas:cool:

Justa Man
03-06-2002, 12:55 PM
you're welcome kristoffer. but i think sharky should hunt down this colin character, glue earphones to his head and pump only the finest nwa cuts.

norther practitioner
03-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Don't sleep on J-Hova...most just hear his poppy stuff, hes still got some dope rhymes. As far as non gangsta rap, well, if you think that they are too far and few between, then you are not looking in the right places. There is a lot of it around, look for more local stuff, check out yo flaco. There are also a lot of cool jam, acid jazz, hip hop groove type stuff coming around.

ewallace
03-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Rock NEEDS rap to survive. Rap does not need rock.
Ummm, I seriously doubt that. Rock has been around much longer than rap. That is why there is Heavy Rock, Death Metal, Grunge...etc. Rap is starting to do the same as rock did by expanding into different styles of rap. Music styles have to evolve or they die. Notice no one raps like Run DMC today. It is going in different directions. I see Outkast being to rap what Nirvana was to rock in the early nineties. It is evolving into being more musical as well. Not just a beat and rhymes.

nightair
03-06-2002, 01:46 PM
Sorry Leonidas, I wasn't trying to explode or anything. Its cool that you like what ever you like, that was just my opinion about it. In the Bay Area we have a very diverse musical culture. Bay Area metal is pretty much the best and where it was born , same with west coast rap.

Skarbromantis
03-06-2002, 02:25 PM
"...what is hip hop if it doesn't have violence?
chill for a minute Doug E Fresh said silence."

name that quote that quoted another song.

Self Destruction....

Skard1

Yung Apprentice
03-06-2002, 02:36 PM
Not all rap is violent. And not all rap is strictly african-american. There are a lot of latinoes in the game now, some white ppl are stepping up too, and a few asains.(I'm talking about here in the States) To dub them "ignorant" is absurd. I'd like to see you paint a picture with words, and still have it rhyme. Or "storytell". Many talk about there lives and what they've seen and been thru. Which is why many hear about the ghetto things. But just because your from the ghetto, doesn't mean that your uneducated. It just means you can't relate.

On a different note, I really don't like Jigga. Or rockafella for that matter. I know he is good lyrically, but he just doesn't appeal to me.

I also like some rap/rock stuff. Could it be that those who don't favor it, also don't believe in MMA? :D Just pulling some of your chains. I'm listening to P.O.D. right now! If you don't like that, then don't say anything.

Kristoffer
03-06-2002, 03:04 PM
I can relate to u not liking Hovas more pop-ish songs like izzo and girlsgirlsgirls.. Not really brilliant :D But some of his other stuff, alot from the blueprints. Hearth of the city.. fecking great.
Unsung is better though.. alot

Leonidas
03-06-2002, 07:39 PM
That was a pretty sh!tty thing to say Colin. I dont like the the route most commercial rap music is going, but to call it "Afro American Drug Induced Gibberish" is just fu(king wrong. Sharky is proof that rap music has spread to other places in the world like Europe. I know its big in Asia and Japan especially. Thats the beauty of music, it can be made by anyone in the world and you dont have to speak the language of its origin. Maybe you should listen to some of it before you make stupid comments, and not just the garbage on MTV. I'd call rappers like Jigga man dumb fu(ks but not everyone rapping is a moron.....................Look at me defending rap, who would of imagined it :eek:

jon
03-06-2002, 07:53 PM
Colin
I dont actualy agree with you BUT!!!
Anyone who can walk in on a conversation about rap music and say what you just said is just to darn cool :cool:

Its my dream to walk into a new age hippy grunge concert with soap and a firehose and just start insisting that people wash:rolleyes:

Take a large magnet along to a punk concert.

Dress up in a tux and go along to a gothic band

Go to a Michael Jackson concet and make loud accusations about child molestation. Keep screaming 'HE'S MELTING, HE'S MELTING KEEP HIM AWAY FROM THE LIGHTS!' over and over again.

Go see Metalica and proclaim loadly that all metal fans are closet gheys. What the hell is wrong with pastel colours anyway!

you have my props that was a cool post:)

ZhouJiaQuan
03-06-2002, 10:10 PM
Som of my favorite mcs are(in no particular order)
Talib kweli -too many peeps by sleeping on him-
Mos Def - needless to say
(him and talib in blackstar)

Dead Prez- there album "lets get free" is hot (they studied some Martial arts too)

*Saul Williams - he is more kinda like a poet/philosopher but put out an album a few months back called "Ameythest Rock Star" - very different from most everything out

(sorry i didnt read all the threads so hope i didnt repeat ish)

peace,
Wally

Leonidas
03-06-2002, 10:20 PM
Yea real "cool" and "creative" way of stating your dislike of Hip Hop. You should take your act on the road. :rolleyes:

African Tiger
03-07-2002, 12:11 AM
This oughta make y'all jealous! Me and Redman on the set of How High. I'll find the photo of me and Meth' and post it later!

Sorry it's so small, but it's really hard to crop an 8 x 10 down to 102400 bytes!!!
:mad:

Yung Apprentice
03-07-2002, 01:34 AM
Jigga is garbage. Naz ate him up. I like Dead Prez. I also like the Roots. Hieroglyphics. N E one here like the Beatnuts? I think there tight. Still Twista is my favorite.

Yeah that was a Sh!tty thing to say Colin, a very prejudice thing to say.

Kristoffer
03-07-2002, 05:05 AM
Beatnuts r ok..

Colin
03-07-2002, 02:55 PM
So my comments were prejudiced.
I don't think so.

Here in London that idiot lead singer of "So solid crew" just got nicked for carrying a loaded revolver.

Now kids on the streets listen to the garbage that these s!itbags spill, and try to be like them.
So they adopt the hooded tops, their baseball caps, and baggy trousers, talk with stupid fake american accents, and think it is cool to carry guns and knives.

Yea rap and hip-hop are so cool. They take the sh!t from one getto and spread it across the rest of the world! Just like a cancer spreading though the body!

I don't live in a getto, so why would I want to listen to someone rapping about how sh!t their life is?

Oh yea and of course rappers teach people how to respect other people too don't they!!!
Yea you B!tch Ho!

Sorry but it really is a load of Sh!t.
And Leo, I won't be listening to any of this garbage, as I prefer my music to lift my spirit, rather than make me want to commit violent crime.

C..

Chang Style Novice
03-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Colin -

You may not be a bigot, but you sure can't seem to tell form from content.

premier
03-07-2002, 04:23 PM
I listen to a lot of stuff. It's just that I've been broke lately and haven't been able to buy anything new. I'm sure all hiphop people understand what I'm going through ;)

Anyway. as some of you have realized my nick premier is taken from DJ premier from Gangstarr. One of my all time favourite groups. Primo's beats and Guru's flows fit together perfectly. Just like Taleb Kweli, Mos Def and Hi-tek. Blackstar is another favourite of mine. I haven't bought the reflection eternal yet. The older stuff from Nas is tight, just like Big L. I also listen to Outkast, BEP, Jurassic 5, Grouch & Eligh, Akinyele and some gangsta stuff like 2pac, Snoop, Dr. Dre etc. And of course rapping in my own language. Crews like Ceebrolistics, Vapaapudotus, Tulenkantajat, Ezkimo, Fintelligens, MC Taakibörsta etc.

premier

Yung Apprentice
03-07-2002, 05:30 PM
I feel sorry for you if all it takes to get you to want to commit violent crimes is rap music. Thats kinda like saying people don't kill guns do. Not taking responsability for one's own actions. I tend to put gangsta rap in the same category as action movies. It's entertainment, and if you want to commit crimes, just from listening to music or watching a movie, then you are a weak person. Plus not all rap is negative. Not all rap is gangsta, or talk about guns. The sad truth is, to many here in the states, this is a way of life. But to have kids in your country imitate something that they do not know anything about, well it sounds to me like you have a lot of stupid people in your country.

diego
03-07-2002, 08:10 PM
but my speakers are better, everything of mines is exclusive.

Sharky
03-07-2002, 09:01 PM
I'm staying out of this.

I do, now, however, hate African Tiger, and hope he goes to hell.

dezhen2001
03-08-2002, 05:31 AM
Hi Colin,

i don't agree with what you said, but it certainly helped get this discussion to the top ;)

Bands like the So Solid Crew are much more commercial garage nowadays. They started underground and were pretty hot, but now they're more famous things change...

UK hiphop is just as good as that from the US IMO. Check out people like Rodney P, Malachi, 57th Dynasty, Mark B and Blade, Ca$hino, there's a lot of talent over here. (for all you US guys - if u ain't head them chack it out!) Also from the US: Talib Kweli, A Tribe Called Quest, Gangstarr, Jurassic-5, Dilated Peoples - none of those guys are Gangsta, and they're amazing artists IMO.

I'm not from the 'ghetto' either, but have had struggles and problems in my life so can relate to the music. For instance, some of 2pacs lyrics (before he went to Deathrow) really gave me hope to carry on when i was having a really shlt existence. Yes, i also like the Gangsta stuff - but that's because the beats are great! :D
I wasn't always in to Hiphop though. Before i used to listen to more mainstream music like (OMG) Phil Collins. <--- even 2pac sampled one of his tracks so that's cool :)
Nowadays i mainly listen to and buy Hiphop, but also a wide range of other things (except Metal/Rock). I used to listen to straight up Gangsta, but now i've 'grown out' of it... What interests me more is lyrics that are thought provoking and have some meaning, instead of the commercial stuff that's out now.

Anyway, just my $0.02 :p

david

Leonidas
03-08-2002, 07:17 AM
Your right Dezhen, Commercialism does change people, for good or worse(in most cases worst). Ja Rule for instance was "hollerin" Murda Inc. with a bunch of his "homies" when he first came out. Now he's trying to sing hooks (horribly at that) on love songs at Jay Leno. His music used be better ironically when he was talking gangsta garbage. Some artist seem to "lose it" when they go commercial, (Jay Z for one) like it becomes a chore for them, just selling records is important. Blueprint is a cup coaster to me. I seriously hated it. That was one of my issues with it too. Problem is all i buy is commercial music, and thats what most people listen anyway(reason for opinions and misconceptions) everyone doesn't dig for underground artist, they go to the local sam goody and thats it. Im gonna check out some of the names listed. Hopefully i wont be dissapointed.

Kristoffer
03-08-2002, 10:00 AM
Leonidas, If you have such a problem with comercial music.. Then how the flaming **** can u listen to Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit???? :confused:
The 2 Brittney Spears of rock music. Hate `em.

Kristoffer
03-08-2002, 10:03 AM
Premier - have u heard any swedish rap?
I've heard some Fintelligens and I must say that it's the biggest piece of crap I've ever heard :D

premier
03-08-2002, 10:23 AM
Kristoffer

LOL. Yeah. that new stuff is terrible, but there was some nice tracks on their first album. But basically Fintelligens is just doing what Petter does, but in finnish. I've heard some swedish stuff. I don't like it that much, because I can't really understand what they're saying. I got Feven's album for free, but wouldn't have ever bought it =) I heard Looptroop is doing some good ****, but then again they're rapping in english =)

premier

Sharky
03-08-2002, 11:34 AM
All music is commercial. Otherwise it wouldn't be released, it'd just be made for the fun of it, then stored in a cupboard and only listened to by a few people. Hence the "commerce" in "commercial". The music i make might not sound like it is made for mainstream, but i am going on the fact that my music is (hopefully) good and so other people will like it, and then buy it (when i get to that stage).

Why do people make music really? Sure its for the fun of it, but when it becomes your job, you have to be serious about it.

I really don't mind P Diddy and Ja Rule. They have their place in the field, and they are masters of playing the industry. If not them, whoever controls them. Fair play to them. Catchy hooks sell records - see P Diddy's Bad Boys 4 Life song. And if you go into any club, you'll see what it's all about - DANCING. Play any of the ish and all the girls will run onto the floor. It's more about the sound of it than the message etc. It's often just about dancing. And dancing is good, because it's foreplay, and it helps guys pull girls.

Jay lo and ja rule probably let loads of blokes pull birds. And for this, i thank them.

Justa Man
03-08-2002, 12:06 PM
i guess people like colin have their place in the field too.
anyone from nyc catch 89.1 wednsday night? it was their 4 year anniversary and mad head came through to freestyle. i think it was wordsworth that dropped some real ill ish. "...type of chick to break your heart and forget the crazy glue"

here's a short list of maybe-not-so-well-known songs to download...just cuz i'm in a list making mood:

cage - radiohead
cage - agent orange
mf doom - rhymes like dimes
mf doom - hey!
y@k ballz - y@k skywalker
edan - syllable practice
cannibal ox - pigeon
cannibal ox or vastaire - adversity strikes
atmosphere - god's bathroom floor
atmoshere - nothin but sunshine
j-live - epilogue
j-live - yes!
j-zone - inaguration day

go git em!

Sharky
03-08-2002, 12:14 PM
cannibal ox are indeed very good.

Justa Man
03-08-2002, 12:26 PM
try and find that adversity strikes joint. it's and older job but one of vastaire's tightest.

Chang Style Novice
03-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Gotta make sure you fools (with excellent taste in East Coast hiphop) don't sleep on the west.

Download some Azeem, his album Craft Classic is exactly that.

Try some Haiku D'etat, Fat Jack, AceyAlone, Living Legends, Pep Love, and so on.

Also, the new Def Jux Presents Two compilation is so nice you could introduce it to your family.

Justa Man
03-08-2002, 01:21 PM
hell yes. def jux 2 is bananas. anything on it that you are particularly feeling? i jones that masai bey joint. the beat is out of control. i think that's rjd2. he's nice.
i like living legends. and was thinking of scooping some aceyalone. any advice on which lp i should get? i heard his release from 95-96 is tight. i'll dig up on the others. thanks cs novice!

Chang Style Novice
03-08-2002, 01:31 PM
For Acey, start at the beginning, the 93 and 94 albums by Freestyle Fellowship, To Whom It May Concern and Bullies of the Block. His first solo joint is the nicest, it's called All Balls Don't Bounce, but is probably pretty hard to find. The follow up, Book of Human Language is also great, but a lot more experimental. I love it, but a lot of folks consider it too wierd. His new one, Accepted Eclectic is about 1/2way between the other two. Haiku D'Etat is Acey, Abstract Rude, and Mikah 9. About as experimental as Book of Human Language, with a live band on most tracks - dope, but unconventional.

As for DJP2, I like the El-P/Vast Aire joint, the Atoms Family joint, and the one with the drony, wahwah-sounding bass. But there's really nothing wrong with the entire album.

Also, a lost classic single - The Brink by Animal Pharm. Incredible beat, and sick, sick rhymes. My favorite:

"In earlier times I would rhyme at the drop of a dime designing my freestyle lines one second ahead of the time I said 'em (go get 'em!)"

Also, check the Tex-nique; K-Otix from Houston are incredible. The Are, their producer, is a DJ Premier protogee who really gets the sound right.

rogue
03-08-2002, 02:45 PM
"Let me summarize the themes of a typical rap song. slappin' b!tches, "bussin" guns, pimpin' ho-es with huge racks and big bottoms, "rockin" ice(jewelry) and drivin' phat a$$ whips with 20 inch rims (did i miss anything). Basically being a "gangsta" or a "playa" with witty ways of saying your going to kill someone. "

And they still ride the bus (with money they'e moms gave them) to the club hoping that some fat (not phat) girl will put out.

Old School Still Rules, it was more about fun, style and saying something constructive.

Africa Bombata
Cool Mo Dee
Sugar Hill Gang
GM Flash and the Furious Five
LL Cool J
Beastie Boys

Everybody do the Humpty Dance!
Hit it Run!!!

Justa Man
03-08-2002, 03:00 PM
does KC even check this post?

KC Elbows
03-08-2002, 03:17 PM
Yes I do,
I'm just sparing you the rhymes
whenever I can
and all the info has been
worth Colin's whine
so your time
was well spent.

Sharky
03-08-2002, 06:54 PM
LL Cool J needs to be castrated.

Leonidas
03-09-2002, 01:10 AM
Do you people actually read someones entire post or just the parts you dont like? I stated Limp Di(k and Linkin Park were examples of Rapcore. I dont think theres a person alive who respects Limp Bizkit anymore but he made it famous, and theres a reason people separate underground and commercial Sharky. Meaning most people dont listen to it or never heard of the arist. There not completely inaccessible but not exactly mainstream either (they wont be seen on TRL anytime soon)..........................am i understood now.

Kristoffer
03-09-2002, 12:42 PM
Leonidas, we still love ya man :D don't worry

Sharky, Justa, CSN,,, D.amn! U guys have really made me listen to alot of new rap. B4, I just listened to everything as just 'rap'.. Now I think most of it is **** compared to the above. Thank's alot :rolleyes:

Premier-
HaHa yeah Petter aint a rap genious really. All about the money, all his rap's r about making money etc etc. Like Jay-Z.. Hmm and feven isn't the best out there at all. Listen to these:
U may like this a little better. (posted this in my old rap thread hehe)
http://www.svendetta.com/real/rv/ram/53-lan.ram

http://www.svendetta.com/real/rv/ram/48-lan.ram

http://www.svendetta.com/real/rv/ram/20-lan.ram

http://www.svendetta.com/real/rv/ram/45-lan.ram

SevenStar
03-09-2002, 06:42 PM
d@mn...I'm gone a few weeks and this is what I miss?

Lemme see, who do I listen to...

Anything by the WU, even though I like some of their stuff better than others
Dialated peoples
Jamal - I dunno if he still does anything, But I used to really feel his CD "Last Chance, No Breaks"
Mos Def
DMX - (shut up Sharky) :p
The old Nas
Jay-Z - (shut up Sharky)
Eminem - (shut up Sharky)
heiroglyphics
artifacts
the roots

When it comes to freestyle, eminem is tight
RassKass is a true lyricist

"I strike a still pose/and hit you wit some ill flows
that don't even make sense/like dykes using d1ldos" Eminem - in either "Flyest material" with Mos Def, or Anyman - can't remember which

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me/
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

"Mess up ya face and lips/slit ya stomach and watch your gut split
cut you wit the razor that I use to shave my nuts wit..." - Eminem - "weed lacer" freestlye with dilated peopled

"I brush my teeth wit amphetimines and rinse wit listerine/
so I can be fresh and spit dope rhymes in between" - Rass Kass

"I'm movin in for tha kill, an I already got tha trap set/
I can tell you whack as hell - an I ain't even heard you rap yet" - Eminem in the freestyle olympics

"I heard you rap before, you ain't about sh*t/this whole battle is mismatched like your outfit
try to battle me and get your mouth split/you sold out like the ticket master outlet" - Eminem

last one...

"I'm about to make this mic short ciruit/This beat is whack as f**k, this ish fits you perfect/ I got so many ways to diss you that I'm playful wit you/I let a razor split you till they have to staple stitch you/and everybody in this f*cking place will miss you/ if you try to turn my facial tissue to a racial issue/nobody's hearing you,you're a liar/d@mn, all your white jokes just backfired/see now you're barking up the wrong tree/so go and tell your boys that you just got beat by a honky"

Justa Man
03-09-2002, 07:52 PM
eminem does have some of the tightest freestlyes, but i think he writes them sh!ts beforehand. that 'staple stitch you' bit i've heard and don't think he can come off the head that tight. ras is tellin people things they aren't ready for....soul on ice rmx, music is business...hoooo! :)

7star, have your heard em's radio freestyles?
"....it's only fair to warm i was born with a pair of horns..."
"...i'm keepin it raw, illegal like malik and jamal, cuz i don't believe in the law, like i'm steven segal, flippin off police like i'm leapin the wall..."
"...i'll punch you in your tummy and make you sick to your stomach and vomit so much blood your clothes stick to you from it..."
woo! nothin like eminem before he rode those mtv waves. i got one side of a 90 with mad eminem radio "freestyles" from around '96-'97. straight battle sh!t. lov-a-lee.

CSN, i'm FEELIN azeem. tiiight, casual, nice! that 'simple thing' joint....hooooo!!! :D can't find pep love, fat jack or that animal farm, but am currently capturing more azeem, haiku, and the ball don't bounce release.
:) good looks meng!! :)

get a hold of 'home****' by y@kballz. "...that's why i'm blessin it with messeges off hand like a palm reader..."
copywrite is another tight lyrical mc. go git em!
ah, colin does NOT know what he's missin.

SevenStar
03-09-2002, 08:19 PM
I need a copy of that tape. I dunno if he writes em all before hand, but yeah, maybe some -

"crews died from an overdosage of excessive flavor/aggressive nature got me sticking you for your progressive pager
spectacular, battle rap manufaturer/stole ya momma's acura, wrecked it and sold it back to her..."

I think weedlacer was pre written.

Soul on Ice? Man what you saying - that track has a spot reserved on my mp3 player.

You know what Jamal is up to now? He's been quiet lately. I figure there's prolly some underground stuff of his up there though

Sharky
03-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Indeed, they are written. The reason emcee's spit writtens on a radio show etc is cos if you are trying to promote your ish, then you need to make sure what you're doing is as good as you can do, which you can't usually do if you freestyle - what if you have a bad day? "Just spit an ill written, it's easier" is the attitude, and it's very understandable. I wish more emcee's would do both. Although i haven't freestyled for ages, i have no one to rhyme with and so.... *shrugs*

It's out of order if people pretend that they are doing freestyles when they are not, though.

If you want to see a real eminem freestyle, try downloading his freestyle for like 20mins with proof, which is all real freestyle. Proof, from d12, is actually much better at freestyling than em, imho. Also he has a freestyle called "rhyming words" where proof calls out random words and em has to incorporate them into his rhyme etc (this is actually easier than freestyling straight imo). They seem to be genuine.

But it is normal for emcees to flip between written and freestyle. It's just what you do. It's usual for emcees to go into freestyle battles with punches already in their heads - maybe it shouldn't happen but everyone does it.

seven - eminem is good, sort of, jay z i can understand, but DMX is.... bleh.... ;)

diego
03-10-2002, 06:01 PM
Aaron hall and nas should team up and take out gayz and his boytoy rkelli

uno that biggie line bout to **** your carrear like aaron hall did to by rkelli

well with this whole kelli tape ish poppn

its a garunty mr.halls bout to make a comeback:rolleyes:

eh shark about that free, one thing i found is cool about the sway*kingtech wakeupshow, wich is about to be back on the air, is whenever wu dudes like gza would comeon, it was always a mix between newwrittens, and off the head cadence buildup patterns, like he would just rhyme exentuation4free till he caught the feel of the beat, then he'd come in with some select paragraphs from verses off is new album, coolness about that is, the album dont come out till three months later, then you go back and listen to your dub, i just be like ****, **** you up like a freak inna elevator........

Chang Style Novice
03-10-2002, 06:52 PM
Justa (and heck, anyone else)

email me at austin@swinburn.net with a snail mail address and I'll toast a few special selections from my private stock. I don't do whole albums, 'cause I feel people need to support artists, but a nice mix? Oh, yeah.

"Emotion from the potion got the catalogue tarnished
I promise f*** your head up like the local barber college
It's a Smple Ting"

-Azeem

diego
03-10-2002, 08:19 PM
me voice

so if i send you my addy you promise not to stalk me like you did to dragonchakra, left him really upset how you kept callin, think he quit posting.

So whatsup you8 make mixedtapes or sumpn
where they loop the record with another piece of vinyl, have you seen those dudes who pull the record back then letitgo, wich makes a quirkey noise simila to scratching your back if you have on a tracksuit, whats that called agian

Define yaself, with clear expression sall yougot2do
and il bless you with my area codes

So whatsup

funny how rap kids type, but dont talk to they bosses like dat, WORD. pUNCTUATION N ALL....

Chang Style Novice
03-10-2002, 08:31 PM
Diego

Naw, I won't stalk ya. You live too far away. I haven't even stalked JWT, spamming him with left wing propaganda and whatnot (tempting as it is - I hate to see nice guys like him give in to the dark side.)

My mixes will simply be collections of songs. I have no DJ skills or anything like that. Just 75 minutes or so of dope sounds that I suspect you haven't heard. Not neccesarily all hiphop, either. I like lots of kinds of music, but definitely no more than one CD of highly eclectic material per shipment. All others will be straight up hiphop funk.

Blank CDRs are so cheap these days (I picked up 200 for $15 a couple weeks ago) that why not spread the wealth?

"Imma separatist sexist
A deathwish specialist
With a checklist
And hollowtips
Made just for politics
And I'm looking...
For a job. Anybody hiring?"
-Azeem, 'Imma (remix)'

PS: I nearly forgot to mention that there is a catch. I seek balance in all things, and for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So you gotta hit me off in return. If you got demos of your own material that's great. If you have local stuff I probably haven't heard, that's great too. I prefer homeburned CDs, but if you only have access to a tape deck that's fine. I think that's only fair, don't you?

diego
03-10-2002, 08:48 PM
so youd be surprised what im privy to

I'l send you an emial after dinndinn:p
peaz

jun_erh
03-10-2002, 09:09 PM
Def Jux is wack. so called underground hip hop is just pg rated Young mc tributes. Cormega, Big L, CNN, The Mobb is the real ****.

diego
03-10-2002, 10:13 PM
you heard kidfrosts joint from 86 THETERMINATOR

ill
Check your emial

Chang Style Novice
03-10-2002, 10:17 PM
Well, that's like, your opinion, man...</Lebowski>

But seriously, I'm curious how you arrived at that conclusion. Except for the fact that both are recognizably rap, I don't hear any similarities between Cannibal Ox and Young MC. Are you just stirring up sh!t, perhaps, or have you actually heard the DJP2 compilation? It's noisy, distorted, dissonant, and full of complex wordplay that's deliberately alienating. Not bouncy, poppy, clear, and full of mild double entendres about high-school dating.

edit - to Jun-erh

Justa Man
03-10-2002, 10:21 PM
it's simple csn...he came to that conclusion via the liberal visitation rights with crack pipes. take it from kmd...stop smokin that sh!t.

no doubt sharky. i'd like to see more mc's drop straight freestyles, but no one wants to come off weak on the air.

diego
03-10-2002, 10:26 PM
half way thru your letter and

check your emial in ten

Chang Style Novice
03-10-2002, 10:31 PM
I'm about to hit the sack, diego. I got a job interview tomorrow, and I want to be on top of things. I'll get back to you in a day or so.

diego
03-10-2002, 10:38 PM
im crashing to, i wrote that letter madquick, and didnt edit, confirm the address i sent, eh
GoodLuck no-doubt.

Chang Style Novice
03-11-2002, 04:36 PM
See, K? (Not KC) It's right here.

KC Elbows
03-11-2002, 04:43 PM
What, me?
Oh, Kristoff, I see
sorry.:)