PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lexington KY

Just_a_Bill
03-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Hello,
I am 24 years old and I live in Lexington KY.* I am very interested in getting into a martial art.* I am hoping to find something that places a big emphasis on protecting ones self in a street defense situation.* I am relatively new to the Lexington area and I was hoping that someone on this forum would be able to point me in the right direction. *

Thanks *

Just_a_Bill

Kuen
03-04-2002, 02:12 PM
I train Ving Tsun Kuen (Wing Chun) in Georgetown, Kentucky which is only about 10 minutes up I-75. We are a branch of Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu schools. If you want anymore details email me HERE (cmbowm2@email.uky.edu). There is not much in the way of quality Kung Fu in this area as a matter of fact ours is the only traceable Chinese martial art lineage I know for a fact to be legitimate.

For more information on the style look here:
Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu (http://www.kungfu-videos.com/)

BeiKongHui
03-04-2002, 05:49 PM
Whatever you do: AVOID SHAOLIN-DO LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!
Now, the University of Kentucky has some clubs such as Judo, Kendo, Aikido, Submission Wrestling, fencing and some more, if you're a student (some are open to everyone) and they're all pretty good with the exceptions of the Shaolin-Do and Shaolym-Ryu clubs.
Stay away from Rick Lewis' Tae Kwon Do, Shaolin Kempo or Four Seasons.
Try Trinn's Karate they are supposed to be pretty good also there is Dragon Kung Fu which teaches WuShu, Kickboxing, Tai Chi, Bagua and Zingyi. There are a lot of con artists in the martial arts here so do a good background check. There is also a good Western Boxing school here called Legends you may wish to check out.

Ray Pina
03-05-2002, 07:14 AM
Look and see before you commit. Moy Yat does have a good name in Wing Chun. He used to teach here in NY. I know some old students of his. He didn't give them any or much hands on training and left it to seniors, but a lot of schools are that way. Chances are where you are the sifu will be more hands on being that he is not "Moy Yat."

If the gentelman is right, that there isnot much there, this would probbaly be your best bet.

Wing CHun is a good style. You'll learn trapping, econimical hitting and sticking. You can take that pretty far. A great foundation.

Good luck. Have fun. Let us know.

BeiKongHui
03-06-2002, 04:03 PM
blah

Radhnoti
03-06-2002, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I was thinkin' about sueing you for shaolin-do, but then I realized I like your posts too much. :D
The only thing I've heard about 4 Seasons is that some of their members acted on one occasion with very little honor, but I'm sure they have a different story (Heard this from two or three sources now though). It's a shame when people start threatening lawsuits over small matters like (I'm assuming) threads like this. You didn't even say anything about them! Just recommended against them...for all he knows your reasons might be because the head guy likes to go to court to settle all his differences.
;)
Unless you've said something else about them in some other thread? Anyway, sorry you've gotta put up with somebody flipping out over nothing like that.

BeiKongHui
03-06-2002, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I'd like to think he was just messin' with me. He obviously ignored the post I made about him a few weeks ago that said:

If you want to learn MMA or NHB type fighting or JKD then 4 Seasons is the best in the area.

Man, you know I mess with you about the Shaolin Do but don't sue me! I only have two nickles to rub together and that guy above is going to sue for one of them! Really, no matter what I think of SD it's sounds like your teacher is a good, honest and caring fellow and that's more important than his ability to fight.

Radhnoti
03-06-2002, 07:18 PM
Yeah! I thought that was you who said that...so much for his "following your post for awile".
But, I noticed you couldn't help but drag SD into the conversation again. My lawyer will be contacting you about that nickel. ;)

"...sounds like your teacher is a good, honest and caring fellow and that's more important than his ability to fight." -BKH

:rolleyes:

LOL, that'll be quite enough "compliments" there BKH...

Just_a_Bill
03-07-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I am hoping to find something with more of an emphasis on fighting skill instead of tradition trappings. I will research the recommendations and check out some classes.

Thanks again

Just_a_Bill