PDA

View Full Version : Iron Monkey!!!

Water Dragon
10-05-2001, 04:21 AM
Just saw the trailer. Looks like another fantasy CMA movie a la Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I'm excited :D

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

Snake
10-05-2001, 04:24 AM
Yeah! Fun movie! Too bad I've owned it own DVD for months. By the way, it is a fun film, but I have a hard time getting excited about it when it has been out on Video/DVD for a long time.

Snake
"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

Water Dragon
10-05-2001, 04:27 AM
First I've heard of it. So it's good, huh??

Nutt'nhunny
10-05-2001, 04:37 AM
yeah, but like sooo 10 years ago. Thats the movie that will give you a hard on for a chain whip. Excellent fight scenes.

Water Dragon
10-05-2001, 04:43 AM
Well ******, I'm still gonna be excited about it. So let's go with the flow and pretend it's brand new, mmmmmkay???

Chang Style Novice
10-05-2001, 05:09 AM
Fuggeddabowdid. People had sex way before you got your cherry popped, but that didn't take any of the fun out of it for you, right?

Silumkid
10-05-2001, 05:27 AM
Yeah, that movie came out in 1993. For you who have not yet seen it, it is pretty good. Let's hope that it isn't a *******ized Americanized badly dubbed version like Disney/Buena Vista did with Fist of Legend.

We are trained in wushu; we must protect the Temple!

MonkeySlap Too
10-05-2001, 05:28 AM
Saw like five or so years ago. Have it on DVD now. Easily the most fun HK flick I've ever seen.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Snake
10-05-2001, 05:42 AM
I wouldn't own the film on DVD if I didn't think it was a good film. I'll I'm saying is that I wish they would bring something NEW out, like Zu 2 (Which I hear isn't that good, but still!). On the plus side, if you enjoy the film, you can go buy it right away, and you don't have to wait 6 to 8 months! :)

Snake
"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson

Daniel Madar
10-05-2001, 05:54 AM
is a girl.

Just so you don't post about how great "he" is.

Merciless is Mercy.

Shaolindynasty
10-05-2001, 06:46 AM
Yeah I've had it for like 2 years on VHS. Cool flick though I like the fight between Donnie Yen and the monks with the daggers

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

atsai
10-05-2001, 09:36 AM
Miramax, the studio who imported Drunken Master 2, is the US distributor. I don't know what Miramax did to dm2 (watched the original cantonese version myself), but many people werent too happy about it (another badly dubbed kung fu film?).

Quentin Tarantino, HK cinema buff and kung fu film junkie, presented the movie at his film festival this year; he command you to see Iron Monkey! I haven't watch the movie, but it's start to build some hype now.

here's Tarantino telling you to watch this movie...! (http://homepage.mac.com/johnsmallberries/.Movies/IM-AICN-trailer320.mov)

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art Tsai " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

fiercest tiger
10-05-2001, 10:14 AM
The girl that plays wong fei hong in iron monkey and she is a yau kung mun student in hongkong? i demo'd with her in hongkong back in 1994 at the ykm 70th anniversary on stage in front of the ykm grandmaster!

i have it all on video! ;)

she is now in the olypic hongkong wushu team i was told when i was in hongkong this year in april. :D

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Yuen
10-05-2001, 04:50 PM
Anyone know where to get the trailer?

Kung Lek
10-05-2001, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I saw the trailer.

Is this a remake of the original Iron Monkey flick or a rerelease of the original version that's been "slicked" up a bit?

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

Yuen
10-05-2001, 09:06 PM
I guess it is just a re-release of the film which was originally released in 1993. However it should contain some additions.

atsai
10-05-2001, 11:29 PM
Try this one, http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/iron_monkey/

This is just the re-release of the original one in 93. I Hope Miramax left the original sound track alone and use subtitle--since I never watch the film.

Yuen, I don't know about Finland, but if you can find a chinese video store, just ask the clerk, do you have iron monkey and if so, may I see it? :D :p

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art Tsai " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

cho
10-06-2001, 01:09 AM
will we be seeing more of Woo Ping's old movies released in theaters? Tai Chi Master, maybe. Perhaps Once Upon A Time in China series will get the screen.

LA Times or some other newspaper, says Iron Monkey action is "better than the Matrix".

Paul Skrypichayko
10-06-2001, 02:08 AM
Great, it's about time these old films are getting the recognition they deserve in the west.

Blockbuster video is carrying all the Jet Li "Wong Fei Hung" movies; now called "once upon a time in china 1-3". Hopefully tai chi master, new legend of shaolin, and other ones come out for the mass market.

There's also an old Iron Monkey movie from the late 70's. I think it was a Shaw Bros flick with Lau Kar Hui.

Chang Style Novice
10-06-2001, 02:16 AM
Anyone remember this one? It might be the first kung fu movie I ever saw all the way through, on TV circa '79 or '80 in Oakland CA.

I don't remember much, except that our hero (or possibly several heroes) had a training sequence that was revisited in his/their final lethal showdowns with several villians. One of these involved kicking a headsized stone into the air and twisting it apart in two with bare hands, which later became twisting a villians head in two. Another was sending what appeared to be a chain made of several long sharp blades (more like a three section staff than a chain whip or rope dart) through several trees - twenty minutes or so later, he impales several villians at once with the same weapon. My best guess is that these were two different guys, but probably brothers - I think there were more that I've forgotten.

Ringing any bells?