PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Mantis

TaiChiStorm
03-05-2002, 02:59 AM
Hey Guys ,
I've heard of an wooden dummy ,especially created for Pm. I can't remember for what particular style ,but this was very special:
The dummy was like hanging on a tree or something ,so that it moved when it got attacked.
Have you heard about this???

18elders
03-05-2002, 06:25 AM
It was featured in IKF a while back.
The guys name is steve robinson, he lives in tennessee.
His brother-in-law is Ponglai so you may contact him if you want further info. You will have to wait a month as he will be in taiwan.

Tainan Mantis
03-05-2002, 06:55 AM
He joined AD's school the week after I did.
Is this some kind of WL wooden dummy?

Ye Gor
03-06-2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Tainan Mantis
He joined AD's school the week after I did.

You actually remember that?!

TaiChiStorm
03-08-2002, 08:29 AM
THANX A LOT!!!

Fire Horse
03-10-2002, 12:27 PM
By the way, there's a wooden dummy form in Taiji Praying Mantis. I believe the wooden dummy is the same type as the one used in Wing Chun.

Cheers

mantis108
03-10-2002, 12:47 PM
There is a Wooden Dummy Form (108 moves) that can be practiced with a woodwn dummy with Wing Chun specs. Perferrably it would be a good idea to make one that has a wider guard (distance between the 2 upper arms). This would give a better workout for the footwork; however, using a WC type dummy is perfectly fine.

Mantis108

PS we still have some of the Wooden Dummy form books available.

TaiChiStorm
03-11-2002, 03:23 AM
Really?? That's surprising me!! I will ask my shifu about that form. I'd be interested in such a book. Do you have other books on PM?? Cause here there is absolutely NOTHING about that style. Who created this 108 form??

mantis108
03-11-2002, 12:19 PM
Hi TaiChiStorm,

This Wooden Dummy form is unique to Taiji Praying Mantis and is belonged to Grandmaster Chiu Chuk Kai 's lineage specificly.

When GM Chiu (my Sigung) was training as a young disciple in the temple in Shantung, China, he trained with a rudimentary wooden dummy. He practiced mostly loose movements with it. They were largely Long Fist techniques. I believe it wasn't even strung together in a form. Later he relocated to Macao, where he joined a brotherhood with 12 other people in a special ceremony. One of his 12 sworn brothers was Chu Chun Man, who was a Wing Chun practitioner. Sifu Chu owned a Kwoon, which had a Wooden Dummy. Sigung was inspired by his brother that he combined the Tai Tzu Men and Taiji Praying Mantis Techniques to created this form. The prototypical version was quite "away" from the Dummy, but the definitive version which is in the book is much more “sticking” to the Dummy. Perhaps it was the Wing Chun "inspiration" that we now enjoy this unique legacy of a Grandmaster.

The form has 108 moves, which is a significant number in Buddhism in China, is to commemorate GM Chiu first masters who were Buddhist monks.

I have shown this form, related Sau Fa (applications) and a related drill to Tainan Mantis, who was impressed with the Tai Tzu Duan Da and Taiji Praying Mantis Sau Fa that are injected into this form.

For further infomation on all things concerning TJPM please visit our forum:

TJPM Forum (http://forums.delphiforums.com/Taijimantis/start)

Hope this help

Mantis108