PDA

View Full Version : N Scrima's Tournament in April

isol8d
03-05-2002, 07:48 AM
I've seen it kicked around in various threads that some people here are going. Is anyone here competing? What are you doing? No specifics, just wondering if you're doing forms, sparring, weapons, etc. It would be good to see some people show off their hard work. I'm still debating if I should pay the extra $$$ to tape the Masters Demo.

NorthernMantis
03-06-2002, 02:20 PM
Yeah I'll try to go. I was going to tgo at sparring but it looks like there won't be enough money, I'll get my but handed to me anyways.

I'll be doing an ampty hand form and a broadsword form and staff.

anyone else going?

SaMantis
03-06-2002, 03:53 PM
Hey NM,

That's what I'm doing!! (empty hand form, broadsword and staff) Great minds think alike?

I haven't decided which hand form I'm doing yet.

yu shan
03-10-2002, 05:30 PM
Northern Mantis

Are you Hispanic or what? I grew up fighting with you guys, and you will not get your butt handed to you. The best fighter`s I`ve ever been up against were Hispanics! I grew up in Tampa, A potpourri of nationalities, whites, blacks, tally`s and spanish. Combine your inner-city stuff w/ the Chinese way, it`s not a bad combo. I`m sure I`ll catch heck on this.

Are you guys doing Cont. broadsword and right hd st.? I have an idea what empty you will do.

SaMantis
03-11-2002, 05:38 PM
Hi, yu shan --

I'll probably be doing basic broadsword and 16 styles stick; haven't decided which empty hand form I'm doing yet. I'm looking at either straight form or little mantis; straight form's not my favorite but I've been practicing it longer.

Sam

isol8d
03-13-2002, 10:40 AM
Anyone going to any of the masters seminars?

NorthernMantis
03-14-2002, 12:12 PM
Hey yu shan are you that anxious to see me get clobbered?;) lol We'll see what happens.I can go the problem is the money. There's lot's of things that are tending to get in the way right now like gf's annyversary and clothes and stuff.Looks like I'm gonna have to beg for some moolah so I can go.

yu shan
03-14-2002, 09:58 PM
isol8d

I understand Nick`s keeping it just for Master`s not for Shr Fu`s, the demo I mean.

NorthernMantis

Who says you have to compete? You learn alot by watching, if it`s not affordable for you, atleast show up, learn, and have fellowship. It is going to be difficult for me as well. I am returning from Taiwan 5 days before the tournament. The wife is gonna be ticked when she finds out I`m off to the airport again. I will be bringing some students for the fun. It will be extra special because I hopefully will meet all of you.

SaMantis

Encourage Hua Lin on his Shr Fu test, he deserves this challenge! I can bet you he is well prepared.

Hua Lin Laoshi
03-15-2002, 03:59 PM
No offense to the Sifus but all Masters sounds good to me. Any info on the lineup?

yu shan
03-15-2002, 06:26 PM
Hua Lin

Ditto friend, I was hoping you knew who will be there. I`ll ask 18-Elders, he`s good friends with Nick.

18elders
03-16-2002, 04:41 PM
don't know what masters will be there.
I think "masters demo" is always a bad title, i actually like more of the demonstrators that are not masters. In wah lum tourn.2000, i would rather watch the little kids from china than some of the masters!!!

yu shan
03-16-2002, 08:10 PM
18 Elders

Weren`t the kids from China in your ring a couple of times? You were lucky.
Not to be disrespectful, for those at T2000, the WL skit has to go. You guys and gals have so much talent to waist it with humorous,satirical acting. The building was full of MA students Shr fus and Masters. Go out there and blow everybody away with the dynamic stuff you guys have, it`s your time to shine. Please, I`m not bashing at all, just my opinion.

SaMantis
03-16-2002, 09:13 PM
No insult taken!

Actually, the skit is a ploy to knock people off guard. Bad guys see the performance, think, "these guys suck!" and head over to the temple to cause trouble. Then we regulate. :D (j/k)

yu shan
03-16-2002, 10:59 PM
Now SaM, you guys don`t suck! In the old days, there were challenges. In those days, I feel WL had Great fighters as well as the usual dynamics of forms and weapons. My personal favorite was about a kung fu brother named Troy. This person was very good at fighting, from what I saw, mainly from a kick boxing career. I have to think MC taught Troy some stuff.Older Kung Fu brothers know Troy, I would like to know why he is gone? Been some years since then. I have to admit, good WL fighters, were prolific under AD. also! Do yourself a favor, and ask 18 Elders about Troy in China. Mopped up!

Hua Lin Laoshi
03-18-2002, 09:28 AM
You can get an idea of who will be there by looking at the seminars at http://www.wugong.net/tournament/seminarinfo.html

My interest in the Masters is the fact that someday they won't be around and I would definitely like to see some of them before they're gone.

I'm with you on the skits at T2000. It's still a little bit of a sore piont with me that I was relegated to spectator. That was the big Wah Lum international event and there won't be another one. It's just as well since I'm only interested in performing martial arts, not acting.

yu shan
Troy still comes around for sparring class. Troy knows how to utilize the mantis techniques but I think most of his fighting ability comes from his previous Karate training. He's currently training Muy Thai, Wing Chun and others. He trains hard and that's really why he's so good.

I've had the good fortune to train with most of the Wah Lum legends. Troy, Sean, Tracy, Dean, George, Tu. Hopefully I'll make it into that category some day.;)

SaMantis
03-18-2002, 12:57 PM
yep, I've heard the legends about Troy but only recently met him. He's a very nice guy. Unfortunately haven't had a chance to see him spar -- I think our schedules are different.

And excuse me while I go all girly for a moment ... woww, he's buff! :D