PDA

View Full Version : Broken Rib

Qi dup
03-05-2002, 08:03 AM
Well, I'm kind of bummed Because the last two or three weeks I was really getting into my work out and seeing some good gains. I gained 5 pounds. I started eating enough protein to equal my body weight, lots of carbs, I started eating a lot of carbs and protein pretty soon after my work and really tried to do everything right. Saturday, I broke my rib. I've had 3 cracked ribs in the past but actually breaking one is pretty crap. It's just real uncomfortable. Even lying flat on my back. What I was wondering since I can't work out at all for at least a week or two, How can I keep on the muscle I've gain latly? Should i continue to eat lots of carbs and protein? Any ways I can heal my rib faster? I don't have any dit da jow, or else I would be all over that. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks everyone!

guohuen
03-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Yeah, help. I broke one last Thursday and all I have is Tiger Balm. It helps. Problem is it hurts to breath deep, cough or laugh and I'm finding too many things funny!

Arhat of Fury
03-05-2002, 11:32 AM
As far as retaining the weight goes, your best bet is to cut back a little equally on the carbs and protein. Stay with the same ratio(if it works for you) just cut the amount. With you not doing any excercise you are not burning any calories, so with this in mind you can afford not to eat as much. You may get a little soft while your healing, but if you eat almost as much as you did and muscle memory kicks in you will get it right back and return to your solid pounage. Lots of nutritious foods also aid in your healing process.

AOF

Qi dup
03-05-2002, 11:48 AM
Thanks AOF, I apreciate the advise. Cutting back the calories shouldn't be to hard except that I was getting used to eating a lot of food all the time. but this isn't so bad. I'm hoping to be able to stat doing some weights in about a week. Thanks again.

I'll have to try the tiger balm guohuen, i'm sure I've got some laying around somewhere.

BSH
03-05-2002, 02:22 PM
If you can't get Dit Da, you might want to try Tin Tzat Do Jeong (sp?) from your local herbalist.

IronFist
03-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Ouch, man. I hope it heals soon so you can resume training.

IronFist

Qi dup
03-06-2002, 05:35 PM
I might give that try BHS, It's pretty hard to find good herbs here, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Iron, It's actually doing pretty well and Since i've been layed up I've been able to read a lot about nutrition and stuff like that. So I guess it's not all bad but i'm getting pretty tired of lying around. Oh well, it's not so bad:)

fmann
03-06-2002, 06:19 PM
Your doc checked out your ribs right? Is this a fracture or a clean break?

I personally wouldn't rub anything like dit da jow for fear of displacing the broken rib even more, especially if it's a floating rib.

Rest and relaxation work the best and perhaps magnetic therapy. There are no herbal remedies that I know of that have been scientifically proven to increase the speed that your body regenerates bone.

As far as inflammation, swelling, and pain are concerned, these unfortunately are your best friends in preventing things from getting worse.