PDA

View Full Version : This has probably been discussed to death but...

Mantis_Hand
03-05-2002, 09:51 AM
What style(s) does Jackie Chan practice? I don't really have an eye for these things and I've seen tons of his movies. I know he got most of his training from Opera School but I have no idea what they train the kids there in.

I'm just curious what styles he employs in his movies and in real life. Seems like a lot of in-fighting that would lead me to believe he's done a lot of Wing Chun but also when playing Wong Fei Hung in Drunken Master 2, was he actually using Hung Gar?

dezhen2001
03-05-2002, 11:02 AM
have you read his book "my life in action". It describes the training he did while at the Opera school

david

Arhat of Fury
03-05-2002, 11:17 AM
Sorry, I have to take this oppurtunity to blast......................

Jackie Chan is nothing like Jet Li... Jackie practiced 10yrs of wushu and then many forms for movies(just practiced to shoot the movie) where as Jet Li has been practicing since 4 yrs old and is a 4 time wushu champion. The difference is Jet Li is a martial artis and Jackie Chan is more of an actor..................

AOF

dezhen2001
03-05-2002, 11:25 AM
In Jackies book it mentions that he started learning a system of Northern Shaolin from his father when he was a kid, before entering the Opera school at age 6. He left around 17/18, which is around the same time as Jet Li finished competing and made Shaolin Temple.
It also mentions the training regime they followed, which is similar to what Jet also did (punishing 1/2 hour handstands, holding postures, lots of repetition of acrobatics and gong fu...)

I don't think they are too dissimilar really... both use their skills for entertainment and to perform, and are now huge movie starts, after beginning lif ein poverty.

same same

david

Budokan
03-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Yes, Jackie Chan is a movie maker. He's also a martial artist. The two don't have to be mutually exculsive, you know.

Sho
03-05-2002, 02:01 PM
Jackie studied also judo and hapkido along with other styles after leaving Peking Opera.

Sho
03-05-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Arhat of Fury
Jet Li has been practicing since 4 yrs old and is a 4 time wushu champion.Actually Jet started training in wushu at the age of 7-8 and was an all-around winner five times in a row.

Arhat of Fury
03-05-2002, 02:44 PM
Actually Jet started training in wushu at the age of 7-8 and was an all-around winner five times in a row.

Thats funny, I have a documentary of him doing the broadsword form at age eight and it is flawless. It looks like he had been training for more than a year.

Also his official website shows in his biography that he started at 4. Many other interviews back this up.

As for the 4 or 5 time all around champion, I could be wrong, maybe it was 5.

I have seen contradicting statements on when he started.:confused:

AOF

Sho
03-05-2002, 02:57 PM
Arhat of Fury,

Well nevermind, people make mistakes. I have read that Jet started training under Wu Bin at the age of 7-8, but I'm not sure about his practise long before that. Anyway he began doing wushu at school, as people have many options on their sports electives or after-school clubs, similar to Japan's bukatsu. Later he changed to an amateur wushu institute and got more schooltime reduced in order to focus more on wushu.

Anyway something like that. My brain is not functioning properly this late, but perhaps I try to sum it up some other time and get more efficient information which goes chronologically. :)

TaoBoy
03-11-2002, 11:19 PM
RE: Jackie - he calls himself a Chop Suey practitioner. That is, he knows a bit of this and a bit of that. His book is a great place to look. Also, some MA docos have interviews with him on this subject (sorry no titles).

Jet & Jackie are both great examples of martial artists and actors.
Simple as that!

[FYI - I have it on good authority that Jet Li was 6-7yo when he started training in Wushu.]

Yung Apprentice
03-12-2002, 05:25 AM
How come the two have never been in a movie together? I think they would compliment each other well. One is into slapstick and funny. The other is usually real serious. How old are both of them, and does anyone know around the time they started making movies?

Sho
03-12-2002, 05:37 AM
Jet can be funny too! :p

dezhen2001
03-12-2002, 09:19 AM
there is tlak of them being in a movie together... would be cool, if they get a good script :)

david

Yung Apprentice
03-12-2002, 03:19 PM
If that was true, it would be way cool!

Silumkid
03-12-2002, 04:09 PM
Yung, it is true! Go to jetli.com and look under "projects". It says there that they are working on an as yet unnamed project together.

A brief comment from Tsui Hark about the two (Jet and Jackie):
"I think Jackie Chan is very creative, and wants to interact with the director a lot. Jet Li has a real martial arts background, while Jackie has a Peking Opera background, so they have different styles. Jet Li does more hardcore authentic stuff. Jackie has a more agile jumping and flipping style."

Nothing new, just a few words from a man who has worked with them both.

I had also heard that Jackie did some Hapkido...he commented once: "With martial arts, if you look at the basics, they are pretty much all the same."

So there you have it....a lot of nothing added by me.