PDA

View Full Version : Att:evolutionfist

red5angel
03-05-2002, 10:47 AM
how far are you from this place?

http://www.sifugrados.com./

Ray Pina
03-05-2002, 10:58 AM
I live on Long Island, but I'm in Manhattan enough. I didn't see an adress, but I'm in CHinatown twice a week myself training, and come through Penn Station so I'm in Mid town and down town quite often.

Why do you ask? Are there folks there interested in training? Do you train there?

shaolinboxer
03-05-2002, 10:59 AM
This guy does a public tv show now and then that I've seen.

red5angel
03-05-2002, 11:01 AM
I know in the past you have had some bad experiences with the level of WC in your area. This guy is supposed to be pretty good, and watching some of his videos, even if they are choreographed, he still looks good. Just wondering if you knew anything about him.

red5angel
03-05-2002, 11:02 AM
are they local shows?

shaolinboxer
03-05-2002, 11:08 AM
Yeah, they seem to be home vids of his lessons. He usually has 4 or 5 students involved, and spends the half hour show dominating them. It's a local thing, and it's pretty cool, but I can't really say how good he is relative to other WC players.

red5angel
03-05-2002, 11:13 AM
I have heard some mixed things from WC people, but you know how we can be! :rolleyes:
I have never heard anyone deny that he is a good fighter though, I am just interested to know what sort of skill he has in general.

Ray Pina
03-05-2002, 11:37 AM
What day/time is his program on? Is this aired in NYC?

As for Wing Chun, I have no problem with the style or even the level of its practitioners in this area. I'm in fact quite fortunate to have this many people available. My problem arises when people demand that kung fu begins and ends with Wing Chun, yet, the poeple making these statements have NEVER fought S. Mantis, Bak Mei, Hsing-I, Ba Gua, Tai-boxing, ect. All they do is Chi Sau among themselves. So, in that regard, I call BS on everything they are saying.

Of coarse Wing Chun is great and always comes out on top when its WC vs. WC. I do like Wing Chun. What I learned from it was priceless. I couldn't imagiane learning what I'm learning now without those basics, the clinging, sticking, trapping. Now that is understood, and I can learn internal concepts and add them to my fighting style. Though there are things that are completely different that I'm learning too.

I'm actually resting on the fighting people outside my group for a little while. Because it turns into a, "How'd you do that." Then you say I can't say, because I can't. Some material is stressed as "Closed door" only. And that's it. My sifu and training brothers, and the authenticity of E-chuan, means more to me then showing somebody. I just politely say something like, "O, I just didn't roll with you, when you tried to get ontop of my bridge I just hit -- you left yourself open." And its true, but there wa smore to it.

Some people are not dumb, and can sense what happened. So I fight with crew of old brothers now and again who are committed to Hung Gar, Wing Chun or Souther Mantis. We get into these little tiffs too. We all love what we do. In the end we each give and get. Though I do have to say I've been giving a lot more then receiving since studying with my new master.

One WC guy though, about 6'0" 225, solid, gets me now and again with a rolling elbow. Some times I flip it and I have him. Other times he gets me and thats a bad shot to take. Rings my bell.

But, at the same time, I'm sucker for someone who does want to cross hands. I just need to know.

Ray Pina
03-05-2002, 11:40 AM
Thought I'd add that WC guys did study Hung Gar for 6 years and Choy Li Fut for 8 years. Also some phony ballony Hsing-I from a guy from "Wudang Mountain" -- OK:rolleyes:

Anyway, he teaches Hung Gar and Wing Chun now. He's actually pretty good, and the one I respect the most out of his group. He rains harder then anyone I know. For real All the time. Lives at home. Has no job.