PDA

View Full Version : Set comparisons

yingching
03-06-2002, 10:31 AM
The discussion has come up several times about the original forms taught by Wong Long, and the similarties and differences between the different styles of mantis. I am curious however about the weapon sets. Are there different styles that practice similar or the same sets, or are they all completely diffferent?
Also, are there certain sets that are concidered to be much older than others? Possibly created by Wong Long?
Trying to discuss something different,
Ying Ching..

Chinwoo-er
03-06-2002, 11:34 AM
yes. there are sets which goes by the same name. In within the preying mantis, quite similar.

There is a plum blossom spear for shaolin, mantis and eagle claw. But they are all completely different.

When you look at different styles enough, you will find that it is always those names over and over again. Well, people 200 years ago ain't really creative with words. Just moves :p

Tainan Mantis
03-13-2002, 08:02 AM
He is the teacher of GM Jiang Hualong. All PM styles have a relation to these 2 people.

In Taiji PM as taught by the famous master Zhao Zhuhsi in HK and Vietnam is a stick form-Ying Sho Stick- that is from him.

There is not any solid proof that I'm aware of, only what the master told his students. Can anyone add to the story?

mantis108
03-13-2002, 12:47 PM
As far as I know, there are 2 weapon forms that are said to be GM Liang's "creation". Ying Shou Gwan (stuff) and Bagua Lan Men Dao (saber). Personally, I think there is also the Taiji Yu Huan Dao (saber),which we usually call it Yu Huan Dao for short.

Ying Shou Gwan (forgive my pinying) doesn't seem to have unique Mantis flavour. But it does fits very well with the body and footwork method of TJPM.

Bagua Lan Men Dao or Lan Men Dao for short, on the other hand, has a real TJPM flavour footwork and hand (mantis hook). I have seen 2 different flavours of this form - fast speed very mantis like and relatively slow speed Kind of Taiji like. I merely think of them as different accents. :) BTW, there is a believe out there that this form is not TJPM but Jing Wu Since in Jing Wu's compulsory 10 forms there is a form called Bagua Dao (I think), some people believe that this form was actually picked up from there. However, I have not seen the Jing Wu version. So I will go with TJPM's claim because the techniques in the form do give a Mantis flavour rather than a generic northern flavour.

Taiji YuHuan Dao is quite interesting although I don't like the twist and turn so many times (kinda confusing). It follows the TJPM logic quite well not to mention the name is obviously Mantis. But no one seems to know the origin nor the creator of this form. So it is one of those mystery forms that is with the TJPM system.

It would seem that GM Jiang HuaLong had a liking to saber and spear. May be Sifu Profatilov would confirm this.

BTW, GM Chiu Chuk Kai (Zhao Zhuhsi) liked sword and Whipchain alot. Saber seems to be number 3 behind the 2. We had pictures of him posing with these weapons on the wall of the HK Kwoon. I think they took those pictures in front of one of the Vietnam branches. Just a side note.

Mantis108