PDA

View Full Version : Ranges? what is your take?

gazza99
03-06-2002, 04:13 PM
Being a student of a few arts, I have heard some contradicting things, as a young teacher I have my own take but Ill get to that later.
1. How does your kwoon describe the different fighting ranges?

2.Do your techniques, or mindset vary depending on what range you are in?

3.Which range are you more comfortable in,

4. which range do you spend the least amount of time in?

5. " " " " " " " "most amount of time in?

Now Ill answer my own questions.
I believe that a fight happens in a phone booth, and if you have to worry to much about ranges you are not complete, and you are setting yourself up to fail. But being aware of them is good.

1. I describe the ranges as SNAFU (situation normal all F##### up), TARFU (Things are really F##### up), and FUBAR (you know this one), or Yellow, green, red, depending on the audience.
SNAFU is when we are not within range of striking each other with anything (unless you count throwing/shooting things) This is the stage when you can just walk away or try and reason out the situation.
TARfU is when we are in striking range but only with the feet, this allows for better reaction time (unless your fighting chuck norris!) Also my hand can touch the arm of the attacker if in a stance, but they cannot yet punch me without moving in.
FUBAR is up close and personal, this is when chokes, locks, throws, and nasty one-inch punches, and elbows come into play, of course grappling fits into this catagory as well, but that is a whole other thread.

2. My mindset at SNAFU is a reasoning one, very yin.
My mindset at TARFU is KILL , KILL , KILL, if they flinch or sneeze..KILL!!! Talking is over at this point They are now completly in my peripherial vision as soon as they enter this range as a threat I engage.

3. I am most comfortable in SNAFU of course as we all should be, but for fighting I am most comfortable in TARFU. If someone is trying to kick at me from a distance I am going to close it, and quick!

4. I spend the least amount of time on the ground, I have a little BJJ, but not enough yet. Next is kicking range, as whom ever trys to kick at me finds themselfs in TARFU or FUBAR really quickley!

5. TARFU and FUBAR, for the sake of reaction time, and survival, I spend the most time training in these ranges.

Merryprankster
03-06-2002, 04:21 PM
I personally prefer the CIWS and SATNAV range myself.

Although occassionally I find myself in the HF/DF or HVAC range.

BL/VE range is not too good, and I don't really like being in SECTRANS range at all.

Tigerstyle
03-06-2002, 04:34 PM
:confused:

MP,
That's probably a joke that went right over my head, so please explain.

Merryprankster
03-06-2002, 04:43 PM
They are random acronyms. None of them have any relevence. I was just poking fun at the use of FUBAR, SNAFU, TARFU.

Gary sounds like he lifted the acronyms from Richard Marcinko's books, so I thought I'd play along. The acronyms were around long before Marcinko's books, but all three were found together in those books, in rapid succession, with explanation.

Tigerstyle
03-06-2002, 04:48 PM
LOL! I was thinking it was military terminology. Those wacky military acronyms.

Braden
03-06-2002, 05:11 PM
I think they are military terms. Oh life imitating art imitating life imitating art imitating some college frat who got absolutely loaded one night and said something funny.

But you guys are both wrong. There's only two ranges: "lock and load, gentlemen" and "game over, man, GAME OVER!"

gazza99
03-06-2002, 05:54 PM
LOL@merrypranster, I am in the millitary by the way.. :)
Braden, I think Lock and Load work as well!!!

Now how about a serious answer? Anyone?

Sam Wiley
03-06-2002, 06:00 PM
Hi, Gare,

I only believe in one range, and that's the one where fighting takes place.

Email me, dude. taiji_boxer@hotmail.com:)

nospam
03-06-2002, 07:43 PM
1. How does your kwoon describe the different fighting ranges?

Too far.
Getting closer.
Clash.
Mixing it up.

2.Do your techniques, or mindset vary depending on what range you are in?

Too far - doesn't matter what you or your opponent is doing.

Getting closer - interesting to note stance, demeanor, listening to trash talk.

Clash - time to get real.

Mixing it up - may the best trained combatant win.

3.Which range are you more comfortable in,

Mixing It Up - this is what we all train for. All other ranges are just garbage and juxtaposition.

4. which range do you spend the least amount of time in?

Well, all ranges are experienced. In our training, all ranges have to be maneuvered through to end the fight as soon as possible.

5. " " " " " " " "most amount of time in?

I would say see #4, although we strive to stay in the Mix It Up range, as that's where the fun is.

nospam.
:cool:

3D Man
03-07-2002, 07:43 AM
If you do not understand ranges of fighting, you are going to get mauled on a regular basis.

My game is broken down to three ranges and eleven positions. I know my options for each range and each position. Fighting is a science not an art.

The ranges are too far to hit, could get hit or grabbed, and too close for strikes to be effective. Range applies to standing or ground games. My ranges are safe, striking, and grappling.

Saying range doesn't matter is like saying size doesn't matter. It sounds good, but is not born out by the facts. My experience says range matters, and understanding range will make you a better fighter.

Ray Pina
03-07-2002, 09:18 AM
Two ranges: Talking $hit range: "Your momma."

And fighting range: I can hit you.

I believe the secret is to hit what you can reach. Hit what is being presented and work from there.

I do like inclose fighting, body to body, but to get there safely is the trick. Or, at least minimize what you receive while putting yourself in prime killing realestate. Inside is tougher to get to, but once in, the guy is is big trouble. Outside is easier/safer, but expected.

Merryprankster
03-07-2002, 09:36 AM
I think the difficulty of getting inside is a little overstated. I find it pretty easy actually.

TaoBoy
03-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Five ranges in the Southern Mantis style I train:

Safe distance - can't be hit or kicked
Kicking distance- can kick/be kicked, can't be hit
1st circle - can hit/be hit [hand strikes]
2nd circle - can hit/be hit [elbow strikes]
3rd circle - grappling/pushing/pulling

Mind set is always the same - it's my a55 or yours.
Techniques change as distance dictates.

Most time spent training in 1st circle.

An understanding and working knowledge of distance is very important. For example: it's your a55 if you can only fight stand-up and someone takes you to ground.