PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing tips?

Stacey
03-06-2002, 08:05 PM
Im taking a job as a bouncer, anyone have exp. doing this?

Sharky
03-06-2002, 08:16 PM
No but would love to get into it. How do you get the job? What requirements do you have to have?

Also, will they not consider you if you aren't big? I am putting on weight but still to be considered "slim".

How do i get into it??

Cheers, sorry i couldn't help mate.

Qi dup
03-06-2002, 08:26 PM
I can give you some recomendations of some good books to read:

"Cheap Shots, Ambushes, and Other Lessons : A Down and Dirty Book on Streetfighting and Survival"
by Marc MacYoung; Paperback

"Anatomy of a Street Fight"
by Paul Vunak; Paperback

"Violence, Blunders, and Fractured Jaws : Advanced Awareness Techniques and Street Etiquette"
by Marc Mac Young; Paperback

"Knives, Knife Fighting, and Related Hassles : How to Survive a Real Knife Fight"
by Marc MacYoung; Paperback

"A Professional's Guide to Ending Violence Quickly : How Bouncers, Bodyguards, & Other Security Professionals Handle Ugly Situations"
by Marc A. MacYoung; Paperback

That should get you started, Marc MacYoung has some pretty good stuff to read. Deffinatly remindes you that it an ugly world out there. Get ready to deal with all sorts of stuff being a bouncer. Last guy I talked to had to quit after getting stabed and breaking his back. What kind of place is it that you'll be bouncing? Have you been there a lot?

LEGEND
03-06-2002, 08:37 PM
You can talk u're way out of anything...no 2...when u see a fight break out...don't come into till u get massive backup!

To be a bouncer u just need to know the owner or the promoter...

Sharky
03-06-2002, 08:44 PM
Oh, Geoff Thompson has some books you might want to read (some explicitly about bouncing etc) before you start :)

Qi dup
03-06-2002, 08:56 PM
Oh yeah, Geoff Thompson, I forgot about his stuff. good call Sharky.

Stacey
03-06-2002, 09:51 PM
I can handle myself. I'll be the sober one.

Requirements? A lifetime a martial arts or being huge and muscular. Either or both. Women do it. Its about maintaining balance and preventing outbreaks. However I am naturally a little cautious/scared.

I'm not a tough guy, hell, I'm half women. I don't back down, but I don't act tough and that freaks people out enough to back down....every time.

Nothing is scarier than someone who is perfectly calm and relaxed about combat. I think my approach might help people chill out. I don't know. Any former bouncers here?.

neito
03-06-2002, 10:12 PM
its easy to get a job as a bouncer, lots of places dont even require you to be huge. only really rowdy night clubs need that. lots of neighborhood pubs just need you to check i.d. on busy nights

respectmankind
03-07-2002, 12:28 AM
i can ask a friend who has experience, i also know a friend of my moms who is a woman that is one. i would imagine calmness would be very helpful. same with massive triceps. good ol arnold, the only thing you can't do is scratch your back, but then, that is why you have maria.

Satanachia
03-07-2002, 12:58 AM
I remember hearing from someone, can't remember who, that they and other bouncers they worked with often wore boxes and protection down there to work. It depends on how bad the place your working at is, but it sounds like a good idea to me anyway....

Former castleva
03-07-2002, 03:11 AM
http://www.stevenseagal.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000870.html

;)

David Jamieson
03-07-2002, 06:12 AM
I worked as a bouncer/doorman in a few establishments.
A lot of what you will read is malarky story telling with pinches of truth here and there.

You basically need to know the room.
Know where your partner(s) are located.
Keep an eye out for situations that can be diffused before they become anything.
Keep a head count so the liquor control board doesn't harrass your boss.
keep your back to the wall hahahaha.

seriously though, it's not a bad job. Everyone who hassles you is usually really really drunk and handleable.
It's the groups of 5 or 10 who wanna push past you and get in when the clubs full already that are a pain in the ass.

Incidences happen almost every night, but 99% of them are not even worth mentioning. not even for the entertainment value.

I've worked in seedy places and pretty sedate normal places. The seedy places definitely have more "action", but the sedate places have their share too.

It is a job that will make you very aware and hypersensitive to your surroundings
peace and good luck.

guohuen
03-07-2002, 07:46 AM
It takes years of arduent training to become a bouncer. Takes most people a year just to start to learn how to read. At least two years of simple arithmetic. Some technical training to operate the flashlight. Practice blocking the illes in the supermarket. Most importantly you will need huge amounts of self control in not pointing appendages at the patrons or drooling.

dwid
03-07-2002, 08:58 AM
Watch "Roadhouse" starring Patrick Swayze, it includes all information relevant to the fine art of bouncing.

I believe rule number one is "Be nice."

:D

Robbie
03-07-2002, 09:37 AM
get a pogo stick:D

MonkeySlap Too
03-07-2002, 10:44 AM
It's pretty unchallenging, but it can be fun.

Some things to add - make sure you know the rules of the bar or club, and workout solutions in advance with the other bouncers - working as a team it is a lot easier to get troublemakers removed without hurting them. Remember, it is your job to protect the patrons and the establishment at which you will work - not to hurt anybody.

Although at the place I once worked there was a rugby team that would come in just to fight with me. I had a blast.

kungfuyou
03-07-2002, 10:45 AM
I have to agree with Kung Lek on keeping your back to the wall!!!
I had a friend down in San Diego that was a bouncer at a club. They kicked a guy out who was drunk and being rowdy. He ended up coming back to the club and shooting!! My friend was shot in the back 5 times! This all happened June of '01.
Even though there are risks, I'm kind of looking to do this as well!! :)