PDA

View Full Version : Is Shaolin White Crane the same as White Crane?

rogue
02-09-2001, 08:13 AM
?

Self-Thinking Follower
02-09-2001, 09:21 AM
White Crane Boxing is a name given to a number of chinese fighting arts. These arts are often classified into northern and southern styles.

It was the northern variants which where made popular in the west, ironically, thanks to the southern chinese who immigrated here. They divide the lineages into names like; Lama Gung Fu, Bak Hok Kuen, Hop Ga Kuen etc.

Shaolin White Crane, is a name used by Dr. Yang, for his lineage of southern Fukien White Crane (Ancestral Crane).

Generally the northern style is traced to Tibet, while the southern style is traced to Fukien.

It's the southern Fukien style which has its connection to Okinawan Tode, Japanese Karate, and Korean Tangsoo, Kongsoo and finally Taekwon-Do.

Ben Gash
02-11-2001, 04:30 AM
If you want kung fu movie style crane then you want Shaolin 5 animals crane. Northern crane forms look like a strange mixture of % animals, CLF and Tong Bei.
Fukien White crane is a shorthand system more similar to Wing Chun or SPM.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

rogue
02-14-2001, 06:08 AM
Thanks guys. I saw that Dr Yang has a White Crane book out that could be usefull in my research of karate techniques. Just wanted to make sure it was the same White Crane.

MoQ
02-14-2001, 06:49 PM
I don't know what this stuff has to do with Karate... If there were Okinawans trained by Shil Lum monks or Fukien White Crane masters or whatever, they learned basics and what they could and then did it their own way and now the only significant relationship is the lipservice.

rogue
02-14-2001, 09:27 PM
And that's what I'm trying to find out, MoQ. I keep seeing references to White Crane for Okinawan styles and just want to see what it is.

Wah Ren Jie
02-14-2001, 10:42 PM
I have the book. He does make references to Karate in the book. Peace.

"I'll kick you square in the nuts!!!" -Eric Cartman

Paul Skrypichayko
02-15-2001, 09:38 AM
I've also heard about the relation of karate with southern shaolin (hung gar), and 5 ancestors style (ng jor kuen ), as well as shaolin crane (fukien bak hok kuen).

I don't know who exactly learned which techniques from which style, but the original name for karate was "karate-do", which originally meant "way of the Chinese hands". Kara was the Japanese word for the Tang dynasty of China, Te was the Japanese word for hand, and Do is the name for way or path. Sometime in the last century, a famous Japanese master changed the official name of karate to mean "way of the EMPTY hands" in order to help bolster Japanese pride and nationalism. The pronounciation in Japanese is the same, but different writing.

In Chinese, you would pronounce the old name "tang shou dao / tang sau do", and the new name would be "kong shou dao, kong sau do".

One thing that really shows ties between karate and 5 ancestor style is that they both train the "san chin" (three battles) form

MoQ
02-15-2001, 07:01 PM
Oh NO... isn't san chin alot like iron wire?
I think the "roots" thing peters out after awhile...
Especially in struggling to trace, it is found that in multi tranferrence things are DONE so differently that the real origin is completely bred out.