PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun/Western Boxing

Kong Jianshen
03-06-2002, 10:40 PM
Greeting all.

I was wondering how many of you have cross-trained in Wing Chun and Western Boxing and what has your conclusion been? How do you feel they compare to each other? Structurely, tacticly, in power and speed generation, maybe even similarity in technique.

I understand Bruce Lee was heavily influenced by both.

I heard Emin Boztepe trains his guys to deal with western boxing. Anyone ever train under him?

Whether you feel they dont work together, or whether you think they were made for each other, gimme your theory.

This might just break down to whether you study a traditonal W/C style, or a modified one.

I think W/C can add finger jabs, faster punches, low kicks, and open hand strikes to a boxer's aresnal..The footwork is what I feel are dramaticly different. The styles seem to be only related in a very basic sense to me.

Rooting when you punch in w/c, is there a relation between that and sitting down on your punches as in boxing?

As far as the front kick in w/c it reminds me of the push kick of muay thai? They might be down differently, but do they not serve a similiar purpose?

But maybe I am wrong? Enlighten me =) I have only rudimentary knowledge of Wing Chun, Jun Fan JKD, but have trained boxing more then anything. So bear with me here.

Any pro boxers known practioniers of w/c chun? It would not suprise me.

Thanks to all who participate.

iblis73
03-07-2002, 06:31 AM
In my opinion the best WT students I've seen come from a boxing background-they have speed power and endurance. Pound for pound I'd bet a boxer over wing chun-a matter of harder training, IN GENERAL. Emin teaches anti-boxing techiques that are quite good, but there is a real difference between having you partner feed you boxing type attacks and really working with a pro or even amateur fighter-a HUGE difference.

I have found large technical similarities between muay thai and WT branch. Especially the clinch (though its done somewhat differently), knee defenses and elbow strikes.

yuanfen
03-07-2002, 07:40 AM
I have several real sihings who are simply superb and they
dont have any boxing in their background. Of course any form of athleticism can be retooled. But generally- to learn wing chun
best to do wing chun. Wing chun is not a sport- boxing is- and a very good one. Each has its own sphere of excellence.
Traditional wing chun training regimen is very well rounded.

PS
BTW- all kinds of stories on the "history" of wing chun are out there -latest Hung Fa Yi- and more are bound to emerge. But an interesting and amusing article in one of the mag/rags years ago
had the thesis that some sailors taught some bare knuckle boxing-fighting in Canton when western ships first got there and wing chuns bai jong was on its way- can anyone disprove this theory?

iblis73
03-07-2002, 02:13 PM
Its interesting, given that the date of wc development is after westerners arrived in China. Also the close resemblence between wc and old style boxing on guard stance. Still, I doubt there is credible historic evidence that it came from the west.

There are some really good fighters who haven't done boxing, but pound for pound I'd take an average boxer over an average wc guy when journeying into rougher parts of the city.

I'd also like to address the anti-boxing issue. I often hear the "don't box a boxer or wrestle a wrestler" line but there is an inherent flaw in this-you won't know what your opponent knows until its too late. If we assume he is larger,faster and/or stronger by the time you go "aha he's a boxer..." it'll be lights out. Assuming you are in close quarters of course.

yuanfen
03-07-2002, 03:23 PM
iblis 73- you dont say aha-this is a boxer. With eniugh chi sao under your belt your auto reflex takes over and you defend a line or attack another,. At first a boxer can have an advantage
because of the contact experience but the situation is reversed
with the wing chun learning curve. Wing chun takes longer tp learn at first but the long run and the upward development of
skills in wing chun is really remarkable (and I dont underestimate boxers, wrestlers, fiddlers or guitarists- they could hit me with their instrunent rather than their music..