PDA

View Full Version : Content with your style

grifter721
03-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Who is content with their systems? Or should I say who is content with their sifus teachings?
I for one am content with my sifu's training methods and teachings. HOWEVER I will still listen to others and I do have an open mind. But as for teachers I have only and want only one.

But that goes for the fighting aspect of the Martial Arts. I wiill however do some type of internal art and I am currently looking to start some quigong.

So who here is content with their sifu's and their arts. Will you train in another art? External or internal? Or even Ground stuff?

Hua Lin Laoshi
03-07-2002, 08:17 AM
That's kind of a weird question because if your not content then why are you still there? But I guess considering some of the comments on this forum it's a valid question. Currently I'm content with my style and school for the simple fact that I haven't quite mastered all of the material given to me. I have quite a bit to work on and many areas that can be improved. I have other interests that may need to be addressed by an outside source but I believe that can be accomplished with the consent of my Sifu. Of course I'm probably a little extreme in how I look at things. To me you can either know a little about a lot of things or a lot about a few things. That's why I stay were I am, I can still go deeper into what I've learned. That's more important to me than learning five styles.

EARTH DRAGON
03-07-2002, 08:29 AM
Although I am content with my system, I did go outside of it to learn medical qigong. I dont think you should limit yourself to just one path. this doent mean to go down paths before you fully comprehend what you are in now.

I choose to learn how to heal people with qigong. The system I am in pays much more attention to the fighting aspect of the arts more so then the medical side. It does have its medical side but nothing compered to the qigong that I am learning from my present teacher Yen Chu Feng.

However I was in my external system for 12 years beofre I thought about learning something else so give it time and you will eventually see what part of your whole training needs something else..........

PaulLin
03-07-2002, 01:29 PM
Yi Ching (the book of changing) is a must read book if you want to learn Chikung. Chi is the force created form changing. To understand the behaviors of changing is the first step to chikung. The next step will be to experience the basic ying and young in your own body(how to do the basic breaking up matter into energy and condence energy back into matter in your own body).

Later on, by sense other people's chi, you can even tell what people's intention since chi don't lie. For example, move to the level of 4 signs(heaven, earth, fire, water), you can sense if some one have the young(breaking up) force toward you(aggrasive toward you), or toward themself(defensive torward you). In both case the person you met see you as an enemy. The other 2 are yin(condencing) force toward you(will benefit you) and toward themselves(will benefit form you). These 2 are considered your friends.

You can keep moving on to details to 8, 64, and beyound (I am not there yet, so can't tell more about them). But all must begin with the basic yin and young experiencing, without it, all Chikung will just be no more than talking.

yu shan
03-08-2002, 08:46 PM
PaulLin
Thank you for the quality you bring to KFO, and to the many others that do the same.
I have a question, is it wrong to change Mantis Styles? The previous system I spent 11 years, alot of hard work, total dedication, respect,money etc. The previous system got me to the foothills of the mountain, now I`m on the way to the mountain top. I must tell you, I departed with honor and nobility, to my Shrfu. I did it the right way.
My new teacher`s Shrfu has studied with over 30 Masters in China and Taiwan, why am I ridiculed for trying to better myself?
Thank you.

grifter721
03-08-2002, 09:37 PM
Hua
why is it a weird question. You can learn with someone and not be totally content with what you are learning. Ie. Your teachers teachings dont make you feel comfortable againsts a grappler say.
My sifu's teaching has taught us how to use our body in conjunture with fighting. I can hold my own in a grappling match. I may not win against someone with superior ground technique but someone with superior ground tech wont be superior standing up.
As to limiting myself to one path Ed I say too many cooks screw the pot. I say yes to internal training to augment my Mantis but even that is more to augment my long term health.
My mantis is really all I need for external training.
Paul Lin I will look for that book thank you/
YU SHAN
I think that if your teacher couldnt teach you anymore than you had no choice. If you are not content you have to do what you have to do. Your teacher should be proud to know that his student has excelled his teachings. Which actually will lead into my next post.

Tainan Mantis
03-08-2002, 11:05 PM
Yu Shan's grand teacher is Shr Zhengzhong.
One of his famous teachers, Li Hong Jie, encouraged him to go and meet masters of other styles such as 8 step and 6 Harmony.
He was most impressed with TJPM in HK and told GM Li about GM Zhao. GM Li made plans to go visit HK, but alas was to late and PM lost another treasure.

This is in the apparant spirit of Wang Lang himself who seems to have not been content with what he had learned and so went to study with other teachers.