PDA

View Full Version : Training for control

red5angel
03-07-2002, 08:18 AM
Any suggestions on how I can train for more control? Punching, kicking, etc......

ewallace
03-07-2002, 08:24 AM
I have/had a 50lb everlast bag hanging in the garage at my parents house. It had a star about 2-3 inches in diameter. I used to get the bag spinng and swinging and constantly aimed for the star. This acquired good accuracy, but I started with slow movements to begin with. After a while I didn't just try to match the bag's speed and throw a quick strike, I focused on the target and delivered a good solid strike to the star everytime no matter how fast or out of control the bag was.

shaolinboxer
03-07-2002, 08:39 AM
You can also try target grazing...meaning if you have a punching kicking target, only touch it enough to know you've made contact. If it's a heavy bag , it shouldn't swing at all. This will help you to know the true length of your strikes and will increase your level of control.

wu_de36
03-07-2002, 08:45 AM
Go up to a brick wall.

Throw techniques.

If you hurt your hand, you need to work on your control.

TaoBoy
03-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Practice with partners.

Get used to the distance required to strike/kick someone.
Do this slowly to begin with. Make sure you 'place' your strikes on your intended target. From this you will start to get an understanding of correct targeting. You will also improve you control as you are training with a person.

There's simply no use practicing with a partner if all your strikes finish 3 inches from the target.

Get in there!