PDA

View Full Version : Chin Nah - can anyone give me an over view?

Mantis_Hand
03-07-2002, 09:17 AM
There's a workshop this weekend at a local gym about Chin Nah that I'm considering having a look at. Is it a style? A technique? Does anyone here practice it? What's it's application and how can it be tied into my Wah Lum training?

Chris McKinley
03-07-2002, 09:38 AM
Chin Na is a part of nearly every Chinese martial art. It simply refers to those aspects of training which include primarily joint locking/control, but can also refer occasionally to certain takedowns/throws (those these are more accurately part of Shuai Jiao) as well as the techniques of sealing the breath and blood and Dian Xue/Dim-Mak (use of pressure points).

I would suggest you would enjoy the opportunity to learn this material, but keep in mind that, in a real fight, you will likely not be using these techniques exclusively, but in conjunction with striking skills. An important exception to that would be situations in which control of another person is necessary but striking is not appropriate, such as LEOs, juvenile corrections, etc.

Former castleva
03-07-2002, 10:47 AM
Chris´s right.
If we go to details,chin na is:
joint locking-dislocating,breaking,take-down,throw,muscle/tendon tearing,breaking/misplacing bone,sealing breath/vein,pressing or striking of pressure points-nerve&muscle manipulation,controlling

Chin na means "to seize and hold"
It is actually a lot/bit like grappling of other martial arts,japanese art of jujutsu is said to be based on it (and then there became aikido and karate from jujutsu) though it is cuite large and complicated system-and one important part of kung-fu.

TaoBoy
03-07-2002, 07:45 PM
FYI - You can get your hands on some good Chin Na books by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming. Check out www.ymaa.com (http://www.ymaa.com).

EARTH DRAGON
03-07-2002, 08:22 PM
I believe hong kong but I am not sure

Former castleva
03-08-2002, 01:17 AM
I prefer Ming´s books.
"Analysis of Shaolin chin na" is pretty good.