PDA

View Full Version : 15 minute muscle!!!!!

DelicateSound
03-07-2002, 01:27 PM
Sounds like another Rich Mooney video doesn't it :D

Well, I don't have it - and I want it!!!

What I mean is that I'm trying to build up my upper body, specifically chest, arms and shoulders. I work out pretty infrequently due to my da mn busy schedule, but every evening I have 15 minutes of TV watching I'd like to make use of.

Can anyone suggest a simple easy routine - just dumbells etc.

I'll even have tuna for breakfast dinner and tea if needs be :D

Much appreciated!

yenhoi
03-07-2002, 02:04 PM
Do bench presses, just one arm at a time. (Or if you have 2 dumbbells........ do both arms!)

Pushups. (Do a search on KFO for '100 Pushup Program' - Ironfist has the actual link handy im sure.) The 100 Pushup Program has 3 positions you use, you can just do pushups, lots of them, switching position, doing some on your knees, some on fingers or knuckles, if you get strong enough you can do handstand pushups against a wall, but that is probably more work for the lats then your chest.

Pull-ups.

Do some research into interval training and circuit training, that will help you figure out and plan a very effective 15min training plan.

Also check out Isometrics, most things you will find will talk about using a power rack, but there are isometrics you can do without the rack.

Word of warning, do not just focus on your chest for 15 minutes if thats all you have everyday. Make sure you also strengthen your abs, lats and lower back as well. My suggestion would be to come up with a 15minute interval plan that you do daily or every other day that consists of 15 different exercises/movements each for 1 minute with little rest, try not to work the same muscle on consecutive minutes.

DelicateSound
03-08-2002, 11:36 AM
Interval Training? Is that the same as Circuit Training? [Brit terminology]

i.e: 2mins pushups, 30secs rest etc.........

If so - I should still work to bulk right? Still using weights heavy enough to fatigue me in 8-10 reps right? But making it last for a set time - i.e. 30secs then a change?

I can't do pushups that well due to an old wrist injury [Judo! Before anyone says anything!!!]

I know of no back exercises at all - so that's pretty much buggered me.

NPMantis
03-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Whatever you do squat! Believe it or not you will not build up a big upper body simply by working on upper body alone. If you also throw squats into the routine you will not only increase leg strength but will increase levels of testosterone in your body due to the number of muscles you are exercising which will lead to good gains in all areas.

yenhoi
03-08-2002, 12:18 PM
Interval Training and Circuit training are actually different things, Im not so sure what the exact differences are, but you have the basic idea. I suggested 1 minute work periods with minimal rest, so not necessarily 30 sec, its up to you, and it doesnt need to be set in stone, just rest enough, but not too much - your the one training.

I usually associate circuit training with equipment, but I currently dont use a gym, nor do I have room for circuit equipment.

Post more later, busy. :D

DelicateSound
03-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Mmm. I shouldn't really have stated a 15 minute limit - I'm sure I can make time.

I just want a simple, quick routine that'll isolate the major upperbody muscles and bulk up quickly.

Cheers for the advice anyway Yenhoi! :D

I'd never heard of interval training, but I get the jist of it :)

yenhoi
03-08-2002, 02:08 PM
Time:

I like the 15-30 minute routines the best because if your smart about it, you can do the routine everyday, make progressive gains, and not be sore all the time, but you will not 'bulk' up quickly, you will gain strength, and get bigger, but size will come later doing it this way.

Also I should mention that I switch up my training all the time, so i might do this so called interval for several weeks, then change to something entirely different - im not really interested in gaining size, unless it happens as a consequence witch is okay by me.

If you can make an hour's worth of time, then you can go with a more 'traditional' approach to gaining size. Bench and squat and stretch. If all you have is dumbells, you might have a hard time doing weighted squats, do bodyweight squats or even hindu squats (different technique).

Pushups and pullups will help with size, go to elitefitnesssystems.com (i think) - they have an excellent links section and articles section, do your research on sets and reps and size gains.

The main thing is going to be figureing out what you CAN do, as in what movements/exercises/equipment you have to utilize, then making yourself a training plan/routine, and stick to it, take measurements, and make adjustments if necessary.

I have what I call 2 "outside" routines, and 2 "inside" routines. The outside ones are for working out - out doors, basically without any equipment, the inside ones are for indoors, with equipment. For outside and inside, 1 routine is a 'interval' routine for 20 minutes, the second is a 'rep' routine, where I do the same number of reps for each movement, with no rest, never working the same muscle consequtively.

Maybe Im getting long and complicated now, specially considering that you are looking to bulk, im just looking for functional strength.

DelicateSound
03-09-2002, 04:44 AM
Hmmm. I guess I hadn't considered the bulk/strength argument. For some reason I always think they go hand-in-hand.

I guess I'll stretch to a 30-minute per-day routine and try and work it from there. I really just want something I can get into the routine of doing everyday, which won't take up all my time.

I like the idea of the Inside/Outside thing BTW.

Cheers for the advice. :)

Merryprankster
03-09-2002, 11:51 AM
If you are seriously pressed for time:

Squats
Clean and Press

Done together, twice a week, you'll see some very real results.

These are mindbendingly hard exercises bud.

DelicateSound
03-10-2002, 10:11 AM
MPS and NPMantis: How can I squat with dumbells? And are squats that good for your back? I've heard things........

And MPS: "Clean and Press"?!?! Sounds like a method of doing laundry?! :D I really have no idea.

Although "good results" and "mindbendingly hard" made me smile - so explain plese MPS!! :)

Merryprankster
03-10-2002, 11:36 AM
squats are fine as long as your back is fine. Mine isn't any more, so I don't squat much any more. It was NOT however because of squats. I've had a bad back for years, and when I didn't do a deadlift properly, that was the final straw. :)

I wouldn't wear a belt for squats unless you are going very heavy--around 85-90% of your workout weight. The last time I was active with squats, I wouldn't use a belt until about the 360 lbs range. You are trying to train all those stabilizers too, you know.

To squat with dumbells, you can hang them at your sides. Easy. Dumbells also allow you to do weighted one legged squats.

The clean and press it exactly what it sounds like. You clean the weight and then press it overhead. When you've advanced somewhat, you can get to the clean and jerk, but that's another issue....

Here's a video for the clean and jerk. The clean is the first part of the movement, where the weight comes to the chest. From this position, you would press it overhead, instead of jerking it, as thise guy does

http://www.motorcitybarbell.com/videos/Santavey.rm

By mindbendingly hard, I'm saying that if you've done the workout properly, both of these exercises make you feel as though you've just sparred for a couple of 3 minute rounds. Pretty impressive for just weights. After heavy squatting, I usually had to sit on a bench for a couple of minutes before I could get up to go do something useful. Not that my legs would fall out from under me, but they were tired.

With the squat, make sure you have somebody check to make sure your thighs are parallel to the ground before you come back up. Until you groove this movement, you will always have the natural tendency to short-change the squat. You don't need to touch your heels or anything, you just want to make sure that you are able to come up out of the hole--otherwise, your squat isn't strengthening the hamstrings and adductors (or is it abductors) as much as it should be.

Here's a cheap and evil alternative--get a couple of heavy duty military type canvas type sea-bags and some plastic trash bags. Now go find or buy some sand. Line the canvas with a few of the trash bags. Put about around 75lbs of sand in one and around 125lbs in another. Close them up, and duct tape them well. Now you have heavy unweildy objects that you can lift and throw and carry and all sorts of other unpleasant things.

Merryprankster
03-10-2002, 11:44 AM
One other thing--note that the guy is densely, athletically muscled. These guys are freaky strong, not giant bodybuilder show muscles. There is a difference. I've met small guys that were strong as hell and most of them have done powerlifting or Olympic style weightlifting--not isolation movements. By contrast, I've rolled with some bodybuilder types that weren't as strong as looks would say...

DelicateSound
03-10-2002, 12:14 PM
Grrrr. Da mn Windows Media Player and it's rejection of every non-MPEG file format :(

OK MPS: I'm presuming that a clean and press is a curl followed by a military press. i.e: From a standing position, weights by your side, you curl up then press to the ceiling?

As for squats with the dumbells at my side - how logical! Why didn't I think of that [coughs at self in disgust] :D

As for the canvas bag thing - I might just do that. Like a softer weight plate! :)

Merryprankster
03-10-2002, 12:17 PM
No.

When you clean a weight, it comes from the floor to your chest. You then press the weight overhead. The grip is the OPPOSITE of a normal curl grip. It's palms down on the bar.

The sandbags will make you strong fast. Also you can try lifting it by GRABBING the canvas, not just lifting them with your arms. Hard on the forearms, but worth it.

You can do the same with the sandbags... but it's not easy! :)

DelicateSound
03-10-2002, 12:27 PM
Ah! So from a squating position with the weight on the floor you curl it to the chest, then squat up to standing, then press overhead!?

Isn't that an Olympic sport!?!? :) Those big-ass guys who drop it on their toes?!

Lifting canvas bags.... sounds so Neandertholic. Like some Greek warrior or something! How big should they be, size wise?

Merryprankster
03-10-2002, 12:35 PM
You more shrug the weight into place and then drop under the weight...

You need to find somebody who knows how to clean to show you. This is something that will hurt you if you do it wrong.

As far as the canvas bags go, I like them to not be packed tight. That way, the sand shifts around and makes it harder. As far as size, I used a couple of standard US military seabags. They are about 12" x 12" x 30" or so.

Something like them should be available at a UK army navy surplus store.

DelicateSound
03-10-2002, 12:47 PM
Mmm. I'm not keen on the idea of permanent damage - so I'f I can't find it on the Men's Health website [always a good'un] i'll give it a miss.

Cheers anyway MPS - I'll be down to Famous Army Stores tomorrow for some sandbags. If I can't lift'em I can always build a fortified waterpistol* nest over my garage.

*UK gunlaws restrict me from anything tougher that a garden hose.

Merryprankster
03-10-2002, 12:54 PM
Substitute deadlifts and military presses for the clean and press, and you'll get similar results.

DelicateSound
03-10-2002, 01:22 PM
It's OK! I found it on Men's Health.

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/fitness/best/cleanandjerk.html

A d a m n good website!

Cheers MPS!

BTW: Does Military Press only work the shoulders? Or the triceps too?

Merryprankster
03-10-2002, 01:31 PM
It works the entire shoulder girdle--pretty much everything from the nipples up, excluding the neck. You'll feel a military press most in your shoulders, triceps and trapezius... at least, I always have.

I'd use a barbell first before you started playing with dumbells. Easier to manuever and you can handle more poundage.

DelicateSound
03-10-2002, 01:48 PM
Mmm. Means I have to buy a bar.... and heavier weighs. Though I do need them. For some reason I am very strong but with little muscle. I don't know why either.

Ah well - more cash to fork out. If it means I bulk up - so be it.

Merryprankster
03-10-2002, 02:00 PM
clean and press with the bags. You'll be fine. It won't be pretty, but it'll work. Really. Look to get the weight up there any way you can. That's the name of the game with the bags!

DelicateSound
03-10-2002, 02:18 PM
Could I military press with bags? Maybe I could get my Mom to sew handles onto them............... :D

Merryprankster
03-10-2002, 02:23 PM
Yup. You can military press with the bags. No need for handles.

You'll have to lean back more than usualy though, because they aren't skinny.

But that's ok... how many times in your life are you going to want to press a perfectly balanced, narrow weight over your head? :)

DelicateSound
03-10-2002, 02:33 PM
All my life I've been training to PowerSlam a skinny tightrop-walker. Didn't I tell you?

Cheers for the advice MPS! When we get to fight over Wushu CHick I'll be 6'2 and 400 pounds lean!!!

Merryprankster
03-10-2002, 02:36 PM
At that weight I would congratulate you merely on being able to wipe your own arse...

Oh... and you need to eat more. Crazy, I swear, but true. You can't lift, keep doing MA, and not eat more... you'll get stronger but mass will be nowhere in sight. As far as gaining fat goes, just strike a balance--listen to your body, daniel-san.

DelicateSound
03-10-2002, 03:15 PM
I eat like horse anyway! I have actually seen some improvements since Monday, but I've been training hard every day so I bloody well hope so.

I knew a guy who was 17 stone solid muscle. What's that in pounds. He was HUGE. Only on the top half though. Looked like a triangle upside down.