PDA

View Full Version : Bak Mei / Lung Ying for Children?

Kevin Barkman
05-04-2001, 06:18 PM
This might be a really dumb question, but, I'm wondering if any BM or LY people here teach children BM or LY? Are the concepts too subtle / advanced without a foundation in Siu Lum?

And, maybe more to the point, what about ethical concerns (e.g. Jek Bo for kids)? I am struggling with this concept - any observations?

Thanks in advance - kevin

meltdawn
05-04-2001, 07:02 PM
My master's kids are learning, both under age ten. But these are kids who have grown up around it and have it in their blood. While they may not truly comprehend life and death yet, respect for and awareness of the body's power is there. When the 8 year old asks me how a chin na move works and I show him, I am confident he will not go to school and try it on the class bully (maybe just on his brother).

I think teaching someone else's kids these arts in particular may have strong consequences. You can't know what morals they are taught in the home, so you don't know if they truly understand the physical ramifications of their actions and will try them out on peers. I'd recommend a TKD school with a healthy atmosphere.

If you are thinking about incorporating kid's classes into your own curriculum, I'm sure it can be done with a little thought and ingenuity. You can instill dragon principals in young minds. The physical aspect could focus on anti-abduction techniques and the like.

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

fiercest tiger
05-05-2001, 12:58 AM
i heard it could damage the back of children especially if the sifu doesnt pay attention to the way the child is doing tiger back, and TTFC done wrong can give you internal damage.

nice topic kevin!

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

triskellin
05-05-2001, 01:11 PM
Our youngest kid is 9 yrs old. Sifu sorta had a rule where no one under 10 was allowed to join, but he made an exception with this kid since he joined with other family members, and he *really* wanted to learn! He goes through the same things as everyone else, kids pick up things very very easily, if not better than older children! Hell, we even show him more stuff because he is eager and trains harder than some people! Obviously we don't go into anything too deep that he may not understand, but we concentrate on the first 3 forms for new members anyway.

Kevin Barkman
05-06-2001, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the replies! In Hong Kong, many traditional different styles and schools come together under the banner of the HK Wushu Association to teach children the fundamentals of (N) Siu Lum, Wushu, and basic, healthy kung fu movement. On rare occaisions, you might see a teachers children or younger teens do a Bak Mei or LY set.

But surely there must be one or two LY or BM (or YKM / S. Mantis, etc.) schools who have a kids class? Anyone?

Cheers - kevin

fiercest tiger
05-06-2001, 04:39 AM
i have kids in my class starting at 8 and going on to the teens. there is nothing wrong with teaching the sets and principles but like i said make sure the teacher knows the breathing and postures properly.

for fighting mindset i teach them to fight, depending on child. i tell them not to fight but if need to fight until he is hurt so he/she cannot get up or fight back. i teach awareness and different scenarios to be street wise.

eg: we do bottle attacks, knives, clubs, axes it depends on what you like your children to be like. a good teacher can tell them to fight when needed without the school bully attitude.

all in all i have some good kid demonstrators that do good double sword, spear lion dancing they like too. they learn quicker and are more flexible so you can mould them well. i wouldnt get my kids doing wushu, but if they wanted too they could.

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Kevin Barkman
05-07-2001, 06:05 AM
Thanks "Mang Foo",

I am glad to know at least one short-hand school of kung fu has a kids class. I guess I will be the pioneer of this concept in Canada!

I think though that I will combine Sup Luk Dong with Bo Bo Toy, and leave out the BM (with exception of Shek Si and Dan Ging). No Jek Bo, Gow Bo Toy, or SBMK for kids!

Cheers - kevin

fiercest tiger
05-07-2001, 07:23 AM
i cant wait to see when my younger guys can do day sut kuen, with all the ground jumping moves and the more flexible type of stances.

the only thing kevin is keeping there mind active without losing there interest. games such as reflex drill and stance drills(chasing each other etc) is all fun.

i seen a young kid do sek see kuen at a kung fu tourney here and he was great to watch! he won 1st place:) it can be done, sup batt mor, gau bo tou i wouldnt teach either. even to normal adults until they have deserved it of course!

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

mantis108
05-08-2001, 09:12 PM
Go for it!

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

WinnipegDragon
05-09-2001, 08:51 PM
How is your school coming along Kevin? I know we haven't really spoken, but it's nice to know some other people in the KF scene in WInnipeg :)

I said to her, "For you who are so old but forever young I have many questions."

She said to me, "And I have but one answer - you must be a silhouette of the dragon against the moon."