PDA

View Full Version : feeling sad....

Wongsifu
03-08-2002, 04:56 AM
This is a super off topic post but anyhows im feeling really down because my cat was run over by a car and i had to go and pick it up off the road an check it was my cat.
Ive never actually felt sad like this before its weird ive had loads of relatives die on me ... too many to count people i grew up with uncles aunts , friends of the family, from cancer leukimia etc etc.
but i never gave a ****.
Im really sad especially when i think of itstiny limp body , and the fact it would always come and stand with me when i would practise, it could sense it. So last nite after i picked up the body i couldnt accept it had died so i went outside and i practised for ages but it never came .

I am actually bawling my eyes out as im writing this and i havent cried about someone dying let alone an animal since i was 8 and my grandma died.

i didnt know who to tell so i wanted to tell you guys.
plz dont delete this post

dezhen2001
03-08-2002, 05:33 AM
i'm sorry to hear that :(

hey, did you check out the thread on 'immortals' in the Taijiquan section? Maybe something in there can help :)

david

Ray Pina
03-08-2002, 06:09 AM
Sorry to hear that. I have a cat too. Look at it this way, at least your cat lived free. Dogs have to be let out and then on a leash -- maybe play in the confines of a back yard.

Cats, as you know, are different, there time with you is by their choice, not out of some desire to "please" there master.

It ws this freedom that let to this tragedy, but better free for a few years then confined for life.

Sorry.

jon
03-08-2002, 06:12 AM
Im really sorry to hear about your loss.
There is something i can offer you though.

When my last cat died (hit by car as well) i was pretty upset as well, he had been with us since i was a small child and i couldnt come to grips with the idea of him not being around.
Then someone said something very important to me...
My cat lived a GREAT life, it had a family that loved him and cared for him. He was always enjoying himself and seemed to really enjoy life.
The greatest sadness is when something is taken without every having the chance to give or feel love. Your cat was obviously well loved and cared for and it sounds like it gave the same in return. Be thankfull for all the great times it gave you and all the special moments you will never forget.

I think its good that you expressed yourself about it, its always much more painfull to keep such things bottled up.

Im sorry for your loss but im sure your cat is thankfull for its full and happy life.

NafAnal
03-08-2002, 07:07 AM
aw no, i remember you saying it would go nuts while you were doing chi gung (at least i think it was you)

sorry man

old jong
03-08-2002, 07:12 AM
You have lost a good friend and it's hard. You should consider that he had a good life with you and that his time was up. I'm sure that he would not mind if you should give some other poor little fellow like him a chance to have equal a good life!...

guohuen
03-08-2002, 07:25 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Something special about cats. Maybe there relatives along with bears. For me "waiting to get over the loss before getting another cat" has just been self torture and deprevation.

kungfu cowboy
03-08-2002, 08:01 AM
That really sucks bad. :( I am sorry for your loss.

Former castleva
03-08-2002, 08:23 AM
:(
Sorry to hear about your loss.
I´ve experienced the same thing many times.
It´s been almost a week since my last pet died.
I´ve been keeping rodents for many years,I´m also familiar with dogs and could say,cats.
Please keep going on.
Here´s a good forum on all possible animals that I consider pets.
http://www.petwebsite.com/forum/
You might want to register,there are lots of people like you and me who might be able to chat about it if you feel alone (or something to that direction)
Just don´t try to push it away from your mind,have a talk about it with your friends,relatives and such people,think about all those happy memories you have gathered with the time you´ve spent with your pet.
Respectfully,FC.
:)

bamboo_ leaf
03-08-2002, 08:38 AM
Cats are kind of like that, they come into our lives and leave sometimes not in the best way.

Sorry to hear, happened also to a cat we had. :(

xiong
03-08-2002, 09:09 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that your Cat died. Just reading your post made me long for my Cat that died two years ago. We fear for our cats safety so we only let them out under supervision in the backyard where we can control things a little better.

It's funny how cats can really get at your heart, they can be frustrating but when they bond with you it is a special feeling. My advice is, try to remember all the good and special things about your cat. After awhile it won't be so sad. Then start looking for a new cat to adopt. Your local no kill shelter is a great place to look and they could use your help in adopting one of their animals.

When you find the right Cat you will know. We took several months before getting another, and he was a handful for the first year, but Yeti has turned out to be a very sweet cat.

I hope this helps, losing a pet sometimes hits harder than the loss of our relatives, maybe it's because we bottle up our emotions for people that we allow ourselves to truly grieve for our pets.

Cody
03-08-2002, 09:41 AM
I still miss my dog. She was put to sleep, so it was a double whammy.

It never much mattered to me whether a person was a blood relation or not. I love and or miss them cause of the interaction and nothing else, but that's me.

I can picture how you feel more clearly cause I recently saw a program in the Animal Planet TV series, The Crocodile Hunter. Do you watch this? It's the product of Steve Irwin, who absolutely loves wildlife, and works hard to preserve crocs in a preserve, open to the public, in Australia. Anyhow, his dog was killed in an unfortunate incident, which he witnessed. One of the programs focusses on his grief over this. He had (has) a special love for this dog, his best friend, and he also loves just about every other living creature.

While nothing can replace this sweet cat you lost, there are others in shelters who face an unkind end. If you can do this, it would be good for you I think to save a little furry life, not as a substitute, but as a continuation of giving and receiving.

take care,
Cody

No_Know
03-08-2002, 09:45 AM
There is an unspoken connection between a pet and a person. Just like a familiar, it's a loss of a bit of one's self. Crying is a relief, release and realization.~ Recall what it did for you and be aware that that is now yours forever. The cat will always be there when you need it. Like principle enacted by good technique found in Form, the Essence is there.

I No_Know. Some-such, perhaps. Some might say.

tsunami surfer
03-08-2002, 11:07 AM
Sorry for your loss. Our pets bring us a special love that humans cannot. They depend on us for everything and love us back with no stings attached. Consider getting another pet soon. My wife had a cat for 20 years till we had to put her down due to old age. We bawled for days. Then a couple of months later a lady had 2 kittens she couldnt keep anymore so my wife took them. They now fill the void left by the previous cat and we enjoy them very much. Good Luck!!!

prana
03-08-2002, 06:40 PM
Wongsifu

My prayers to you and your friend, my teachers.

OM NAMO AMITABHAYA

OM AMI DEWA HRIH

Ryu
03-08-2002, 07:22 PM
damm it... :( I'm sorry, Wongsifu.... That kind of thing hurts me really bad as well. I have two cats...and one of them I've had for neary 13 years...he's getting older and I'm wondering what I'm going to feel when...you know. What I'm trying to do is give him the best life possible here with me. My pets and I are very close. They even sleep on my bed with me at night :D LOL.

All these guys have given you great advice and condolences.
There's absolutely nothing weird with feeling sad about this. Like was said before, there's a special connection between pets and people. From what it sounds like, your cat was extremely happy and comfortable to have spent its life with you. I know it doesn't help much, but animals really do appreciate kindness and love. And I'm sure your cat felt very loved and cherished.
Something similar happened to my sis and I... there was a cat that would come around our house at night. It was a stray, and was very timid and afraid. It used to come every night, and I would start leaving water and food out for it. Little by little it got less timid, and even let us start petting it, etc. So it really was able to feel relaxed and loved after a while.
......Well I was driving one day and saw that the poor thing had gotten killed by a car on the road that led to our house :(
So I know how you feel somewhat... LOL, before I make MYSELF cry here, I just want to say that with animals, love and kindess goes a long way. When they feel safe and secure, it is possibly the best gift you can give. The cat that came to our house...well it felt that I'm sure. If reincarnation is real...perhaps it will have a chance to move up.

Ryu

rubthebuddha
03-08-2002, 09:07 PM
here's a little tale that might cheer you up a little:

the difference between cats and dogs ...

dogs look at humans and think, "wow. here's a creature, benevolent and wise. they are smart, yet they house me, feed me, give me a bed, show me love and care for me with all their heart. they must be a god."

cats look at humans and think, "gosh. here's a creature, kind and intelligent. they give me food, warm milk to lick up, a lap to sleep on and scritches behind my ears. i must be a god."

:)

hope that helps.

-david

Ky-Fi
03-09-2002, 10:30 AM
Very sorry to hear about that, Wongsifu.

My cat is definitely my close buddy, and I'm going to feel the exact same way when his time is up. I guess the only way to look at it is that the pain of the loss is the price you have to pay for all the good memories---and you either have to conclude that it's worth it, or else you don't ever develop close relationships with anyone or any animal. Not much of a choice, really.

Do think about getting a new cat in time, though. You can never replace the old one, but you can have a different pal.

DelicateSound
03-09-2002, 10:52 AM
I had the same thing about 3 years ago. All cats are different characters - you'll never replace the one you lost - but you will have a new companion.

Whoever said that you need to earn a cats love was right, and that's why it hurts so much. Also it was dependant on you - so in a way the loss it paternal.

At the end of the day - I do believe that all living creatures go to heaven, so that is a small comfort. After all, everything dies sometime, as long as he lead a happy life that is the most important thing. You seem like a decent guy - and you obviously loved him - I bet he was happy. :)