PDA

View Full Version : Best body build for Wing Chun

sticky fingers
03-08-2002, 09:31 AM
A guy I used to train with who was 2 months my WC senior was tall (2metres) and lanky and I had the most difficult time chi sauing with him. I'm about 175cm. In poon sau, cos his arms were so long his fingers were already tapping my chest. And also because he was skinny and more flexible he was able to get his elbow more in the centerline than I could. But it wasn't just his build he trained hard and had excellent skills. Then I started training with a new guy who had the same build and taller but was much less skilled than the first guy. Still difficult in poonsau and I had to modify my arm positioning cos his arms were just too bloody long! He said that his sifu told him he had the best build for Wing chun. Does anyone else have trouble chi sauing with beanpoles?? How do you deal with these guys?

old jong
03-08-2002, 09:47 AM
I know what you feel!...It is just a question of taking the best distance for you. Long arms have a lot of trouble going around at very close range.You could control his triangle or arms structure so it is always going too much inside or too much outside and occupy the best attacking lines all the times. Just always think about the shortest and most direct in defense and offense. ;) There are no ideal builds for wing chun .It is not basketball! ;)