PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good strategy to continually hit your opponent's arm?

phantom
03-09-2002, 01:12 PM
I have heard that some boxers do this so that their opponents' will eventually have a hard time lifting that arm to throw a punch. Do you think that this is an effective strategy? Thanks in advance.

mestre
03-09-2002, 01:28 PM
Most street fights are over in under a minute or go down to the ground so i dont think there will be much time to attack the arm continuously

Merryprankster
03-09-2002, 01:29 PM
two points:

You have to have a big punch to do this effectively.

It's a ring fight strategy that applies only to long duration stand-up fights with no attacks other than strikes. 30 minutes of having your arms battered is really different from trying to win a street fight.

Ryu
03-09-2002, 04:15 PM
What MerryPrankster said.

Ryu

Stranger
03-09-2002, 04:30 PM
Yes, it is effective if you hit the right spots (inside of upper arm, inside of wrist, on the egg-shaped muscle near the elbow).

SevenStar
03-09-2002, 05:19 PM
kalistas, among other MAs, use this - they're called destructions - the theory behind it is that if you "take the bullets out of your opponents gun" then he'll be at an disadvantage. Not a godd idea to do this repeatedly though - In a real fight, you want to get it over and get out, not waste time making his limbs hurt.

For sport, it has several pluses. First, if that arm or leg is hurting, your opponent will not be able to use it as effectively. Second, it has a psychological effect. If you whack your opponent's limb every time he tries to strike, then he's gonna start thinking twice about throwing it out there.

Paul
03-09-2002, 06:00 PM
If you get the chance why not whack, chop, smash or otherwise beat the sh*t out of someone's arm? We train to do this, it's part of the reason for doing 3 star hits and other forearm conditioning drills.

ged
03-09-2002, 06:29 PM
if someone throws a roundhouse, we're taught to strike it - not just stick up your arm, but get a good base, wind up from the hips, **** the wrist back, and cut into his wrist... it hurts.

SevenStar
03-09-2002, 06:58 PM
yeah, no doubt it's effective. We work that also, but in a fight, my thing is this :

chances are, with the high adrenaline rush of the situaiton, plus the moving reacting opponent who wants to kill you, you won't be able to hit the arm or leg in the proper spot with adequate force - if you are able to hit it at all. That especially applies to newbies.

There are too many factors there. not to mention the opponents pain tolerance. your strike may or may not hurt his limb enough to make him asbtain from using it. If I use a destruction in a fight, it will only be knock off his timing - similar to a jam or stopkick, or because he throws a roundhoue kick - and elbow to the shin or instep cause great pain, and there's no real setup for it - just pull your elbows in.

PhoenixPangaryk
03-09-2002, 07:31 PM
If your in a 5 round match and have time to pick apart your opponent, then great, attack the arms. In a timed fight with rounds, the adrenaline is countered with tactics. You have 'time' to work your strategy.

If, however, your in a street fight with no time limit and adrenaline rules the game - don't worry about the arms. If the fight lasts more than 90 seconds I would be very surprised so arm attacks are down right silly and should be avoided. Instead, work on the vitals to end the fight immediately. Especially if your a stand up fighter. If the guy your fighting indicates he is a ground warrior and your not - don't waste time on the arms - your dead if he gets you in the dirt. Attack and end the fight ASAP while your on your feet and in your element.

Water Dragon
03-09-2002, 07:47 PM
Why not just continually hit the ribs? 'specially dem lil ones down at the bottom of the rib cage.

Justa Man
03-09-2002, 08:04 PM
cuz the arm is closer to you, therefore making your attack faster cuz it's a closer target. just a thought WD.

Stranger
03-09-2002, 08:10 PM
I didn't notice the word "continually" when I typed my first response.

I wouldn't attack the arms "continually", but if somebody offered me a good target on their arm, I'd take it.

SevenStar
03-09-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by PhoenixPangaryk
If your in a 5 round match and have time to pick apart your opponent, then great, attack the arms. In a timed fight with rounds, the adrenaline is countered with tactics. You have 'time' to work your strategy.

If, however, your in a street fight with no time limit and adrenaline rules the game - don't worry about the arms. If the fight lasts more than 90 seconds I would be very surprised so arm attacks are down right silly and should be avoided. Instead, work on the vitals to end the fight immediately. Especially if your a stand up fighter. If the guy your fighting indicates he is a ground warrior and your not - don't waste time on the arms - your dead if he gets you in the dirt. Attack and end the fight ASAP while your on your feet and in your element.

yeah, that's exactly what I was saying

Paul
03-09-2002, 09:16 PM
I'm not talking about trying to punch someone in the arm, I think that would be of limited value.

I realize that the chances of blocking a punch in a real fight are not all that great, but if I'm able to do it then BOOM, that is the limb destruction right there, no special go out of the way bs. That's one of the reasons that I'm conditioning my forearms, I don't know about y'all.

PhoenixPangaryk
03-10-2002, 01:17 AM
You make a good point. In Hung-Gar for example, the armour of the practitioner is made of thick leather and wrapped in studs and buckles. His waist is wrapped in thick studded leather which protects the kidneys, spleen and lower stomach intestine. The forearm wristbands are designed to be used as weapons defense. The studs wrip and tear and lock very well. Some practitioners also use studded thick leather bracelets over the shins for defensive weapons. Some Hung-Gar practitioners also wear the same uniform under daily attire, cloaking there presence. Long studded bands and belts are used for dances and forms demo while the short studded ones are for wearing everywhere, under all cloaking.

When encountered with a guy wearing this uniform, forearm attacks are useless, especially if he is conditioned for battle. His forearm power and attack are second to none and his mid section defense is strong. A seriously mean Hung-Gar fighter is absolutely furocious in battle. Remember those psycho Hung-Gar guys that would explode in the old Chinese kung-fu movies? Awesome stuff.

Anyway, thats pretty much why I began learning Hung-Gar - the classical style has everything you will or would ever need internally and externally. (But we still need to get ground work!)

Chow

rubthebuddha
03-10-2002, 11:51 AM
not sure i'd be all that keen on rolling on the ground with a bugger who has sharp studs all over his person.

nor would i be all that happy with doing chi sau with him. ;)

OdderMensch
03-10-2002, 05:43 PM
haveing personal body armor as part of your system is pretty cool. :D

ATENG
03-10-2002, 07:22 PM
dayamn...i'll second that...

rogue
03-10-2002, 09:30 PM
Is the question about in a self defense situation, in which the tactic is bad, or a sporting bout, in which the tactic is OK.

What kind of goal are you trying to acheive by doing it?

To the Hung Gar people, what kind of jobs do you all have that you could wear that kind of stuff. Clerk in a S&M equipment store?

Rolling Elbow
03-11-2002, 09:55 AM
Yes..

Defanging the snake.

If it has effect, why not use it..if it does not, don't waste your time..you'll be able to tell if it has effect or not based on how his body reacts. Besides, when you think of yourself as climbing up the body by first attacking the limbs, it all makes sense and overwhelms the nervous system of the guy you attack. (defend against)

Rolling Elbow
03-11-2002, 09:59 AM
p.s- Ged,

That is why you make their weapons come to you. A block is a strike when he runs on to you..no need or TIME to always wind up.

As for targeted striking..you don't have time to think about where to hit. You see a forearm or a point/opening anywhere near the bicep, shoulder etc.., you take it. If it works- good, if not, you should have continued to "climb the ladder" so to speak and attack another target.

JWTAYLOR
03-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Contintually pecking at an arm in a non sporting situation is pretty stupid.

That said, slamming a strike down on a shoulder or arm on the way it is often a good idea. It clears the arm so that you can continue in unguarded as well as gets them to immediately experience pain while you continue to attack. It quickly puts them on the defensive. But agian, I woul only suggest it as a "hard check" during an attack.

JWT

Chinwoo-er
03-11-2002, 10:30 AM
Ever heard of "hundred arm lohan" ? Well, thats the strategy it employs. My simo did it on me, and it hurts. I did it on another person softly, and it still hurts.

I think the trick is not let the arm recover from a single strike.

Black Jack
03-11-2002, 03:05 PM
I go with the majority,

To continue to bash/chop the limb after the first succesfull impact in a non-sporting fight is IMHO pretty ridiclous.

TaoBoy
03-11-2002, 10:57 PM
Shut the brain down and the arms are of no consequence.
If the arms are in the way, remove them.
If the arms strike toward you, punish them.

Continually strike at the arms? No.
There's not enough time.