PDA

View Full Version : Oyama's Book

Sho
03-09-2002, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know or would recommend any book written by the 10th dan karateka, Mas Oyama? It would be very interesting to read a complete book on his own perspective about martial arts.

MA fanatic
03-10-2002, 05:39 AM
He has a couple of books. One is called This Is Karate I believe. You can just go under www.bookfinder.com and purchase it used. No need on buying full price. You can also get those books at the library. I think it also goes on under the name of Oyama Karate. Just type in Mas Oyama as author on bookfinder.com or www.bibliofind.com or www.abebooks.com. You should get it used for a few bucks and have it be in mint condition. As for the content, his books are nothing special. Just covers all karate strikes, kicks, and breaking. Also has some basic sparring and self defens. But, you'll see nothing out of the ordinary. I don't think that Oyama even demonstrates all that much of his techniques in his books. Certainly not worth paying anything over 10 bucks.
MA fanatic

MA fanatic
03-10-2002, 05:41 AM
Almost forgot. He does have a none instructional book which is more of an autobiography. That was is worth buying. Definitely. It is a small book but fascinating. Also buy Funakoshi's book Karatedo My Way Of Life. Compare the two masters' philosophy on combat. It's fascinating.
MA fanatic

Sho
03-10-2002, 05:58 AM
An autobiography is just what I was looking for. Thanks very much for your help. Technique books aren't worth reading. :)

Former castleva
03-17-2002, 06:02 AM
I´ve read one.
Something like "Essentials of Karate" or related,Oyama has his fists crossed on the cover as if to protect his hara or something.
Had some fancy self-defense techniques in it-:)
For women-a lady throwing a thug with an umbrella in seioinage fashion (you may correct me if I remember wrong)
And the most strange defense against one handed shoulder/chest grab from front:Nage takes a step forward with his left foot (attacker grabbing his left side with his right) then attacker violently falls down as if he would have been hit by a bull or something.