PDA

View Full Version : An ideal body weight???

ZhouJiaQuan
03-10-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi, im wondering if anyone knows how to determine ideal body weight? Is there really such a thing? (my knowledge of this type stuff is somewhat lacking :) )

Thanks,
Wally

Kungfu boy
03-10-2002, 09:02 PM
I tend to wonder this too. I am 5'10 and 165lbs. I know someone that I train with who is 5'6 and weighs near 200lbs. And he is in better shape then me, but then again his body shape is different from mine. My "ideal weight" would probably be 175lbs as I would like to put on a little more muscle.

I think your ideal weight is where your happy with the way you look and can train to the best of your ability.

But thats just me.....

Brian the KF Boy

red_fists
03-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Hi Kung Fu Boy.

Don't worry too much about.
The ideal Body weight exists only on the statistic.

There are a lot more factors than Height & BMI that determine your correct Body weight.

My take on statistic is as follows:
"Statistics sez it is safer spending 3 rounds boxing with Mike Tyson than crossing the road."

"The ideal/average Family has 1.3 Kids." Ok,now who got the other 66% of my 2nd Child. :P

So don't worry too much unless you have a very drastic weight change in a very short time.

I am 5 8" and weigh 200 pounds, most people I meet can't belief my weight.

Seeya round.

ElPietro
03-12-2002, 08:36 AM
I've never seen a ideal bodyweight chart that isn't BS. There really isn't such a thing. There are different bone sizes, density, then there is bodyfat %, muscle mass, weight distribution, all this plays a factor.

Those charts are I think more for the non-training semi-sedentary type that will have average to below average muscle volume. I don't think I know anyone that lifts weights seriously to add some mass on that wouldn't register as obese for their height category. Muscle weighs more than fat so the stronger and bigger you get the heavier you get, regardless of the fact that you look leaner.

I have friends that are 3-5 inches taller than me and look pretty fat, but I weigh more than them because my muscle composition makes me heavier.

Let a mirror be your guide...

Merryprankster
03-12-2002, 09:15 AM
I am 6'0 and 184. I am consistently listed as being nearly overweight, with my ideal weight being 170-something. Yeah. Sure.

Here's the answer-- at what weight do feel good, move quickly and stay healthy (not getting sick all the time)?

ZhouJiaQuan
03-12-2002, 11:03 AM
Hi, thanks for the advice. Im actually 6'2 and about 160lbs. Yes im a lanky fella, haha. I want to get a bit bigger, really just add muscle some muscle. get a bit bigger arms and legs, etc...
thanks

greyseal
03-15-2002, 04:02 PM
Ideal Body Weight? Ha! Ha! Ha!. Too many variables in reality. Think about this: Mark McGuire looks like he's in decent shape, right? Well, according to his height vs. bodyweight, he would be considered obese by a medical doctor. Those stats are cor your typical american couch potato, in my mind, anyway. They don't take into account the athletes, bodybuilders, etc.

bearpaw
03-16-2002, 03:48 AM
Bear Paw is a nice 368 Lbs and 5'11" ... grad HS at 278 Lbs after four years of wrestling and marching band ... most people think I wieght in at under 250 ... Muhahahahaaaa

A quick thing my doc told me ... the "Ideal Body Wieght" reflects a medium frame person ... how do you check you frame type ... wrap your index finger and thumb around your wirst, if your fingers overlap then your a small frame type ( subject 10-20 Lbs off your "Ideal Body Wieght"), if your fingers touch then you have a medium frame type ( + or - 10 Lbs), if your finger don't touch then you are a large frame type ( add 10-30 Lbs) this is only for yout normal sitting on the couch for 5 hrs a day kind of people

... Bear Paw's finger are far far from touching

IronFist
03-16-2002, 10:58 PM
"Ideal Bodyweight Charts" are stupid. A bodybuilder who is 5'8", 220lbs, and 8% bodyfat will be WAY overweight according to the charts.

Just go by this: If you're not overweight, and you are comfortable with how you look/feel, then you are at your ideal bodyweight. Don't think that if a chart says you are overweight or underweight that you actually are. I think the charts are for sedentary individuals anyway, not athletes.

IronFist