PDA

View Full Version : Morning Training

Kungfu boy
03-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Hello All,

I have a question. I was wondering, how many of you train when you get up in the morning? Is it before or after breakfast? Do you do as a workout? I heard that if you run in the morning before breakfast that you burn more fat...is that true? I wonder if thats true about other exercises as well.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Brian the Kungfu Boy

Kungfu boy
03-10-2002, 08:55 PM
That should have been "What" do you do for a workout?

Prairie
03-10-2002, 11:51 PM
I used to train in the morning shortly after rising from bed. I would walk to the park and practice yilu a few times and whatever else I felt like that day. I think the winter dulldrums have hit me and I'm barely motivated to even rise from bed most days lately. Hopefully my routine will kick back into gear when the blessed sun warms our air again.

Oh, and it would have been mostly before breakfast - though I would eat an apple on my way to the park.

zuxingpogi
03-11-2002, 06:56 AM
I'm here to answer the burning fat in the morning question than my personal reigime. The reason you have been probably told that you burn fat easier in the morning is quite simple. When training Aerobically (non-maximally) your body burns energy to fuel the body. Firstly your body burns its Carbohydrates and uses that as an effective energy source until they deplete, so as a secondary and not as effective energy source it starts to burn fat, and in the rare case that you deplete majority of your body fat (VERY RARE) then it starts to burn muscle as its energy source. Generally you will realise when your body changes energy systems when you "hit the wall", which is basically the changeover of energy fueling, and since fat uses more oxygen, the only way for your oxygen supply to meet oxygen demand is for you to slow down. Therefore in the morning, before you have eaten breakfast it is more likely your body will changover to burning fat faster because the carbohydrates in your body at their lowest for the day, seeing as you havn't eaten yet.
Hope it helps
Peace
-Bernard
P.S. This will work for any Aerobic form of training, Maximal training uses a different energy source (ATP-PC & Lactic Acid Systems) and will not burn fat.

xiong
03-11-2002, 08:28 AM
I like to train before breakfast if I train right after waking up. This is because it sometimes makes me want to hurl, training on a full stomach that is.

I would say that eating a piece of fruit is a good idea, just so you have something in your stomach.

Ford Prefect
03-11-2002, 11:27 AM
I lift weights, do body weight stuff, and run in the mroning before breakfast. Why do you ask?

yenhoi
03-11-2002, 02:36 PM
Everyday, before any breakfast (sometimes a granola bar, if my stomach demands it.)

Everything I do in the morning is outside, without equipment, but I run, jump rope, do body weight exercises, etc. The park where I live now has a full compliment of those "World Fitness" Stations, so sometimes I do a circuit of those if im a little bored with my usual.

IronFist
03-11-2002, 08:29 PM
I can't stand working out in the morning. I do all of my lifting and stuff at night, around 9 or 10pm. I feel like I have the most energy at this time.

Also, I have the energy of all the meals I've eaten throughout the day at night, too. In the morning, I haven't eaten in like 6-8 hours so I feel empty and powerless. I'm not saying that I workout on a full stomach, but I need to have SOMETHING in me or my workouts feel like crap.

IronFist

ElPietro
03-12-2002, 08:29 AM
There are tradeoffs to working out in the morning. Sure it's the best time to workout if you wanna lose weight...but you will not only metabolise fat but also protein...so this will lead to some muscle catabolism. Also, if you are weight training you will not be able to lift as well due to low blood glucose levels...fat is a more oxidative fuel so it isn't very good when lifting heavy weight...so you will not have very much energy to work with. I've done it before but I find strength much better later in the day. I go after work now, and eat a simple carb snack 45 minutes to an hour before to try and keep glycogen levels sufficiently high pre-workout.

Ford Prefect
03-12-2002, 09:15 AM
I agree with Iron and EP. Even though I lift in the morning, I'm definately much stronger and even more flexable as the day goes on. I drink a chocalate milk before I workout, a meal shake after, and then eat breakfast about an hour or so after that to ward off any muscle catabolism.

Kungfu boy
03-13-2002, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm gonna start doing some minor cardio in the mornings. Probably a good jog or something.

Qi dup
03-14-2002, 05:03 PM
I'm with IronFist on this one, I also workout around 8-10 at night for the same reasons.

greyseal
03-15-2002, 03:59 PM
I have to disagree(I hope that's okay:D) with the anti-morning waorkout folks. I don't think it inhibits muscular growth at all. As long as you drink/eat some protein in the '3 hour window' after. I usually get up at 5:30 AM to workout. I have noticed that there are advantages to AM vs. PM workouts. IN the afternoon, evening, most people are stronger/at thier peak of, let's say, 'power' and able to lift more, but the mornign workout boosts your metabolism for a good part of the day. I guess it depends on what your immediate goal is. But, I've gained mass by working out in the morning and takng ni an adequate amount of protein. Then, maybe again, its the Heavy Duty training, and not doing 100 sets of each exercise per bodypart(Though we all know that more is better, right?):D ;)

wtjoe
03-16-2002, 11:47 AM
So as long as you eat protein afterwards, your muscles won't catabolise right?:(

wtjoe
03-17-2002, 04:39 AM
Is it good to do anaerobic activities in the morning as well?:confused:

ElPietro
03-18-2002, 08:05 AM
Do whatever is most convenient. If you are looking to add some muscle mass try to eat some carbs 45 minutes to an hour before hand. This will provide you with more energy, which will equate to better lifts, which will result in better muscle response. Try to take in some quick digesting protein ASAP afterwards, whey shakes are great and convenient for this. Then shortly afterwards, maybe an hour or so try to get a decent meal into you as well.

This advice is for anaerobic training wtjoe. Morning cardio on an empty stomach I'd assume would be for weight loss.