PDA

View Full Version : Keep a journal?

PHILBERT
03-11-2002, 12:03 AM
I was wondering if anyone keeps a journal and writes down information about what they are learning. I was considering on starting to write stuff down in one. That way you can look back and remember how you use to be.

Jeff Liboiron
03-11-2002, 12:15 AM
sometimes i write down what i want to focus on, or want to learn, or review the next day.

PHILBERT
03-11-2002, 12:53 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0811828638/qid=1015833126/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_5_1/002-7065590-7572052

I got that at the book store Friday, its a journal mostly, but has alot of cool art inside it. A pity really, a true beauty and I gotta write in it! Hehe, helps inspire to, when ya see the art.

wushu chik
03-11-2002, 02:09 AM
I have kept journals...and the best way I have EVER remembered my stuff....video taping myself doing it!!

~Wen~

Kristoffer
03-11-2002, 04:13 AM
I write downd details on tecniques, forms, strategy or quotes or stuff my sifu says. About training and stuff.. It's good to do that. I've been thinking of video taping myself too, but the lack of a camera has gotten in my way.

Leonidas
03-11-2002, 05:06 AM
Yea i was thinking about starting a journal dedicated to Martial Arts too. About all the stuff Kris' listed including principles and generally important things to remember, like staying relaxed, skill over strength, sh!t like that. Other than that i dont see a reason personally. I hate writing and my thoughts are already cluttered and disorganized, i dont need to see them on paper too.

Budokan
03-11-2002, 06:25 AM
As a writer I used to keep journals for about 15 years or so but stopped when I realized I no longer had the time to put into them they required. I sort of miss keeping up with a journal, but am also grateful for the extra time allowed me.

JWTAYLOR
03-11-2002, 09:32 AM
I'll second the video journal thing. I keep a journal about classes and especially seminars and camps, and it has been immensely successful. But I also video myself performing every basic, technique, and form every few months. I also video a sparring round or two. It's VERY helpfull to take a look at yourself from the viewpoint of the camera. It doesn't tell the whole story, but it also doesn't lie. It really lets you see what's working, and what's not working for you.

Also, use a journal to create an "inventory" of your techniques. How is your sidekick on your right? How about your left? Be honest and write it down. Then go through and really focus on the stuff that you thought wasn't so good.

JWT

Dronak
03-11-2002, 09:38 AM
Well, "journal" kind of implies something else to me, but yes, I do make notes on what I'm learning. It helps me remember everything and it provides a way to check on details I may forget. Our teacher likes to teach by "copy what I do" which works fine for some people, but not so well for me. I learn better given some verbal descriptions to accompany a demonstration. Leave it to me to watch and get *everything* and I'm bound to miss something or get something wrong. So normally within a few days of being taught something new, I try to write it down in a notebook so I have a record of it. Usually I practice it on my own a few times first and then when I have a little better idea of what it is I write it down. I find the notes to be rather helpful during the learning process (for one, writing it down forces me to think about it and explain the moves to myself) and sometimes afterwards to check on details.

mono68
03-11-2002, 10:59 AM
Yes, journals are great they also let you see how you have progressed, evolved into a better martial Artist depending on your style. Also for me how your Sifu also evolves possibly changes or modifies some techinque or concept. My two cents.

Drone
03-11-2002, 12:18 PM
I don't keep a journal, it's more of a shoping list of Do's and Don'ts. For the most part is stuff that my Sifu tells me I am doing wrong or puts emphasis on in class. I find that refering to it before I practice has helped me out a lot lately.

Kristoffer
03-11-2002, 02:17 PM
I'd think it would be cool to vid my sifu or the instructors doing a perfect tecnique.. U know.. So ya can 'study' it in detail whenever you like. + the cool demo fo it.

Sho
03-11-2002, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I keep a brief journal on my training. Very handy.

Mutant
03-11-2002, 02:37 PM
I used to keep detailed journals...I have several books filled with diagrams and descriptions of techniques, outlines of forms, etc. I used to think that I was cataloging all this great stuff that I would use or teach later. But I almost never look at them, probably don't know where they are right now, if I do its just like an old photo album of past times. Some of the stuff I wrote down was good, some of it was garbage.

I think the valuable part is that in writing it down after class, it gives you a chance to reflect on and retain what you worked on that day. And then you can compare it over time and see how your perception changes.

Sometimes I look in the journals to reference and remember the name of a form or weapon or something specific.

I havent written a journal in a long time. Maybe I will again sometime just for fun. Its the process that is rewarding, that helps your learning.

straightblast5
03-11-2002, 02:42 PM
I keep an online journal to document my thoughts and experiences as they relate to the martial arts and my life in general. It's an entertaining way for me to share my thoughts and opinions with my friends, whom are scattered all over the place. It's a fun thing to do, and it helps me reflect on my experiences.

BTW, I've also kept many physical journals (as opposed to electronic ones) that tend to focus more on technique and concepts rather than on my personal opinions.

Take Care,
Phil
Ng Family Chinese Martial Arts Association (http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com)