PDA

View Full Version : To those familiar with rap, part 2 :)

IronFist
03-11-2002, 01:32 PM
What does "hova" mean, as in like, "H to the izzO, V to the izz-A" ("H.O.V.A.")?

Part 2: What's up with all the "-iz" stuff? Starbizucks (hehe, from the someone Kennedy Project), "I'm on the izEl with no place to gizo," or that new song I just heard, "dizouble dizutch."

What the hell?

Thizanks dizudes,

IronFist

Skarbromantis
03-11-2002, 02:08 PM
Jahovah or Jehovah!!

Skard1

Kristoffer
03-11-2002, 02:12 PM
Hey wgere did rap thread 1 go?? stupid mods

Kristoffer
03-11-2002, 02:20 PM
hova iz his artist name IF

fmann
03-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Word. Jay-Z calls himself J-Hova because he feels that his flows are the best, there for he likens himself to God in terms of rap.

IMHO, even though his flows are smooth and he obviously has mad talent, he's a crazy sell-out now. He's just churning out albums and making $$$ without really putting his heart in to it.

Compare Stillmatic to the Blueprint and you can see the difference that time and dedication can make.

Chang Style Novice
03-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Kristoffer - The older thread is on the next page back. I'll give it a bump to help you find it.

diego
03-11-2002, 07:05 PM
AHH Accessories
Wireless News

E-mail Story

Print Story

Ghostface Killah: Part 1:
By Jigsaw

“Ghost, pardon me if I talk too much,” Tracy Morgan, the Saturday Night Live comic quips, “I hang with them boys all day. Its straight squares down there.” He goes on, “I can’t hang with them boys. If I say ‘****, that girl gota girls ass is fat, they look at me like I’m an animal.” Tracy talks more as Ghost and his manager Free listen. “But this nigga [pointing at Ghost], I ain’t gotta say ****, because, this nigga thinking the same thing as me – this ***** got a fat ass!” The upscale hotel room in midtown Manhattan erupts in laughter. See, Tracy is here for one reason, to chill out with one call ass cat named Ghostface Killah.

Ghost smiles and laughs, taking in the natural comics funnies. Ghost sits there chilling, letting Tracy talk. A bunch of colorful Clarke Wallabies pour out of an adjacent closet. In a corner next to the television, Ghost’s name brand clothes pile up in a heap. Ghost is chilling, but when he talks, he comes through. Nahmeen?

AllHipHop: Talk about the songs that were not allowed on the album.

Ghostface Killah: I wasn’t too pleased with that. It was that sample ****. Last minute ****. That’s where I felt ****ed up at. I paint my picture a certain way. That ****…you know how I be.

AHH: “The Watch” is crazy.

GFK: Yeah the same **** with “Flowers” and “The Sun,” (with Slick Rick.)

AHH: You aren’t like anything rap is seeing right now. What goes on when you paint your picture?

GFK: It’s my imagination. I’m a thinker so I think a lot. At that time, whatever comes to my mind, I try to paint a picture around it. It’s like making a movie.

AHH: Something like “The Watch” is crazy. Even though its not on the album, its something we still talk about. How did that concept [of having you and Raekwon act out Ghost having a conversation with his watch] come about?

GFK: I was high one night and after [I wrote] the first 2 lines, I said, “I’m going to write the ill watch joint.” Like the watch was talking to me and we just arguing and ****. It had to be mad ill though. It couldn’t just be on some kid ****. I had to get deep.

AHH: A lot cats sound similar in hip-hop. Do you ever have a conflict with you and what’s popular in music now?

GFK: Nah, just do what you do. I do it for me, then the people.

AHH: It seems like you have toned down your “slanguage.”

GFK: No, I’m a creative nigga. Those are just styles. I’m an emcee.

AHH: What about you and Rae doing Cuban Linx II?

GFK: We haven’t really decided, because [Wu] trying to get back in. When we did Rae’s Cuban Linx [Only Built 4 Cuban Linx], we did it grimey. Nothing but cocaine skits. If we did that we’d have to get grimed out. But for Ragu [Rae’s next album], we have to take it to the next level. You got to be givin’ these niggas radio songs and sometimes that be ****in’ up the game. Its whatever, whatever because I’ve showed niggas I know how to do it. For Cuban Linx II, we got to get ugly, because that’s what the people want.

AHH: How do you feel when people say, “Ghost got the Wu on his back?”

GFK: I don’t like it like that because I learned from these brothers. We all take the credit for each other. I don’t want my brothers hearing that and be all ****ed up.

AHH: A lot of artists either run out of things to say or start saying the same thing over and over ever album out. What about you?

GFK: Knowledge is infinite. I got **** to say for day, go to sleep and wake up and say something. Its like you can never finish talking.

AHH: Mad hip-hop cats talk murder, murder, kill, kill. You have a hardcore persona with out being fake and selling death.

GFK: First of all, we talked about that before. We’ve been down different avenues. That’s all you hearing (death raps). Ain’t nobody out here dying [from a rapper]. Niggas ain’t in jail. I like to go through different ****. I could talk about it snowing on Sunday and talk niggas there. They gotta talk about Cristal and big chains and murdering because that’s what they are stuck in right now. Ghostface likes to be different. I’m a versatile nigga.

>Click For Part 2<<Feedback.

GHOSTFACE KILLAH: Part 2

AHH: There was some talk about you having beef with Jay-Z being the King Of NY? Was that true?

GFK: I’m not putting myself in nothing. If the people place me there, then so be it. I’m going to keep running like I’m in second place.

AHH: Is the Jay-Z and the Roc beefin’ with the Wu?

GFK: Nah. I never heard of that. Who told you that?

AHH: Its just rumors. Some of the Wu lyrics. And Sigel called out Cappadonna.

GFK: None of us are sweating that like that. Whatever, whatever. We not caught up in that.

AHH: Are you the type of emcee that’s going to rhyme forever?

GFK: I’m going to do it forever. I’m going to do it until I wake up one morning and say, “That’s enough.” This is the beginning for me.

Tracey Morgan: This is the Wally era! Remember when BVD underwear was out? This is where you get a pack of yellow and all that with the ****. Pardon me for getting you off that subject.

GFK: Nah, its all good.

TM: Right now as far as hip-hop is concerned this is one of the only niggas I got. Niggas don’t die, they just fade away. Slick Rick did die. He got faded a little bit. But they still got love in out community.

AHH: [To Ghost] What up with the Theodore unit?

GFK: That’s my team right there. I had my team and Rae had [The American Cream Team] and we put them together with my niggas. We thinkers. That’s a new clique coming up under me and Rae belt.

AHH: Did Marvel Comics ever give you a hard time about using the names Tony Stark, Iron Man or Stark Enterprises?

GFK: No, we just did it.

AHH: I see the fly clothes all around here. Would you consider fashion as the 5th element of hip-hop?

GFK: Oh yeah! It’s an element. No doubt. Hip-hop is everything but its how we dress. Writing on the wall, like we used to do. How we speak.

AHH: We saw you at Russell’s book release with the ill robe on. When you come up with the concepts for your dress

GFK: Its just natural. It’s just how I see it. I don’t try to think to create something, it just comes.

AHH: I know Wu had a beef with Cappadonna’s manager and inadvertently him when he was found to be an informant for the FBI…is there beef with that?

GFK: Cap’s my man and he always going to be my man. I love Cap.

AHH: Has Wu ever had trouble staying together as a unit? We saw ya’ll at the awards but the rumors still floating around.

GFK: We come together and we build and we talk. We know that lack of communication creates bad understanding so we communicate with each other. That’s what keeps us tight. This is the foundation.

AHH: What is Miami to you, because I know you recorded Bulletproof Wallets there.

GFK: I love Florida. It opens me up and helps me free my mind. I write good music down there. I go down there to do my work on the chill tip.

AHH: What do you think of the state of hip-hop right now?

GFK: It’s kind of lost. I can’t tell niggas how to rhyme but let’s be a little more creative. Let’s make it so its fun all over again. We control what we say so maybe if we were to talk about other ****, we could make a change. We need to get off that “bussin’ ya gun” and the “jewelry” because that keeps the people in that state of mind.

AHH: Do you listen to hip-hop?

GFK: Not much. I like listening to slow music.

AHH: Why is that?

GFK: That’s where I really get my rhymes from. A lot of inspiration comes from there. I like the soul of [slow songs]. You can go ahead and cry in on a track.

AHH: I always wanted to know, based on the emotion of the tracks, what woman hurt Ghost? Are they directed to a person?

GFK: It’s a mix of things. But just think about what I want to say. It ain’t like I’m still mad at the mutha****a. I could feel like that [angry] but, not all the time. I’m just trying to put a story together an I know how **** be.
Feedback.

jun_erh
03-12-2002, 11:33 AM
J. Hova= jehovah.

"You're outta luck like two dogs stuck" -ghostface "4th chamber"

Did you know that's a reference to when a dog is mating with a ***** and his **** get's so swollen he can't get it out.

Justa Man
03-12-2002, 12:13 PM
jun_erh, actually i did. just cuz me and friends would throw rocks at stray dogs humping and sometimes they wouldn't seperate. we thought the male was too ***** to be dissuaded by rocks till old billy bones (an older cat who hung around the apartments) filled us in on the fact.
ghost has a newer song out that is absolutely fenominal. i'll provide the name soon as i get it.

ot: i'm goin to see cannibal ox, masterminds, wordsworth, c rays walz and a few others tonight at the knitting factory near canal street. jun, i think it was you who dissed ny underground. you should come through. 8:30....12$ and i'll even buy you a drink for showing up to see just how nice ny underground is. :)

Chang Style Novice
03-12-2002, 12:26 PM
Anybody know the name of the Ghostface track where he disses JayZ? I've read about it, but can't find it on AudioG without a title.

Diego, Justa, I've got some material picked out for you guys, but a lot of it is on vinyl, so I have to hook up my ol' turntable to the computer and do a touch of sound editing before I can put it together. That's the problem with these local dope cats sometimes. Plus I can't download what I'm looking for in all cases.

I do have two CDs of IAM de Marseille cuts that I'll throw into the mix for ya. It's french, it's not MC Solaar, and although I can't comprehend the flows, it sounds effin' DYOAP.

This in addition to my FUNK GONE WILD! mix CD of jazz, hiphop, real RnB and less identifiable stuff.

Gimme a week to figure out how to operate this digital camera a friend loaned me and I'll throw in a CDR of my drawings and paintings. Some are very martial arts oriented.

Anyone else who wants in on this once-inna-lifetime deal can email me at austin@swinburn.net. Plus you have to send me something good in return.

Justa Man
03-12-2002, 01:05 PM
csn - wassup brethro. in return for your blessings, i'm hitting you with some ish i've recorded with some friends (along with other rare jewls and gems). you seem to be computer knowledgeable, so if you know, and will divulge, how i can put my joints up on the web somewhere, i'd gladly give 1000 thanks.
take your time with that mix....make it nice. i think i'm buying that azeem banger next week, but feel free to drop some of his gems on the mix if you had already planned on doing such. just heard thunderground last night. i think i've heard azeem before.....on a grouch release or something.
you feelin blackalicious?

Chang Style Novice
03-12-2002, 01:20 PM
Been feeling Blackalicious since the days of "Swan Lake", actually. And they just keep getting doper and doper! I love all those Solesides/Quannum cats, in fact. That german funk band they signed, Poets of Rhythm is fantastic. Who knew Tuetonic types could be so superbad?

What format is your stuff in? I'm going to get my vinyl on the computer by using MS Cooledit (a demo version I downloaded for free.) I've never copied vinyl to hard drive before, but I don't think it will be too problematical. I have a Y shaped cable that's RCA stereo jacks on the two cables end and a stereo headphone type jack on the other. Right now I use it to run a discman through my stereo amp, but it should suffice to connect my turntable to the computer. Then I just need to convert the WAV to MP3, and running Adaptec CD Creator should handle the rest. After that, it's just a matter of uploading them to a website, if that's what you wanna do.

Honestly, I think the most difficult thing is going to be adjusting my drawing table (which sits next to the PC) from a slant appropriate for art to a level surface suitable for a turntable.

Justa Man
03-12-2002, 02:10 PM
never heard poets of rhythm before. d*mn, i should dig up on them, being half german.
all my material is on cd. and i don't know a from apple about computers really, so yea, if you could help me upload them joints onto the net, then i'd be grateful. that way all yall kung fu hip hop heads can hear what revolves in the minds of me and mine. ain't as tight as sharky, but then again, i hit it from a different angle.

Chang Style Novice
03-12-2002, 02:17 PM
Hmmm...I think you should just be able to use whatever program you use to burn CDs to put the tracks on your hard drive in MP3 format, then just treat it like any other file you want to upload onto the internet. It's mostly click and drag type stuff. I'm no expert myself, to be sure.

ewallace
03-12-2002, 02:28 PM
Audiograbber is good.

Abstract
03-12-2002, 03:11 PM
yo man when did u post bout going to see Cannibal Ox & Words, etc? was that today, the 12th? or did i miss it? **** man i always forget to check the Knitting Factory....:mad:

Yung Apprentice
03-12-2002, 03:34 PM
Naz ate Jigga up. Blueprint was garbage, and Stillmatic is a classic.

IronFist
03-12-2002, 05:54 PM
thizanks, bro. I always wondered what the fizuck HOVA meant. Jay-Z annoys the crizap out of me. Of all the popular artists right now, he's one of my least favorite.

IronFizist

Sharky
03-12-2002, 06:15 PM
Help me choose some songs to workout to. I like to workout to hip hop, and just er, aquired a MD player and need a list of songs to get/dload to take with me to the gym... ones that make you want to kick ass - if i am on the punchbag or lifiting or whatever.

Any ideas? So far i've jus got loads of mobb deep and some big pun. I don't necessarily mean ones with amazing lyrical content ;)

Cheers

yuanfen
03-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Wayne Marsalis the great trumpeteer recently is said to have labelled rap music as a minstrel show.

Sharky
03-12-2002, 07:04 PM
'kay.

Chang Style Novice
03-12-2002, 07:08 PM
You mean Wynton Marsalis, and he's great like a bunion on your big toe is an orgasm. The guy is nothing but a retrograde schmuck living in the past. He wishes the last thirty years of change in jazz had never happened. He'll be forgotten by history. At best he'll be remembered as the Rich Little of the trumpet - talented, can imitate anybody, but nothing original to offer.

And jazz -music in general, actually - no, art in general- is about nothing if not originality.

Wynton Marsalis and his cronies Ken Burns and Stanley Crouch should be shot in the head and dumped in a swamp for their crimes against jazz, music, and art.

Chang Style Novice
03-12-2002, 07:11 PM
Not that I have strong feelings on the subject or anything.

Sharky
03-12-2002, 07:13 PM
help me :(

Chang Style Novice
03-12-2002, 07:19 PM
Sure Sharky. Send me your snailmail address and I'll put you on the list for my CD mailout.;)

F'real - I think the guy Azeem that I was talking up in the earlier thread would be right up your alley. Songs to seek out - "Simple Ting" "Imma (remix)" "Th'Underground" "Organic Food Revolutionaries"

Yung Apprentice
03-12-2002, 08:38 PM
Redrum by Redrum inc. That song is tight to workout to. It has a lil metal in it, but it's a gangsta trak. Gets me pumped up. There from Las Vegas if your not familiar with them, under Doomsday Productions. I think it's on there website so that you can download it. www.cinsity.com Fast paced rap helps me workout.

diego
03-13-2002, 01:47 AM
if you can get someone to cutup the intro when it scratches for the beat drops, that makes me want to stomp my foot:D maybe punch a pillow or something.

that old naughty song everything gonna be alright/ghetto *******? cant remember the name; some get alittle some get none//was one who never had// walked round always mad, mahhuck my dad// well anyway i did stickups// made trigger hiccups?? at the end he all stay the **** out the ghetto"allright"- the hook drops, i think its on the opp album.

Obviously warriors/cold as ice/ anteup from the last M.ash O.ut P.osse album titled warriors.

a wicked track to get amped while feeling cool like your dissing is SAAFIR off his last album dog&his master// what a thug would do- with chino/ crawl before you ball with KAM is tight hella pumpable.

the whole THE D.O.C Album NO1CAN DOIT BETTER, the last track featuring the original NWA cube and all the grandfinale, is serious **** like ripping carebear heads off your sis's ****s.:mad: :rolleyes: ****in hm i just uppd the first ghettoboys off my boy, get bushwick bill's track size aint s-hit MYGOD, DUDES LIKE 4FEET......AWEinspiring

first Cypress is a good workout album black sundays aight if you can bring that vibe.

dl some black moon tracks, who got the props/buck em down.

yah krsone rappersRnDANJA/mcs act like they dont know/9MM from the criminal minded album is one of my favorite tracks

the whole frankie cutlass album from 95-96 just pulled that out to lazy to check the title, you should know unless your herbd, its a classic comp, got that track with redman a dude from gpwu sadatx and others the hooks all I WANT YOU N U N U TO CLAP YOUR HANDSclap your hands, THEN RED COMES IN IIIIENDEVER CLEVER.

check i think 360 off the raenghost cubanlink album where they hiest a dealer its only like two minutes but the verses are crazy, i pump that on repeat for like a hour
they all ****theglock gun**** shootup the spot raes spittn crazy....

a good album to cooldown to djquicks i think debut way2funky?"title" its got another fave TONIGHT

YAH THESE are some offthe heads im pumping....

Tae Li
03-13-2002, 01:55 AM
holy crapp!!

you sure know your music diego....

that was some read.

so does anyone know how yo find out the composer of a theme song to put on your phone??? like FOL theme song??

im asking yet again...anyone?

Tae Li;)