PDA

View Full Version : 61 percent of american adults are overweight

rubthebuddha
03-11-2002, 05:32 PM
according to a recent msnbc article,

"Thirty-four percent of U.S. adults aged 20 to 74 years are overweight, and an additional 27 percent are obese."

not the best of numbers. pretty sad, actually.

now what are your thoughts on it? how do you deal with this issue in your daily life, either as an overweight person, having overweight friends and family or in any other way.

personally speaking, i have all the muscle i really need. i'm just trying to get rid of the pretzels that came with my six pack. but it's an ongoing thing that diet is provoking and a lack of enough time in the day is keeping me from substantial cardio work.

anyhoo, your thoughts on this issue? it is not limited to the US, so those of you all over the world, please share as well.

and to provoke them, dailyprobe.com recently had this as a headline:

"Americans to Be Excluded from New Soylent Green Lite"

red_fists
03-11-2002, 05:40 PM
Hi.

In my case Marriage & getting older put a few extra tires around my middle. :D
Most of that came from to many brewskies.

So what do I do, try to eat smaller meals, snack less and cut back on the ol' amber liquid. Get extra fiber in and try to make sure that all my Meals are balanced.

Bottoms up, here's looking at you Kid.

Glad, that they are cutting Americans out of Soylent green lite, now the nasty flavour is gone. :P

Just kidding guys.

qeySuS
03-11-2002, 05:42 PM
I'm having the opposite problems, i cant put on weight, oh well the horrors of skinny people.

joedoe
03-11-2002, 05:43 PM
I think the figures are pretty bad in Oz as well. Too much grease and sugar in the western diet I think :(

red_fists
03-11-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by qeySuS
I'm having the opposite problems, i cant put on weight, oh well the horrors of skinny people.

Don't worry. I had the same problem, it will change when the big 3 in your age draws closer.

And when you get married.

ewallace
03-11-2002, 05:55 PM
For me it was injury, marriage and a kid. Beer didn't help either. It also seemed that once I moved out of the folks and out on my own that my diet went to crap. I drink once or twice a month now, get about an hour of cardio 5 days a week and weights 3 times a week. I eat mainly chicken, pork,rice, veggies and fruits. The weight is starting to drop off pretty quick. I started getting back into sports like softball and found a renewed interest in that kind of thing. Kinda took me back to being a young boy.

Silumkid
03-11-2002, 06:03 PM
Yes it true! Americans are getting fatter and fatter every day! That's why if you are in California, you should sign up for Personal Training with yours truly right away!

We have great beaches and good looking women! Don't let rolls and rolls of ugly fat keep you from them! Call and order your Personal Training today!

All annual memberships receive a FREE "Got Silum?" T-shirt! We even have plus sizes!

DON'T DELAY, ORDER TODAY!!!!

*The above is not endorsed or explained by anyone and we should keep it that way.

Chang Style Novice
03-11-2002, 06:07 PM
"61 percent of american adults are overweight"

And they all seem to want to sit next to me on the bus. I'm 32, with a fondness for greasy food and heavy beer, and it shows on my modest Buddha belly and love handles. But My God! How can anyone wider than they are tall look at themselves in the mirror and say "Yeah, I'm ordering in another extra-large pie with everything tonight. And then a nice 6 hour stretch of watchin' TV." I know they really aren't bad folks - I have friends and relatives that have been morbidly obese for as long as I've known them. But something has to be eating you up inside to allow yourself to reach that stage. And obviously whatever it is ain't a tapeworm.

Poor eating habits is a major, major pat of it. I have a stepsister who is that big, and she and her husband just don't eat fruit. They just don't. A pear isn't sweet enough for their sweet tooths, or something. They won't go more than a couple hours without eating candy in some form, though.

Me, I think a pear is a really nice breakfast, or dessert. Maybe both. A nice FRESH pear - none of this canned crap in heavy syrup.

'Course, I sometimes bring a ziplock of raw snap beans to munch on. They're tastier than potato or tortilla chips, and fill you up better too.

Wow, was that a rambling rant. I gotta work on my tolerance for the fatties out there. Like I say, I know they aren't bad people.

TjD
03-11-2002, 06:39 PM
yeah americans are **** fat :)
its kinda scary; especially seeing the way adults eat - and what they think is good for them
for some reason they cant seem to stay away from just plain ol fatty meals :)

what i really think is the cause is that back when most americans were farmers, they needed large amounts of fat and stuff like that in their diets, just so they didnt fade away into nothing, now that everyones eating nearly the same diet, but sitting at a desk all day long - that cant be helping

i was just looking through some of my neighbors old old cookbooks from back in the 30s and 40s, and i couldnt believe my eyes what people were taught to eat

but im with queysus, im 6', and weigh 155 - and thats only because i supplement my diet with protien, i went off that stuff for a few months and i was down to 140 :) i really have to work to put the weight on

even with beer!

but most people i know at school are somewhat overweight (being a computer science major probably isnt helping it either)

and i only know a few parents that arent fat ;)

peace
trav

logic
03-11-2002, 06:53 PM
No one around me is fat,so I guess that helps out. But I eat sensible.In the morning it's oatmeal,then I don't eat until supper which is a hardy meal.
plus my M.A. workout and weight lifting.

I do eat fast food now and then.
I'm the one holding the k.f.c. bag.
www.gotthardt.net/kyle/k0783.jpg

Sharky
03-11-2002, 09:03 PM
Hand the bag to your mate, he looks like he needs it.

On a lighter note, what percentage of ethiopians are overweight?

Zapf Dingbat
03-11-2002, 09:14 PM
www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com

Seriously, though... I'm one of those skinny young guys who can't gain weight. I know it'll more than likely wear off as I get older, but I think that my general appetite has to increase, first. Just to give you an example.... I can't finish a normal sized "meal" at McDonalds or BK or Sonic or whatever. That being a burger, a drink, and fries. Usually I eat 80 % of the burger and 90 % of the fries are left over. My stomach just doesn't expand enough I guess.

135 pounds and... well... NOT counting!

Serpent
03-11-2002, 09:15 PM
Or Afghanis? I wonder if there's been an obesity problem over there in the last couple of decades........

PHILBERT
03-11-2002, 09:32 PM
I have the opposite problem, I can't gain weight or get bigger. I get stronger, but not bigger.

I think the major problem is time. As a former cashier at a grocery store, I can tell you that people are stressed by the end of the day. I use to see people come into my grocery store in there work clothes, angry, stressed and wanted to go home. When they got home, plop onto the couch, have dinner and watch television then go to bed and get up for another stressful day.

I think its work really. People work so hard in the day, get stressed and dont want to work out in the evening `cause they want to just sit back and relax.

People also are not really inspired. They are like "Ok, I work out, I get skinny, then what do I get? I die anyway." They dont have a reason to work out. So they say "f*ck that, I'll just live for the moment." People need an inspiration.

Satanachia
03-11-2002, 09:53 PM
I'm one of those lean guys that can't put on weight either.
Although in the past year and a bit (just around the time i started kung fu), i have put on about 10 kg, (about 20 pounds), so i'm pretty stoked.
Now i'm 6'0 and 170. And going up slowly but surely, and in a good way.
Course i'm still lean, and my appetite is still the same. Eat everything i can get my hands on all during the day.
Unlike Zapf's problem of not being able to get through a meal at McDonalds, i'm more likely to go up, ask for a large one, then order 2 more quarter pounders to go along with that.
Or if i'm in the mood for change, 20 chicken nuggets and a large Mc value meal do nicely :)

TaoBoy
03-11-2002, 10:19 PM
It's not a USA problem, it's a Western world problem.
Too much fat. Too much sugar. Too much processed garbage.
Not enough exercise.

Wanna get those abs showing? - improve your diet.
Exercise is nothing without good fuel.

Now, I think I'll go get me a pizza.:D

Budokan
03-12-2002, 07:12 AM
Sickeningly fat and grossly misshappen people are a pretty sad sight, but not as sad as fat and grossly misshapen children. Whenever I see something like that waddling down the aisle in Wal-Mart munching on a bag of salty snacks while the other meaty hand clutches a soda drink, my gorge rises. But, it's not the kids' fault, though, but their parents who are ultimately responsible. Which is yet another reason I am certain there should be some sort of means testing before some people are allowed to reproduce...

Anyway, I for one am not overly concerned that there are so many fat, greasy people with porkpie fingers who are woefully out of shape and run out of breath just because they walk up to the counter in McDonalds. It just means there are that many more people I can a.) run away from or b.) beat the sh*t out of.:)

Having said all that, some fat women are said to be pretty good in bed. After all, there's something to be said for the old axiom: "The bigger the cushion, the better the pushin'." :D

But I still wouldn't bang Liz Taylor or Starr Jones.

qeySuS
03-12-2002, 07:30 AM
Well undre normal circumstances i have a very healthy appetite, i just finished a double cheeseburger supersize meal at McDonalds and i kinda feel like icecream now, i dont eat veggies, only meat. And i only drink water at practice, when i'm out it's only coke.

And still i dont gain weight. I guess in THAT sense it's ok, that's just fat weight, but i dnt gain muscle weight easy either (then again i hate lifting weights, and if i do i do PTP so i'm not about to grow).

Btw 5'9" and 145-150Lbs. (68kg).

old jong
03-12-2002, 07:37 AM
Why not make the best out of it...Become a Sumoka!
:D

ewallace
03-12-2002, 07:40 AM
Another downer is that people think they can get in shape by sitting their lazy ass on the couch with a bag of pork rhines and a 64 oz coke and strap one of those muscle zapper belts on and get fit. People (especially Americans) want results now, today. I think I will make an infomercial. It will go something like this:

Are you tired of the way you look? Are you fearing that high school reunion this summer? Do you feel that the whole world is staring at you and thinking "wow, lay off the cheeseburgers"?

Well, chances are that is exactly what they are thinking. I'll let you in on a secret...you want to get fit and I can show you the way. For $69.99 a month, I will show you how to properly get your ass on a treadmill. Biking and swimming will become a part of your everyday life. Other programs promise results in 8 to 10 days. But with my scientifically proven methods, you'll be on your way to a better body in 12 to 15 months. It only takes 1-2 hours a day, 5 days a week. And here's the best part, you CAN'T eat everything you want. Before you probably thought that those delicous carrots and mouth-watering salads wouldn't be possible to drop that extra weight. But guess what, you can just forget about those super-sized value meals with a soda that damm near could fill a kiddie pool. The only super-size in your future is a treadmill that will support the super-size rolls over your ankles.

But wait...there's more. If you call within the next ten minutes you will receive a free set of custom embroidered towels that you will need while sweating your ass off. That's a $39.99 value just for calling RIGHT NOW!

So say goodbye to the triple bypass and hello to the warm sands on the beach. I know that you have always wanted to be able to hop into that Mazda Miata. With Smaller Ass by Eric you can make that dream and many more a reality. Operators are standing by to take your order. So put down the chili-cheese coney and call now.

// End commercial.

norther practitioner
03-12-2002, 09:00 AM
LOL, I like the infomercial. I am much different than all you skinny people. I am 5'8" with a large frame and a beer belly. Other than that I am in decent shape. I have decent cardio, and pretty strong legs. I guess skiing and stance work will do that. I am however the type of person that can eat a 1 oz. bag of chips, and gain like 12 lbs. I can however improve my diet again (I'll go like 7 months health freak, then a few off). Losing wieght for me is hard though, I work out prob. 5 days a week, and don't eat that bad (don't eat fast food, try to stay away from grease). I plateau at weights, I was 228 when I moved to Denver. Mountain biking, skiing, hiking, and kung fu has gotten me down to 187 now. However there were a few pitstops on the way, I got down to 200-205 fairly quickly, then stayed there for a month or two, then down to 193-196 for a while, then down to where I am now. My goal is to get down to the low 180s to high 170s. I have some family that is overweight, and it saddens me, but they don't really lead that healthy of a lifestyle. I also think they have bit into just about every diet fad out there. The don't have a lot of time they say to exercise, they just don't realize that they can work out when doing other things. watching tv, jump on the treadmill (which they have in there basement, along with a nordic track, weight bench, etc.). I guess the two young kids can slow that down, but there diets are also not as good as it should be. The whole I just worked 8-10 hours, I am tired, why should I kill myself working out. I am happy that I am starting to do the opposite, get home from work (in front of a computer all day) and want to go train, ride my bike, or work out.

PHILBERT
03-12-2002, 11:55 AM
Budokan, it's also a gene thing in children's case. When I was young, I could eat anything and everything and not gain weight. I ate chips and cookies like there was no tomorrow and I wouldnt gain weight. But it is the parents fault that there kid is putting on pounds and they should realize the kid doesnt have a good metabolism.

Ray Pina
03-12-2002, 12:04 PM
I gained about 20lbs this year after I blew out my knee surfing in Sept. Its almost back to where I can get in the water so I should dropp it by June.

I usually gain a few in the winter going into hybernation mode. I'm at my best shape in October, after surfing all summer and Hurricane season in Sept. I usaully surf in the winter as well, but not this year. I've focused 100% on training while my knee heals.

I'm concerned I can hurt it again. The surfing movement is not the best for me knee -- but I love it.

Chang Style Novice
03-12-2002, 12:10 PM
Say, what are the definitions of overweight and obese, as used by this study?

ewallace
03-12-2002, 12:12 PM
For the record I am currently a bit overweight myself. The difference is I am doing something about it and I do not expect the results I want to come for at least a year. I am a big believer in having to be able to make fun of yourself before you go and poke fun at others. :)

ewallace
03-12-2002, 12:14 PM
They used the BMI (Body Mass Index). These things are not that accurate though. There are a lot of factors not included.

Ford Prefect
03-12-2002, 12:19 PM
I think Chang brings up a very good point. What is overweight in the eyes of this study. Is it some height:weight ratio or is dependent on body fat %. I've seen some of those height_weight ratio charts, and a lot of the best, most in-shape athletes in the world are overweight according to the chart. I agree that there is defiantely an obesity problem in post-industrial nations due to sitting in chairs all day, eating fatty processed foods, and not exercising enough, but that problem is being blown way out of proportion.

Ford Prefect
03-12-2002, 12:24 PM
Yeah, those BMI's are COMPLETE BS. According to those BMI's, I am overweight. I am 6', 185 lbs, 6% Body Fat. I'm pretty shredded in that I have good muscular definition and 6-pack abs. Now, am I overweight? According to the BMI I am...

Chang Style Novice
03-12-2002, 12:35 PM
That's what I'm saying. I'm probably slightly 'overweight' on account of my muscle-dense legs and um...jiggly midsection. But I don't think I'm running any serious health risk because I'm very physically active and although I have some body fat, it's not an extreme amount. Hell, there's nothing wrong with having a little bit of a booty or belly if you're not a pro-athelete or whatever. It's when people are chronically out-of-shape and uninterested or unwilling to help themselves out of that rut that I get upset.

If I see a fatty jogging or powerwalking my thought isn't "Haha! Look at the fatty!" but "Right on, man!"

Budokan
03-12-2002, 12:37 PM
Ford Prefect, if you are 6-foot 185-lbs you are most definitely NOT overweight. Once again BMI fails. Shame really, because so many doctors are using this ridiculous scale to determine whether or not their patients are overweight. Why? Because they get a kickback from the diet pill companies when they prescribe diet medication....

Ewallace, that was one funny commercial by the way.:D

Ray Pina
03-12-2002, 12:45 PM
Something worth mentioning:

Just because you are skinny, or even muscular, does not guarentee you are healthy.

Look at roided football players. I played one year of college ball and dropped it because a) I'd rather surfb, but B) everyone was on roids, even the QB and I wanted no part of that.

So they looked healhty, but: How is their circulation? Their nervous system? Their posture? Their mind?

Health is a funny thing. Having a good mind and good circulation but being a few pounds over isn't so bad in my eyes, compared to stressed out, bad blood, bad mind and muscled.

Balance. And being skinny but eating terrible food is still unhealthy. That Big Mac will rot in your intestines whether it shows or not on the outside.

No one mentioned though how a few pounds can impact your fighting -- positively. To a degree.

Merryprankster
03-12-2002, 12:48 PM
Ford--same thing here. I'm overweight at 6'0 185. Huh?

ewallace
03-12-2002, 12:51 PM
I am 6' also. I always think of 185 as the perfect weight for that height. What a crock of crap.

rubthebuddha
03-12-2002, 01:38 PM
****it, chang style, the bmi was the next topic i was gonna bring up, but on another thread. i'm 5'9", 165-170 and hell, even i'm overweight according to that thing, even though my body fat percentage is around 17 (would be better but for those darn chocolate-covered pretzels). honestly, i don't think a person who can do one-arm fingertip pushups is going to be overweight.

Chang Style Novice
03-12-2002, 01:45 PM
Well, don't foget, in media terms Calista Flockhart is an ideal beauty and Kate Winslet is a big fat pig.

In my terms Calista Flockhart is a skeletal freak no more attractive than Mr. Salty the pretzel logo, and Kate Winslet is a hottie.

ewallace
03-12-2002, 01:48 PM
Watch what you say about Mr. Salty :)

Ford Prefect
03-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Evolution,

I agree some what, but, body builders aside, people who have low body-fat, a good amount of lean muscle, and are athletically active are not unhealthy. The unhealthy ones are definately not the norm.

rubthebuddha
03-12-2002, 01:55 PM
and have we ever actually seen someone in the media who's worthy of calling someone else attractive? i'm serious. the guys look like they went to the mr. rogers school of individualism and the women are packing 12 ounces of collagen and more makeup than an entire clinique counter.

without makeup assistants and wardrobe managers, these people would wind up dressed worse than peewee herman.

anyhoo, calista flockhart makes somalis look a little plump. it takes her six minutes to sway back down every time she sneezes or breaks wind.

Chang Style Novice
03-12-2002, 02:07 PM
ewallace -

Mr. Salty is all yours, if that's what you're into. You may want to consult a psychologist about being attracted to advertising logos, though.

Rubthebuddha -

You got that right. Maybe I'm just wierd, but I'll take a small chest made of flesh over a pair of silicone-melons. And what's up with that freaky skullhead botox look? Yeesh.

dezhen2001
03-12-2002, 02:10 PM
U know, i been trying to figure out why i could eat whatever when i was young and still not put on any weight... I really think it's because i used to spend all day being active outside (I grew up in the countryside). I used to climb trees, run through fields, help on the farm. How many kids do that nowadays?

It sounds kinda cliched, and even though i'm 22 this is what i've noticed. I work as a lifeguard in a swimming pool/leisure complex. Often we have schools coming in for lessons or whatever: kids seem to be getting a lot more unhealthy IMO.

I don't mean 'overweight' - you can still be big and healthy, like you can be skinny and unhealthy.

It's just something i've noticed thru work...

david

ewallace
03-12-2002, 02:13 PM
You got the wrong mr. salty:D

logic
03-12-2002, 02:52 PM
Man, I must be really out of shape and over weight.
5.ft 11"
208 pounds

I'll put the k.f.c. bag down.Or better yet I'll take Sharkys advise and give it to my skinny friend:D :D
He can't gain weight either.
I don't think b.m.i. takes weight lifting into account.

www.gotthardt.net/kyle/k0783.jpg

Silumkid
03-12-2002, 03:38 PM
BMI takes NOTHING into account beisdes your height and weight. That is it! You look at your height on one column, your weight on another and voila! You are about to die right now! BMI index is crap. Certain bodyfat indicators are not all that reliable either. Certain ones come with a disclaimer that they are not acurate for muscular or over-fat people....so what's the point? Point being: if you feel like crap, figure out why. Pretty simple.

ewallace, once you start making some money, I'm suing you. Just a heads up. :D

ewallace
03-12-2002, 03:43 PM
Crap man I didn't see your post. My fault. For legal purposes, I'll run your name up the screen really fast and in very small letters at the end of the infomercial.

Silumkid
03-12-2002, 03:52 PM
Cool....I always wanted to be the subject of small print rather than a victim!

It's a deal!

ewallace
03-12-2002, 03:55 PM
Either that or you can be the guy assisting the model on the rowing machine with proper thigh placement like on the morning workout programs on ESPN :)

Silumkid
03-12-2002, 03:57 PM
Heeeeeeeey....I like that even better. If we can sign the deal with Timea Majrovia, that would be sweetest of the sweet!

All we need is a name....how about Morning Fondle and Flex?

qeySuS
03-12-2002, 04:24 PM
Btw when i eat i eat a lot, and i always thought "wow i eat a ****load and i dont gain weight", but i've seen how much fatty ppl eat (my sisters is HEAVY), and well it's a whole other world of eating, they eat when i eat, and about as much, but in between it's chocolate bars and snacks, and well i dunno if this is a female thing or not but ICECREAM and by the gallons.

I sometimes forget to eat for a day or two and realize "**** i really gotta eat now havent eaten for a while" and then i eat like a pig, but that doesnt seem to be the case for some.

omegapoint
03-12-2002, 05:40 PM
...And 95% are oblivious and borderline retarded. So what's new?

rubthebuddha
03-13-2002, 12:01 AM
chang style: darn tootin. me? i don't like the gihugic gunboats on a girl. it's quality, not quan-tit-y (;)). i like a girl who's just as she appears to be -- beautiful, intelligent, sweet and more than able to whoop my butt.

oh wait. i already have one. :) lucky me!