PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shaolin and changes in the forms over time

beiquan
03-11-2002, 07:41 PM
Here's a question for you guys, inspired by Gene's post on "original shaolin staff and sword". i am a BSL practitioner, and in terms of my BSL lineage, i am of the 5th generation (counting Yan Shang Wu as the 1st) after Gu Ru Zhang. I have noticed some differences in my BSL forms from those of other lineages -- i've had the chance to see students of Wing Lam (2nd/3rd gen. through YSW), Wong Jack Man (2nd gen through YSW), and Lai Hung (2nd gen through Long Zi Xiang). these differences are minute, for the most part - a fist instead of a palm here, a few extra kicks (we have kicks such as roundhouse, spinning heel, even a sort of hook kick that i haven't seen in other BSL systems).
my question is first: assuming that all of the students of GRZ learned the same forms (a big assumption on its own), how do such differences arise? we've all heard that in the past, techniques were culled out or added based on their combat effectiveness; however, considering that most of the changes i'm referring to have taken place in the last century, this seems like a less plausible reason. i can think of a number of possible reasons for changes to occur in a form over time: forgetfulness, changing of the forms for demonstration purposes, removal of techniques that are overly repetetive, removal of techniques that are overly difficult, mixing with other styles, etc... just interested to see what people think of this.
second: how should we as students react to these sort of changes? the example given of the guy who practices over 50 different types of Beng Bu is one extreme example of a possible solution. Personally, as a martial artist, i just want to learn techniques that work. But as a scholar (well, a student anyway...) and someone with an interest in history, i'm also interested in the "tradition" of chinese wushu in a way that was described by someone as Confucian -- i'm interested in the transmission of the teaching. From this point of view i'm a little dismayed to think that the forms have been "changed"; but as a martial artist, i'm just happy to learn new moves, i respect my sifu and our lineage and i believe that what i'm getting from him is real BSL, and i see these changes as being the product of four previous generations of refinement.

i'm just curious what others here think of this issue. i've noticed that in general, every BSL school that i've observed does their forms slightly differently. however, within other systems of MA, there seems to be a bit more continuity -- especially among certain styles; for example i've seen lots of people perform Zhaquan #4 and it always looks almost exactly the same; however there are books and reference materials galore for this form. same with the Tiger/Crane set; although i see differences in emphasis between schools, the movements all look pretty consistent -- again, there are a number of printed materials and diagrams of this form. perhaps the fact that a form or style is documented has a kind of "standardizing" effect on the way that it is passed down within the tradition?

thanks,
beiquan

PS if anyone's interested in comparing forms, you can see our #6 at http://www.harmoniousfist.com/videos.asp

xiong
03-12-2002, 08:10 AM
I think the differences have to do with the individual. Have you ever noticed how your brothers and sisters may have slightly different interpretations of a form from you? You all learned the same form but they may look slightly different. Over time these differences would probably magnify and I'm sure that memory or wanting to put an individual stamp on forms may also play a part.

I have noticed Wing Lam and Lai Hung talking about each others forms as variations on the form.

I'd be interested to see your Duan Da, I think Sevenstar would too. I have some forms (#6, #4, and #7) on VHS but have not digitized them. They are tournament footage from my classmates.

norther practitioner
03-12-2002, 08:18 AM
Well there are (as you displayed) many, many reasons why forms are altered. In my experience, when doing a form for competition, or for a demonstration, depending on the crowd, we'll flash it up, or add little things to it. Also, when we are teaching a form, sometimes we'll modify the form to suit the person doing it. If they can't do a butterfly kick, then we take it out, if there drop stance isn't low enough yet, then we'll change the stance. As for effectiveness, we may do drills where we will change a sequence of moves from a form to be more effective. Also the flavor of the form, flow, speed ect. will change from practitioner to practitioner, so that being said, the forms flavor will be different from different teachers, even if there teacher taught it the same to both. Go ahead and foward me that link, I would really like to see some other forms.

GeneChing
03-12-2002, 10:58 AM
BQ: Glad I inspired you, you inspire me to respond. :) This forum was going a little stale so it's good to see some intelligent dialog from everyone here again. You might check out the version from Chan Kwok Wai. He has a book (in Portuguese if our other thread about this is correct.) It too has some interesting variations.

X: In the Jinan tournament video that WLE sells, you can see me doing #6 - that was over 10 years ago and pretty standard to Wing Lam's version.

As for form variation - such is the nature of any art. Why martial artists are so rigid in their literallity has always befuddled me. Art is about studying the classics - the masters - replicating them to your best ability to learn their techniques THEN progessing on to find yourself.
I always use the example of music. You learn to play by learning some songs that you like. You emulate the masters. But if you play exactly like the masters, it's just a bad imitation. Take Elvis impersonators. Or imagine if Brintey Spears did "I love rock and roll" just like Joan Jett. OK, that was a really bad analogy just to see if you all were paying attention, but my point stands. To breathe life into the form, your life, you must have some variation. You must make it your own.
I suppose much of the problem lies in people trying to variate before the get the essence of the form. Sort of like Britney and Joan again. If Britney could really rock, she might be able to take that song to greater heights. She's got better dance moves than Joan. But she misses the 'rock and roll' - she's never 'put a coin in a jukebox', she's only downloaded MP3's. "roll" has completely dropped out of her vernacular - it's a different mentality.
OK, I'm going to leave that analogy alone now - I've tortured you all enough with it.
Personally, I try everyone's version to some degree. To get back to the original example, the TSPK opening to the 9 continent staff is pretty cool in a flashy impractical way, but I like it. I am playing with incorporating that opening to the way I do the BSL version. This doesn't mean that I'm changing the BSL version. When I teach for Wing Lam, in his house, I'll do the version he taught nme as exactly as I am able. But for my personal practice, I like to experiment. I might show a variation to a student, but I make an earnest attempt to be loyal to the original transmission.

buddhapalm
03-12-2002, 11:38 AM
Gene said:

"As for form variation - such is the nature of any art. Why martial artists are so rigid in their literallity has always befuddled me. Art is about studying the classics - the masters - replicating them to your best ability to learn their techniques THEN progessing on to find yourself. "

I agree with you (almost) completely.

Regarding changes or alterations; to suit themselves or their nature, I think each practitioner will alter the forms to suit their tastes or needs.

Some tastes may be more demonstrative, some tastes may be more combatative. So long as the flashier, possibly impractical new moves are explained to the students that they are for looks and should not be used, then I think the demonstrative parts wont interfere with their combatative training.

If new moves are altered for combat purposes and work, it should be great.

In hand to hand styles we have a lot to learn and improve now, with exposure to global martial arts, such as jujutsu, boxing, wrestling etc. So its good that we improve our art somehow to be able to go head to head with these styles, if at present we cannot. Either we dig deeper into our own styles or create new additional counter techniques to the new styles we now face.

(Gene - my post on the Shaolin staff thread was more directed towards weapons forms and alterations, in the vacuum of real testing)

Anyway its a pleasure to debate, agree and exchange on these subjects that we love.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

GLW
03-12-2002, 04:49 PM
As for changes...they are natural for many reasons...

First and most obvious is that people may hear and see the same thing at the same time and interpret it differently. I know that I have classmates who are in the same class as me...and they come up with really strange ways of doing things that the instructor never did...and sometimes they are just plain wrong...other times, they are alternate ways of doing things.

Then you have modification for physical limitations or talents. If you don't kick high well, you may...especially as you get older, modify some techniques. Then, when you teach, your students may not ever know of the other way of doing things...2 generations later, you have a unique way of doing the routine.

Some teachers actually teach different methods. They may tailor a routine to a students strengths and weaknesses. Then, you get two students from a teacher who do things differently.

There are also things like Tan Tui where you have options. You can do low, medium, or high strikes, straight punch, round punch, scooping punch, upper cut punch...and then the kicks are there.... Now, if you have a person who did not learn the options, you can get many versions.

As long as they adhere to the principles and concepts of the style they are from, I would say they are all valid.

NorthernShaolin
03-13-2002, 12:55 AM
Everything cited above by everyone are part of the reasons why forms change over time. Beiquan, you are right to say that there appears to be more of a deviation between NSL branches of KYC lineage.

Sets naturally evolve from generation to generation. Sifus evolve as they grow older with their style. This evolving is not to be confused with the word 'improving'. The important part of any style to survive the course of time and to ensure that the essence of the style, i.e., the priniciples and concepts are passed to the next generation. Sets are just a vehicle to pass the essence of the style. Other styles will use another vehilce such as teaching fighting techniques only and are willing to let their sets fade away with time. Surivial of any style is really in the hands of the GMs of the style.

In NSL, tradition always stated that each grandmaster are allow to add a technique to his favorite set but never substract any techniques and as long as the addition does not change the flavor of the set. At one time, many, many, many years ago, all 10 set of NSL were of the same length but today one can see that the GMs of yester-years favored #3, #2 and #10 because these sets are the longest while #4 hardly changed over time and is the shortest of the 10 NSL sets. The general feeling about #4 was that the set was nearly perfect the way it is composed and the way it flows.

Many years ago I did a study on the differences between Yim Shan Wu's teaching and Lung Tzu Hsing's teaching of the 10 NSL sets. What I was expecting was slight differences between the teaching but what I discovered was unexpected.

As the students demonstrated their sets one can tell which sifu taught them. Some of the reasons that I can remember why the differences were:
1. YSW was kept a pure NSL disciple and thus had the real essence of NSL that KYC wanted to pass to the next generation.
2. YSW was not an exchanged student to Tam Sam to learn Ts'ai Li Fu.
3. LTH was traded early in his NSL training to Tam Sam and thus it was natural for him to intermix the concepts and principles of NSL and TLF as he learned both styles simutaniously . LTH tend to show 'external' power as he performed his NSL sets while YSW was more fluid and flowing like KYC.
4. LTH was 20 years younger than YSW.
5. KYC was evolving with his NSL as he grew older.
6. YSW was one of KYC first students and as a result, KYC spend a greater time teaching YSW than the later years.
7. YSW was able to communicated better with KYC than LTH because YSW was closed to KYC's age and shared a greater experience together.
8. more but can't remember.

Just before LTH died, YSW and LTH taught together and thus shared most of the students. YSW and LTH also had their own special disciples that they kept separated with the desire to pass what they believed to be the essence of their style to these individuals.

So even though these two classmates learn under one sifu, they had differences within their sets. I have resolved that there will be differences within the NSL but that is why it is called Martial Arts; interpetation of the movements as one observed and remembers it. Again, it really does not matter how much deviation is between NSL sets but that the sets contain the essence of the style.

norther practitioner
03-13-2002, 01:38 PM
can you somehow post that video in any other format (ie real player or windows media player)

beiquan
03-13-2002, 07:03 PM
NorthernShaolin -- great info, as usual! here's another question: do you think that there are certain "core" techniques within the 10 BSL forms that really embody or constitute the "essence" of the style? is this what the 18 Hands are supposed to be? i can think of a number of combinations that recur in a lot of the forms. for example, many of the techniques from Tan Tui spring up again and again throughout the forms, in addition to certain kicking combinations and certain notably "Shaolin" moves.

northern practitioner -- sorry, i only have it in QT format!

NorthernShaolin
03-14-2002, 12:27 AM
Beiquan,

In each of the 10 NSL sets there are core techniques that are connected by transition moves. To really undestand which techinques are the core techniques within each set and which are only the transition moves, one must forget the number of the set and look at the names of the set. For example in NLS #4, it is called Chest Attacks. This set teaches one to attack the center line of your opponent by using different angles and side stepping. An example of a connecting transition move in this set would be the tornado kick which really positions oneself for the next series of core techniques. One must also understand that the beginning and ending techniques within each set are just signatures of the GMs of the style and really are not part of the core techniques. Another example is NSL #8 which is called Leaps. I mention before in past posting that this set alternate name is Three Plams, Eight Steps. This name really demonstartes how to attack your opponent by using three different attacking palms within eight attacking steps.

Each of the 10 NSL set is offering a set of core techniques of the style. Collectively all 10 NSL sets represents the essense of the five northern mother styles which really represents Shaolin. This is the real intent of NSL.

As for the 18 Shaolin hands, I mention in a previous posting that I believe this set was composed by KYC himself and its purpose was to capture what he believes is the essence of NSL. In my research, I have found that there is no record that this set existed before his time. The presentation of this set is entirely different than the regular 10 NSL sets, i.e., the series of techniques are repeated in a series of threes and the set is performed in a line. The set is well-composed and it gets the message quickly across to the student but when comparied to the other 10 NSL sets, one gets a feeling that the sets is a very recent composition.

GeneChing
03-14-2002, 11:36 AM
NS: I tend to agree that the 18 was created by KYC since some vebal accounts confirm this (although those can be very unreliable.) What puzzles me is the tiger claw technique in the 18, since that does not exist in the core 10 (at least not in my lineage.) I could easily see KYC added the 18 to fit the Tamo myth.

NorthernShaolin
03-14-2002, 12:44 PM
Gene,

I was surprise when I saw the 'Tiger Claw' done in the 18 hand set by Wing's school and, yes, it is uncharactistic of NSL. My initial thought was that your sifu modified it as his own imprint as a way to track the teaching of this set through time. This is a common practice among sifus, especially when there are other NSL sifus teaching in the area. I never got the chance to ask him.

Everyone in NSL that I know which includes not only Wing's generation but also the generation before, the techniques is done with a spear thrust to the neck.

GeneChing
03-15-2002, 10:51 AM
You're probably right. It certainly would make a lot more sense.
Sifu Lam doesn't teach the 18 very often. He feels it's a little redundant. I wanted to learn it so bad for years. When he finally taught it, he did so over a summer and invited his hung gar and tai chi students to participate, turning the whole exercise into an applications class. It was great, but ironically, I went to Shaolin Temple in the middle of it, so I missed a big chunk. But then I astonished everyone by coming back and filling the gap in a few minutes. After all, I was one of the few then who knew the 10, so all I needed to get was the transitions. Also I worked on his 18 video, so I figured it out from that. Anyway, I've forgotten the pattern since (but I'm sure I could rebuild it quickly if I looked at the video again.) Inevitably I followed Sifu Lam in feeling that the 18 was a little redundant if you know the 10. It's just the 10 converted to line drills, and you can turn any technique into a line drill - just drill it on the other side.
Is that a spear thrust like in #7?

Tai-Jutsuka
03-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Thanks for all of your good advice which has left me with one other question. Where online could I see some sort of instruction or .AVI demonstration of proper training for some of these moves?

Gold Horse Dragon
03-15-2002, 08:34 PM
I agree with your post Gene and that also of Buddhapalm.

The Bak Sillum I know is very close to your sifu Gene (which is the only sets by another sifu I have had the opportunity to see)...there are only minor differences to what I learned.

GHD

NorthernShaolin
03-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Gene,

Yes the spear thrust is like in #7.

GeneChing
03-19-2002, 10:57 AM
Any other significant differences?

NorthernShaolin
03-20-2002, 10:35 PM
Yes, I think it is row 13. Your school does a heel kick then turns around and does a side kick followed by an upper cut. Everyone else does it with a 'shave kick' (standing sweep like in #1) the turn around and does 'White Horse Offers its Hoof' like in #1 followed by the upper cut punch.

I do not recall any other real differences. Except of course the two moves before the ending is different...a signature of a NSL GM.

BPK
04-24-2002, 08:00 AM
Just to add a little something to the discussion...

I've noticed that, while most NSL schools exhibit a degree of variation in their forms, the differences are usually relatively minor. The greatest variation I've observed, however, seems to be in Lai Hung's forms. For example, he teaches a double front kick right in the beginning of Set #6. i've never seen another school do this, and in fact, in the NSL manual this move is not listed. His forms also seem to make use of a closed fist in places where the other schools use finger or open hand strikes. I once asked him if he changed the forms. He said that he did not.

I think there are a couple of possible reasons for the variation in Lai Hung's forms.

1) It seems that most of the NSL schoools around today, at least in the US, are through the Yim Shang Mo lineage. Perhaps Yim Shang Mo and Lung Chi-cheong learned the forms with these variations? Or changed the forms themselves? As many have already mentioned, Lung Chi-cheong learned Bak Hsing Choy Lay fut as well as Northern Shaolin. And I believe that Yim Shang Mo had studied other styles before becoming Ku Yu cheong's student.
2) Maybe Lai Hung did change the forms, but didn't want to say that he did -- or perhaps he can't consciously remember having changed them. As most NSL people know, Lai Hung studied with other masters besides Lung Chi-cheong. He learned choy lay fut from a couple of different teachers, and studied for several years with the famous master Yip Yu ting. Perhaps this other knowledge leaked into his NSL forms. Also, he was known as a full-contact fighter and he must have spent a great deal of time preparing for fights. Perhaps, again unconsciously, the techniques he mastered for competition puposes influenced the flavor of his forms.

Who knows, but it's interesting to speculate.

GeneChing
04-24-2002, 10:39 AM
BPK, you remind me of something.

Wing Lam has a book that he handcopied from YSM that we always jokingly called the 'secret' book. It has all the BSL form names which we translated together for his vidoe series. It also has a section on tips and such. Who else has this book and has anyone bothered to translate it? I've got the form names of course, but I don't think I have the rest, except in scattered notes. There was some real good stuff in there.

NorthernShaolin
04-25-2002, 12:00 AM
BPK,

Yim Shan Wu learned Lui Ho Chuan (which is very similar to NSL) from Wan Li Sheng before learning NSL from Kuo Yu Chang. Lung Tzu Hsiang learned NSL from KYC some 20 years later. After LTH almost completed his NSL he was traded as an exchange student with Tam Sam and learned North Wind Tsi'a Li Fut. Between YSW and LTH, there were slight differences but nothing really out out of pocket because their roots were NSL.

When YSW first arrived in HK, he had no place to teach but later discovered that LTH had a school in the area. Both taught together in one school but had separate students because they were teaching on different days. On one point, LTH had to leave the school on personal business for a long period of time and YSW took the duties of teaching both sessions. Two years had passed before LTH returned. He became very angry when he saw his student perform their sets because it was not the way he taught them. The students told him that YSW taught them and so LTH went to converse with YSW about the differences. After the discussion, LTH told his students that YSW taught them correctly and that it was he who taught in error. Thus, any gross deivations within the sets were corrected and thus NSL was standardized. But today one can observe that students of YSW have the purer flavor (Fluidness of NSL) while the students of LTH stresses the hardness (of the southern flavor) within NSL sets.

Now Li Hung first style is Tsi'a Li Fut before he learned NSL from LTH. When I first witnessed Li Hung's sets some 30 years ago,and notice the difference, I asked the older generation in NSL and they stated that because LH's roots are southern and without him realizing it, this influenced his NSL sets.

BPK
04-25-2002, 05:33 AM
Gene,

I posted a couple of notes to you privately. Did you receive them?

NorthernShaolin,

I had always understood that Lung Tzu Hsiang studied with Ku Ju-chang first, and that Yim Shang-mo came later. Is that not the case? Not that it matters, but I'm trying to get the chronology correct.

What do you know about Ku Ju-chang in his later years? He remained in China while LTH and YSM left. Did he retire form teaching? When did he pass away? Where is his final resting place?

YSM seemed to have been very active in spreading NSL throughout the world. I haven't read much about him, however. Can you provide a brief bio tracing his activities after he left China? I know he has students in the US and many in South America also.

GeneChing
04-25-2002, 10:57 AM
bpk - yes I got your pm's. thanks. it's better to get me at gene@kungfumagazine.com than my forum pm becuase i have to check that more frequently.

ns - do you know of the manual we are speaking of?

NorthernShaolin
04-25-2002, 10:12 PM
Gene,

I'm sure the manual that you are talking about must be YSW's personal manual which all masters had so that they can refer to it. The only manual that I have seen is the one written by LTH in the 1950's. This manual contain the names of the moves for the 10 NSL hand sets but did not contain any names for weapon techniques. LTH was an educated man and his manual is highly valued. He had one of his students who own a printshop make enough copies for everyone in the school. The left over copies were stacked in the corner of the school and was free for anyone to take.

Does YSW's manual contain names of moves for weapons and if so which weapons are they?

BPK,

YSW was 20 years older than LTH and he learned before LTH. This is another reason why LTH did his sets slightly different than YSW. KYC, like so many other great masters, was evolving the style. YSW left before LTH completed his studies with KYC.

Yes, KYC remained in China and before KYC retired from teaching in 1935 he sent LTH to Lien T'an Instructional Institute which was under the National Arts School. YSW already had his school in the T'ai Shan area. After helping many other masters, KYC left his government job in Canton, and went to the mountains called Chu Tao Shan and he was never heard from again until he passed away in 1952. He spend the remaining years of his life as a hermit and died a poor man with very few possessions from an overdose of opium. He was not shot nor was he killed by the CPR.

When the Japanese invaded China in 1937, LTH went to HK while YSW returned to his home in Nanking, Kwang Hsi to set up another school. He had 30 students but one by one they dropped out because of the war so he sold his farmland and worked for a convoy business of transporting bamboo and tea to Yunmen province. After WW II YSW left the escort job and went to Canton to teach in Central Park. It was here that he attracted many students. In 1957 he left Canton and went to HK to join LTH.

According to one of YSW's closest friend, he stated "YSW never advertised that he was KYC's disciple. He did not talk much and did not like to socialize. When LTH was alive, he would introduce YSW to many people but YSW felt out of place at social events."

Tai Chi Praying Master, Chao Chi Chow said, " YSW is a silent person but his kung fu is highly developed."

GeneChing
04-26-2002, 09:53 AM
But I can't remember which ones. Seems to me that it was most of them. I think there were even lyrics for the BSL bench set, one of the forms Wing Lam never learned.

I'll have to dig around and see if I can find our translations. Unfortunately I don't have the Chinese, just the translations, so you'll have that Wing Lam/Gene Ching interpretation. I'll post them when I find them, assuming I still have an electronic version.

diego
04-27-2002, 05:45 AM
By all accounts do you know if KYC, Was a religious man?, What you Wrote made me think, possibly the then current war got to him, so he became Recluse?, Sad & interesting History.

May i ask you another question on lions roar, here is a link to a indepth history, Do you have any history on any of these characters, such as sing lung or the wong bros, anything about thier students mentioned?, you would care to mention, Anything that would help me build a referance point in, documenting lr's oral history, into more then legend!

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/9358/book.html

NorthernShaolin
04-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Gene,

That will be great if you can find the electronic version. Most interesting about the lyrics. If it is too much to post you can always either fax or e-mail with attachments to me. I'm most interested in seening what you have.

Diego,
I do not know first hand if KYC was religious. From what was told to me and later validated by what I've read, he was tired of teaching and meeting challenges from the southerner who wanted to make a name for themselves. And this was after he helped so many other southern masters establish their schools and promote CMA in the area.

When I get a chance, I'll read what is on the web site but many times legend is all we have left and there is no possible way to validate one way or another. This is especially true when history goes back more than 100 years and there is no written documentation. Remember, all legends contain some truth.

diego
04-29-2002, 01:34 PM
Basically, how did they Spar?, like for the 1928 Nanjing Eliminations?, Do you have any accounts, how they prepped for the Events!. KFMAG did that Feature on Muslim kf'uist Wang ZiPing!. It had a Cool little Section like Half a Page, How He Trained for Four months, Preparing for a Fight. With I think a Russian Strongman?, SLT's Hsingyi Book has a Few Good Cccounts!.

I'm just Wondering, How did Masters of Late Ching Era- Early Communist; Spar!. From accounts, Did They Work similar to Professional Thaiboxers?.

Also, thats kind of Harsh, but Ironically Funny, about the Southerns and GRZ:cool:

GeneChing
04-30-2002, 11:15 AM
NS - I haven't had the chance to search for that file yet. I know I compressed it all into a single .doc file. It might be fun to post it all here bit by bit. But after I show you mine, you have to show me yours ;)

DG - My understanding about Nanjing is that it was basically no-holds-barred fighting on a lei tai, but I also heard that there were elimination rounds previous to these fights that involved forms. I always thought that was an interesting notion, echoing old fencing duels. Back in the day, you were also scored on form in fencing tournaments. I could imagine using forms as a criteria to judge skill and elimating the fighters who were just plain reckless. It makes a lot of sense in a form-driven martial art. You got to keep in mind that these old tournaments were nothing like ours today, no safety gear, no insurence, nothing like that. It was more like public duelling, more gladitorial, people got seriously hurt.

diego
04-30-2002, 11:43 AM
In HopGar Lineage they say WongYanLum moved to off the head i think canton and set up a leitai stage, then for the next three months challenged all takers, and defeated 150 men, making him the #1Canton TenTiger?, Now it never mentions who he beat, Did they bother with certian criteria like no eye shots?, and the basic assumption is to throw your opponent off the stage like sumo is my understanding" without humping your opponnent of/off? course;) "
That is Interseting the fencing correllation.
Any one have more storys, How did the old school monks scrap each other by all accounts before the temple was shut down?.

NorthernShaolin
04-30-2002, 11:55 AM
Gene,

It’s a deal!

Diego,

What SLT wrote in his book is what was taught to him and was true in the 1800’s where transportation of goods and people were very difficult. Appearance of clothes usually gave an idea where people came from and traveling long distance was in general, very rare for individuals.

Gene is right about the 1928 National Tournament. It was a no holds, all out fight. There were three rules: no eye gouging, strikes to the groin or spearing of the throat. No protection was to be worn and as a result many bones were broken and numerous noses busted open. Blood was everywhere. And individual’s reputations fell according.

Many highly respected masters had much to lose and gave reasons that they were too old to compete so they had their best disciple enter instead.

Most fighters, including KYC, stated before the match that they were going to use their best techniques within three to five moves. If their techniques did not work then their opponent was better than they were. In other words they were so confident in their abilities that they need no preparation as we known it today. These men were 100% martial artist and were trained fighters to begin with. This was a different time when CMA was a means of making a real living and their skills were constantly being tested. (We're talking about the 1920's here).

Interesting fact that as the fights progressed to the final few fighters, many of them changed their strategy and started to use quicker techniques. The majority of the final 13 used Hsing-I techniques instead of their main style to win their matches.

GeneChing
05-01-2002, 11:34 AM
NS - You are on!

This is what I got lyrics for:

LIN BO KIN. TOM TOY. EIGHTEEN TECHNIQUES. SHAOLIN #1-10. NINE-PROVINCE EYEBROW HEIGHT STAFF. DOWN CHOP, HANGING THRUST SINGLE BROADSWORD. DRAGON MOVEMENTS STRAIGHT SWORD. DOUBLE DAGGER. FIVE TIGERS CATCH THE LAMB STAFF. DRAGON HEAD CRUTCH. LIFTING-UP BLOCK, CROSSING-DOWN BLOCK SPEAR. SPRING AUTUMN LONG HANDLED KNIFE. SPINNING DOUBLE BROADSWORD ON THE GROUND. TWIN FLYING DRAGONS STRAIGHT SWORD. TIGER HEAD DOUBLE HOOKS. THREE-SECTION STAFF. SPINNING CHAIN WHIP THE GROUND.

What I plan to do is post them as new threads every once in a while. It may seem like a time consuming method, but my intentions are to increase a little traffic here on our shaolin forum and I think that each one might warrent some discussion. It will be really interesting if others can post their versions of lyrics. I hope you all join in!

beiquan
05-01-2002, 11:14 PM
great idea Gene! although i can't imagine these will be of much interest to anyone who doesn't know the sets, and since i think most of the BSL practitioners check this forum regularly, i can't see how it will increase traffic too much.

anyway, i will be waiting eagerly for your posts, since i have not had the opportunity to learn any of the "official" names of the moves. if i could only see them in chinese!

thanks again
bq

r.(shaolin)
05-02-2002, 06:40 AM
Hi Gene

Can you tell us a bit about the "EIGHTEEN TECHNIQUES"

GeneChing
05-02-2002, 10:14 AM
bq: I'm afriad I no longer have the Chinese.:( But I hope it will bring more BSLer's to this forum.

rs: Northern Shaolin and I were discussing the 18 earlier on this very thread. I posted our first set yesterday and will do another in a few mintues. The rest are coming - stay tuned!

beiquan
05-02-2002, 11:56 AM
you rock, Gene! kudos again, i'm excited to see all of this information being shared so freely. i only wish that i had something of my own to contribute, maybe in a few years...

r.(shaolin)
05-02-2002, 02:43 PM
ahh those 18 : - ))))
Is this form done like Tan tui,

Lokhopkuen
05-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Hi Bei Quan;
I believe a martial art does one of two things over time evolves or de-evolves. If the martial art is field tested in real life situations and emphasis is kept on maintaining the essence of the style as it was intended by the founder I expect it will evolve. Exponents of the most well known kung fu styles distinguished themselves in trials of combat. Some as dedicated and patriotic military men, some as body guards, some as prize fighters, some as prolific teachers who would take on any challenger. They understood the key moves from the essence forms and they were able to actualize them when needed.

De-evolution occurs when key moves in the essence forms are not truly understood by a teacher for what ever reason or perhaps the style is learned from a teacher who placed more emphasis on pure forms training with out consideration of how to actually apply the essence movements in a real life combat situation. Also consider the factor that different Northern Shaolin teachers learned from YSM and LCC at different points on the time line and at different stages in their teaching career. The insights YSM pass on to his earlier students surely differed from the profound insights of the later years of his life.

The important thing for us as modern practitioners is to develop a personal work ethic and habit of daily challenging practice preceded and followed by deep introspection and meditation on understanding the message the style has for your body and spirit. Slowly you will live the essence of the style as it was intended by the founder. Placing emphasis on the differences between the various branches of NSL only gives birth to divisionism and elitist attitudes. I prefer to focus on the fact that we are all practicing a rare and beautiful style and that makes us brothers on a level only another Northern Shaolin practitioner would truly understand.

Nice post BTW. :D

Lokhopkuen

>>>>i'm just curious what others here think of this issue. i've noticed that in general, every BSL school that i've observed does their forms slightly differently. however, within other systems of MA, there seems to be a bit more continuity -- especially among certain styles; for example i've seen lots of people perform Zhaquan #4 and it always looks almost exactly the same; however there are books and reference materials galore for this form. same with the Tiger/Crane set; although i see differences in emphasis between schools, the movements all look pretty consistent -- again, there are a number of printed materials and diagrams of this form. perhaps the fact that a form or style is documented has a kind of "standardizing" effect on the way that it is passed down within the tradition?

thanks,
beiquan

r.(shaolin)
05-02-2002, 06:44 PM
Most CMA's were born in the battle field.

Lokhopkuen
05-02-2002, 07:24 PM
I agree with you completely but this strays a bit from the point I was attempting to make. :cool: :cool:

Lokhopkuen

>r.(shaolin) Most CMA's were born in the battle field.
Prize fighting, brutal as it was and is, is not the same as combat.
The game is totally different as are the stakes.
r.

r.(shaolin)
05-02-2002, 07:39 PM
I think we are on the same page.

kind regards,
r.

GeneChing
05-03-2002, 10:11 AM
I posted my BSL tan tui lyrics yesterday (under a more cantonese spelling tom toy.) Perhaps we can take up a tan tui discussion there? There are so many version of tan tui.... 10's, 12's I even saw a 24...

As for the BSL 18, you're right, it's a lot like tan tuy, lines drills going back and forth.

And as for the being born on the batttlefield, while I agree with the general sentiment expressed, I would like to add that the battlefield is much bigger than most people realize. AIDS is a battlefield. Poverty and oppression are battlefields. There are so many battlefields that really need the attention of true martial artists - that's real life, not just a barroom brawl or street fight.

r.(shaolin)
05-03-2002, 03:55 PM
What changes in the forms ove

GeneChing
05-06-2002, 09:58 AM
Sure, there will always be an amount of surreality once you extract it from actual combat, and you must do this, because you must establish a safety zone to continue the lessons. Without that, most everyone on this forum would be dead already. Everyone draws there lines on what's real and what's not - it's a very interesting subject when you get in CMA since one of our greatest treasures is ancient weapons and we are so far away form cold steel combat nowadays that most of our practice (wushu irregardless) is obsolete. I mean really, how many of us have had the chance to try out any of these ancient weapons on the street? It's all imitation if we're not duelling with it and if memory serve, Govenor Reagan made duelling illegal in CA. I think tohe only place that might still have duelling on the lawbooks is LA...

kai men
03-28-2004, 09:14 AM
Hi fellows.
It is a long-time ago discussion, which I have rediscovered now, I apologyze for answering so late but I want to add something else.
I read Northernshaolin´s statement about the tiger claw in the 18 hand form.
I want to add that in Chan Kowk Wai´s 18 hand form , we also begin with the Tiger Claw ¿Could eventually YSM himself do the change?
Kind regards
horacio

NorthernShaolin
03-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Kaimen,

Tiger Claw verses spear hand.... YSW could have because I've seen earlier students, including my sifu, use spear hand instead if the Tiger Claw. His later students seem to use the Tiger Claw.

The row that we are talking about is:

'Golden Dragon Offers its Claws'

But one of my Sisuks made a statement:

"The 18 Hands of Shao lin set represents perhaps the essence of the total 10 BSL sets. Where in the 10 sets do we use a Tiger Claw?"

But what I really believe occured here was just one of the multi use of application of the technique and was taught as such. Instead of using a spear hand to the throat, one can easily claw the face. (In fact any of our willow palm techniques can convert to Tiger Claw.) Really it is a matter of preference of how one wants to use in application of the technique.