PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it is good or bad to train in more than one style?

xicaju
02-13-2001, 04:27 AM
Do you think it is good or bad to train in more than one style? Let's say Shaolin and Tai Chi...or Shaolin and wing chun? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Do any styles complement each other?

joedoe
02-13-2001, 04:32 AM
I think you should do whatever styles you want to do - especially if you think they work well for you. I'd just bear in mind that when you train a style, focus on that style.

I have met a guy who trained TKD and a Southern Shaolin style (I can't remember which one). He was an awesome fighter because he used the hand techniques of the kung fu style, and the kicks of TKD.

MASTERMAN
02-15-2001, 09:59 PM
My foundation system has been a good spring board to study other styles. I study styles that will expand my understanding of my own as well as compliment my personality.

I am a heavyweight my present goal is to work on Chi application to self defense techniques and warrior developement.

Peace,

Dave S :)

Sam
02-15-2001, 11:30 PM
Bull. All styles have unique concepts which usually take years to master. If you study different styles at a beginers level it will only lead to confussion. Don't be a Jack of all trades and master of none. Once you have spent years mastering one style then you may want to enhance yourself with another style. If your art is a striking art then you may want to study a grappling style to enhance your knowledge. Master one first then research. Try to initially study a style that meets all your wants and needs and believe me you wont have time or the inclination to study elsewhere. www.buddhapalm.com (http://www.buddhapalm.com)

[This message was edited by Sam on 02-16-01 at 01:38 PM.]

Brad
02-15-2001, 11:53 PM
I think it's ok to study more than one style as long as you pick one that you want to master. Kind of like in college having a major in one subject and a couple minors.