PDA

View Full Version : choy lay fut breathing

RAIN
03-12-2002, 12:07 AM
i see that in choy lay fut forms the stylist make a hard breathing like the " ha " sound . there is more differents types of breathing ?

GOLDEN ARMOR
03-12-2002, 08:02 AM
I got this from the Chan Family site, written by Sisuk Howard Choy. The following translation is from Chapter 134 of Chan Yiu-Chi's hand written manuscript, "The Source of Learning of Chan Heung Kung - the Originator of Choy Lee Fut".

1) Wag6 (Wak), representing the Tiger & is used in movements like Fu Jao (Tiger Claw), Seung Fu Jao (Double Tiger Claws), & Mang Fu Tuo Shan (Ferocious Tiger Pushing the Mountain)...

2) Dig1 (Dik), representing the Leopard & is used in kicking like the Da Geuk (Strike Kick), Fei Geuk (Flying Kick) & Tak Geuk (Kick Strike)...

3) Yig1 (Yik), representing the Dragon & is used in movements like Cheng Ngan Cheu (Strike to Eye), Seung Jian Cheu (Double Arrows Strike) & Seung Lung Chet Hai (Double Dragon Going Out to Sea)...

4) Hag3 (Hak), representing the Snake & is used in movements like Leu Yam Cheu (Strike to Groin), Yam Wad (Digging Up the Groin) & Kung Sum Cheu (Attacking Strike to the Heart)...

5) Hog6 (hok), representing the Crane & is used in movements like Hok Jeu (Crane's Beak) & Ding Jeu (Nail Strike)...

The number at the end of each sound refers to the 6 tones in Cantonese adopted by the dictionary published by the Hua-nam (Southern China) Normal University in Guangzhou.

It's interesting to note that in this manuscript intended for the eyes of the family only, there are 5 sounds instead of 3 commonly known ones & Chan Yiu-Chi did not refer the sounds to any revolutionary codes or practice but only to represent the 5 Animals or the Wuxing, the 5 Agents of Transformation in Chinese Philosophy.

The sounds are also related to Yin/Yang breathing because the 5 Animals have a correlation to the 5 Elements (Wuxing), which in turn, has its root in the complementary opposite forces of Nature. They are correlated in a cyclical manner: Yin/Yang = 5 Elements = 5 Animals = 5 SOUNDS = 5 Animals = 5 Elements = Yin/Yang

In short, the sounds that we make, the movements that we do & the intentions that we express are all related to each other.

Written by Sisuk Howard Choy

tomcat
03-12-2002, 09:31 AM
Hi everyone,
FYI the sounds you refer to are the same for Hung-gar, except for Hok , we use a whoop sound .
as you said they are tied to the 5 animal and elements and are said the vibrate certain organs in the body ,raising chi levels, and regulating chi flo inthe meridians, and aiding to expell toxins .
:)

yutyeesam
03-12-2002, 11:15 AM
Why do LKH/TMW folks say "SIK" during tsop and other folks go "YIK"? I know it doesn't matter at all, but just curious.

Jamesbond_007
03-12-2002, 11:19 AM
I may be wrong but I was told that the "sik" sound was used when you executed a killing strike.

So I take it from the article that the ha sound is not really a CLF sound?

Fu-Pow
03-12-2002, 03:24 PM
"ha" = hak?

JAZA
03-12-2002, 09:36 PM
sik, yik I think that are the same but there is alot of cantonese dialects and the same sounds different is your sifu is from one place or another. I have read some terms and after heard of cantonese man and sounds different from what I imagined.
I think we must take a chinese language course someday:)

Galadriel
03-13-2002, 04:57 AM
We use sik when we do a single chop choy in forms, when we do a series of chop choys we shout sik, yik, sik, yik, sik, yik, and the same if there are two chop choys following each other in a form.

And when we're in horse stance and turn to the left (or right) we shout yik

Galadriel

RAIN
03-13-2002, 11:09 AM
i'd was speaking of the hard breathing types of choy lay fut when you execute your techniques , not the choy lay fut's sounds .