PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about competing

red5angel
03-12-2002, 08:29 AM
I am thinking about trying to go to open tourneys to compete with my WC. I want to use my traditional fighting style, however I will be training some ground fighting. Actually I will be trianing to get out of ground fighting.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyhone here just do local tourneys? how hard do you train, how much, etc.....

shaolinboxer
03-12-2002, 08:53 AM
Why not give san shou a try?

You can use any striking style, and since your main focus re: ground fighting is not to go down, dealing with the throws would be good for you.

There are some hard fighters out there. Good luck!

Merryprankster
03-12-2002, 08:57 AM
Do it. The worst that will happen is, you will lose. So what?

red5angel
03-12-2002, 09:23 AM
I agree MP!

Hmmm Sanshou, might have to see what they have here in the midwest!

Tae Li
03-12-2002, 07:07 PM
Im competeing in Korea in April.... cant be bothered getting sponsored so now i have to figure out a way to fork out the plane ticket...

Tae Li;)

red5angel
03-13-2002, 07:15 AM
Ouch, well good luck Tae Li.
Thats why I am staying local, or atleast just here in the states.

Badger
03-13-2002, 08:54 AM
I suggest if you want to fight groundfighters you need to train/spar with some.
Find a training buddy who is a wrestler/BJJ/Judo guy & spar.
Wear gloves,use control,you both do what you do best & learn from your mistakes.
Do NOT go into the ring without the proper training & experience.

Badger

Mutant
03-13-2002, 10:43 AM
I think its valuable experience, win or lose, for any martial artist.

I think there might be an annual san shou tournament in Ohio actually, maybe in Cleveland? And I've come to realize that there are a lot more MMA fights around than I though, you just generally don't hear about them unless your into that sport, ask Brad Souders about it or go to that MMA underground formum and research.

Cross train with as many people as you can, against kickers, boxers, grapplers, who ever you can find for constructive training.
Good luck and have fun with it!