PDA

View Full Version : Is fighting really just confidence??

Grappling-Insanity
03-12-2002, 08:55 AM
Yesterday when i was with my friend (6"2' 185) he burnt my arm with a lighter and I kinda freaked out. I had him taken down in 2 secs and had allready gave him like 6 nice body shots (not gonna punch out my friend). The thing is i'm like 120lbs, but then I have a friend who is like 140 who can just utterly dominate me.

So does the old saying "Its not the size of the dog, but the size of the fight in the dog" hold true?

Also at the weight of 120 i've never lost a street fight. Even with as many as 3 attackers. So i'm starting to think confidence is the key. I never hesitate when a fight starts, dont think that makes me a fight starter. I only got into street fights in self-defence (high school).

Ryu
03-12-2002, 09:00 AM
Depends.
Confidence and non-hesitation sure is a key though! Obviously if you bring more than the other guy the fight will usually be in your favor.
But you need to back up that confidence too. And you've also got to accept that there's guys out there you just can't beat with your hands alone. Imagine someone with the same personality to fighting as you, but is 200 pound heavier? Of muscle?

Some guys you just shoot :p

Ryu

Grappling-Insanity
03-12-2002, 09:04 AM
"Some guys you just shoot"

Aint that the truth, the best situation for the crazy 200 lber is to take your shots and run for your boyz...

norther practitioner
03-12-2002, 09:07 AM
technique, power, etc. also play in. But to apply said techniques with power you usually can't hesitate, and to not hesitate takes confidance, so it is def. one of the building blocks, but someone could have all the confidance in the world, and get knocked out because there techniques suck.

red5angel
03-12-2002, 10:34 AM
I would say confidence definitely plays a big part in any confrontation. In ancient, very ancient times, it was common for armies to meet on the battlefield and use a show of force to win, no fighting involved because fighting got people killed!
I think this applies to streetfighting. Most people dont like pain and dont want to get hit. If you are confident enough, and not afraid to get hit, you have a big advantage over someone who does not!

Sharky
03-12-2002, 10:40 AM
confidence, aggressiveness [sp?] and front.

and the person who strikes first.

respectmankind
03-12-2002, 06:27 PM
you could just win every fight you get in with a throat shot. that would work. meh, i thought not. I think the mind set is the biggest part. but then again, it is useless without a body that is equip to use the mindsetting.

Ray Pina
03-13-2002, 08:45 AM
First and foremost, size matters! Anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell you something are is talking out of there a$$.

But, with that said, good technique can make up for a lot. As a martial artists you should be able to fight someone 50 lbs hevaier -- minimum. When your skill increases, so will the ability to raise that bar, to 60, 70 lbs. 100 lbs difference is a lot. Be carfeul. Hit in ways where you can't be hit. I know that sounds contradictory, that a taler guy can't reach the shorter gut, but there are ways. Think of interesting lines.

With that adressed. I new tons of big guys growing up who were just big pu$$ies. No fight. No bark even. They were what we call "mamma's boys."

The toughets kid I knew growing up was a little Philipino kid, only about 5'6 and 140 lbs, probbaly less. But he was a demon. I wonder where he is today?

There is something to be said for toughness and streatsmarts. For fighting experince. But, two well trained guys, the larhger has a huge advantage.

Try playing someone as good as you in chess without your queen. Hard time. You'll most likley loose unless they do somthing rash, stupid. Now play someone with a low ranking wihtout your queen, doesn't matter. You can beta them with rooks and bishops.

Also find and maintain an advantage. If its not size, as it often will be if soemone is starting with you, it better be technique.

Peace

PS Your friend isn't a friend if he's burning you with a lighter. That's not fun, or cute, its disrespectful.

Kristoffer
03-13-2002, 11:45 AM
I'd Kill him then set him on fire with the same lighter.