PDA

View Full Version : a quick conditioning question

red5angel
03-12-2002, 03:11 PM
I want to start toughening my shins and forearms. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to BEGIN? I am obviously not going to go out and just start kicking rocks and trees. My shins are extremely sensitive!
I have heard something about a rolling bottle.......

ewallace
03-12-2002, 03:13 PM
Heavy bag would be a good place to start.

Ford Prefect
03-12-2002, 03:13 PM
A heavy bag would be as good a place to start as any.

red5angel
03-12-2002, 03:21 PM
I thought as much! I was going to start doing that tonight. Just wack away on it. any suggestion for reps? also, what next?

yenhoi
03-12-2002, 03:21 PM
Ive read (on this website I think) about filling coke bottles with sand and rolling them up and down your shins.

Dunno. Kick a heavy canvas bag would be where I'd start.

Merryprankster
03-12-2002, 03:25 PM
There's no real "next." Just keep doing it.

Old heavy bags do tend to settle, however, so the bottoms are usually very hard.

ewallace
03-12-2002, 03:26 PM
Next you might want to take a light stick (like a broomstick) and start tapping your shins with it. Maybe five minutes or so on each side to begin with. Go easy with the force in the beginning too.

I thought I heard something about a rolling pin but I'm not sure.

ewallace
03-12-2002, 03:28 PM
MP is right. I used to kick the crap out of the bottom of my 50lb bag. Those are good too because the bottom hangs at a good height for powerful kicks.

TaoBoy
03-12-2002, 04:53 PM
Now, I know some Muay Thai fighters are nuts for shin conditioning - but I never understood it. Can someone explain how you can condition bone? I can understand arm conditioning but shins? I'm not having a go here. I've seen the devasting kicks of Muay Thai. Just after an explaination. Does it work in the same way as arm condition? Just repetition improving the area?

Cheers.

Merryprankster
03-12-2002, 05:24 PM
In a nutshell, yes.

Arhat of Fury
03-12-2002, 05:32 PM
Do your roundhouse kicks on a bag with emphasis on the shin making contact. Also, using a rolling pin, remember there are 3 points of conditioning for your shins, when you begin to feel around you will feel the 3 parts. Roll them every morning and every night.

Consitency is the actual key.

Good luck,

Amitoufu,

AOF