PDA

View Full Version : hengxin info wanted :)

respectred
03-12-2002, 03:29 PM
hi there
does anybody have any information about sifu hengxin? i've read tons and tons of posts on tons and tons of message boards but my head exploded when i tried to put all the information together.
first off, i know that he went out on his own like half a year ago, and i also heard that he's teaching somewhere around lafayette, but what i need to know is how much the classes cost? i've read on russbo that they're $20/hour (maybe that was for the beginning? is there a monthly fee that could be paid instead of hourly?), but that seems a bit steep so i didn't know if that was credible information or not. also, anybody here train w/ him? what are the classes like? does he break down forms and go over applications and whatnot?
well, i can't think clearly right now b/c i just did too much reading about goulin and hengxin on a million msg boards, so i prob am missing something here...but any and all information anybody has on him is welcome!
thanks in advance!!

-matt

Ted
03-15-2002, 05:16 AM
I'm not sure how current that info is anymore. I'm going into chinatown on sunday so I'll see if I can get some new info.

Ted

respectred
03-15-2002, 01:45 PM
ah cool thanks a lot :)

i'd do it myself (b/c i go in 3 times a week right near chinatown for kung fu) but i live out on long island so i only have enough time usually to get there and get back to penn station, and if i took any longer i'd miss my train :(.

-matt

MrNine
03-22-2002, 04:32 PM
Matt -
You should contact the school at 917.842.2688. They will be the only ones able to answer all of your questions about the cost. As for the training, I am sure the school would welcome you to take an introductory class to check it out for yourself. That is, after all, the only way that you can tell if the training is right for you.

Where do you currently train?

respectred
03-22-2002, 10:46 PM
yeah, you're right, calling is probably the best bet. anyways, i'm not planning on switching schools or anything, i just wanted to check a class out, just like i wanna check one out at goulins as well, just to see how they differ from mine, in terms of how many people, forms, drills, blah blah, just curious really :)

i currently train with shi xing peng, and of course plan on staying w/ him.

MrNine
05-21-2002, 08:17 AM
Hi all -
Check this out - Master Hengxin's website. It has basic information about the school and about Master Hengxin and the other instructors. Looks like a good start. Needs more pictures, though ;). Here is the site info:

www.shaolinkungfutrainingcenter.com

Ted
05-22-2002, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the info MrNine. Do you study with Hengxin Shifu? I used to study with him at the flushing temple. He's awesome, and a real nice guy. One of these days I'm gonna get there to see him.

Ted

mortal
05-22-2002, 11:26 AM
I train with Sifu Hengxin for just under a year. Class size is small(under 30 people). He gives everyone attention. Many times he will do the form right along side you. He is very open with training. You could ask him anything. He just walks around doing spectacular kung fu all over the place. The training is as hard as I've experienced.
He is more traditional in his teaching. He stresses the difference between wusu and traditinal. The differences are small from what I could see. Lately he has us doing countless tornado kicks. The class is non stop for an hour and a half.
New people tryed a class the other night and quit during warm up.
He has a female student under him who is very, very good also who helps teach. I am usually there on friday night at 6:00pm. Hope to see you.

Anthony

Ted
05-22-2002, 11:56 AM
Mortal - Did you train with him in flushing or did you start after he started his own school? I'm very happy to hear he has such a good turn out with his classes. He's amazing and it won't be long before his school grows. I would like to come and take his class but because of the distance from my house I dont know how serious and regular I can be. Do you know how much hes charging? Is he still charging by the class? Do you know if there is parking available? What forms is he teaching?

Good luck with your training and maybe I'll see you there sometime.

Ted

mortal
05-22-2002, 12:51 PM
Ted

I started when he got his own school. Yes there is parking after 6:00pm right in front of the place. I drive in from brooklyn.
Since I have been with him I learned the 5 stance form, Continous fist and penetrating fist. I learned small red fist at my old school, but they say I will start that soon.
Its 20 dollars a class or 180 a month. I go once a week. I couldn't afford more at this time. Come by. His school is really growing. What forms do you know?

Amitabha Anthony

Ted
05-22-2002, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to hear theres parking. Maybe I'll go to the sunday class one of these days? Is there parking on sundays? I started training in flushing a few years ago but havent been there in a month or so. As for forms, I learned the forms you've mentioned and a few others like da hong, seven stars fist, tong bei, staff, and sword. We also have been doing a lot of "shaolin steps" which are really cool.I really love training at the temple but its just not the same without Hengxins energy. Maybe I'll see ya there someday.

Didn't you used to train with Yan ming?

Amituofu

mortal
05-23-2002, 10:10 PM
I trained with Yan ming for 3 years but I left do to what I felt was a lack of recognition. The classes wil give a good base. I needed more personalized instruction.

Heng Xin and Arlene are good kung fu people. I like how he will take turns doing kicks and stuff with you. That motivates me to show spirit. First class is free.
I know Dahong quan also. I would love to compare them.
Are you in brooklyn?
Sunday is the easiest day to park .

Amthony

Ted
05-24-2002, 07:12 AM
No I'm from out of state. Did you learn Da hong from Hengxin? If so there most likely the same. I learned all my forms from hengxin shifu except for tong bi, and sword. Do you only goto class on thursdays? I think the only class I'll be able to get to is sunday @ 11. Hengxins great at getting his students motivated and also having fun with them at the same time. Hengxin's spirit is one of his greatest assets I believe.

mortal
05-24-2002, 10:26 AM
I usually train friday nights. Sometimes on sunday. The sunday classes are harder. I usually go out on saturday night.
I did learn Da hong from Yan ming. Tong bei is very similar also. You learned the straight sword from Goulin? That is my favorite weapon that I never learned. Maybe one day. I told Hengxin I wanted to learn that and he just smirked at me......
I would love to get a group of people together to maybe train and camp upstate. What do you think?

MrNine
06-13-2002, 07:17 PM
Shifu Hengxin is holding a summer seminar teaching traditional Seven-Star Fist! They are going to limit enrollment to make sure everyone gets personalized attention. Check it out...

http://www.shaolinkungfutrainingcenter.com
http://www.shaolinkungfutrainingcenter.com/seminar.htm

Gene -
I saw in your Shaolin vs. BSL article that this form is one of the 10 Songshan Shaolin Empty hand sets. What does this mean exactly? Do you have any other information or resources where I can find out more? Videos, perhaps? I'd love to find out more before taking the class.