PDA

View Full Version : wong fei hung hung mun connection

doug maverick
02-15-2001, 09:34 PM
i read on hungkeun.net that wong fei hung belong to the anti-chin/triad group known as hung mun has anyone else heard of this

Lucky Red
02-16-2001, 03:32 AM
I am really Not sure but i think that i heard this That hung Mun (flooding Something isnt it)
was in a Different time than Wong fei Hung
and that he was not Connected to them
if youre wondering about why it is Hung in Both names they are not the same Charecthers no

relationship one means proud (wong fei hung)
and the other means overflowing or flooding something there is a thread somewhere on this
Board if it has not been Deleted beacause it is too old

This is what i Think i do not know

the Hardest Fight is the the one With yourself

Paul Skrypichayko
02-16-2001, 11:23 AM
Hung mun has been around for at least 160 years, maybe longer. It's the Chinese Freemasons, and most large cities around the world have a branch. Like the Freemasons in the west, it's a social and political club that has supported liberal politics in the past, and sometimes revolutionaries.

I wouldnt be surprised if Wong Fei Hung was a member, but I haven't heard anything either way from any masters about it.

Pakmei
02-19-2001, 01:19 PM
Hung Mun, was one of the original names for what we call Triads now. I believe they were originally called White Lotus Society, then called themselves Hung Mun (Red Door) then later evolved into the various branches of gangs that exist today..."14K, Wo Shing Wo, etc"
Most of the old Kung Fu Sifu, had Triad connections somewhere, mainly because they were so sort after because of their reputations as fighters and social standing in the community.
Wong Fei Hong, was deemed as one of the 10 tigers of Canton, and one his disciples "Fat Po" I believe his name was, was most definitely one of the local Traid bosses for his district.

Dave Stevens

KJoker
02-21-2001, 05:40 PM
hung mun....I heard that before. Anyone saw that video with Jet Li... The New Legend Of Shaolin?
Jet Li played as Hung Xi Guan.

Hung Xi Guan's weapon was a metal spear and he has a son, Man Ting. And the kid got into a fight with Jet Li's employer's son. The son and his buddies told Man Ting that if he could beat them they will accept him as their brother and get to create his own kung fu school and then Man Ting said Hung Mun.

I have no idea if I'm making sense or not :p he he

But anyway I'm not surprised if Wong Fei Hung is related. I'm also not surprised if Fong Sai Yuk or Hung Xi Guan are also involved. All of these kungfu movies Once Upon A Time in China (1-5), Fong Sai Yuk (1-3), The New Legend of Shaolin are somewhat related.

"Welcome to my room. When will you be leaving?" -- Garfield
"Don't worry. Be stupid!" -- Odie

South Paw
02-21-2001, 09:11 PM
Hung Mun is a common name for the Chinese Secret Societies. They stood for social justice and against corruption and arbitrariness.

The southern secret societies are commonly known as triads. The stories of there beginnings are closely connected to the legends of the southern Shaolin Temple in Fujian. Some of these legends are incorporated in there ceremonies of initiation.

In the early twenties of the last century there goals became more an more criminal.

The word Triad is of british origin, which referred to there symbols: Heaven, Earth and Man.

South Paw

South Paw
02-21-2001, 09:31 PM
Dave stated: "Most of the old Kung Fu Sifu, had Triad connections somewhere..."

In the article 'Spirit Boxing in Hong Kong' of Daniel Miles Amos and Ma Kai Sun in Journal of Asian Martial Arts, Volume 8, Number 4, 1999, it reads:

"...33.65 per cent of the 419 private martial arts associations in Hong Kong were associated with criminal gangs..."

continuing later:
"I believe that only 40% of the gongfu associations are free of the Triad".

(Statements of the seventies)

South Paw

02-22-2001, 02:44 AM
Hi, as far as Hung Ga's affiliation with the triad, Ma Ling Yee and his lineage has more to do with triad assasins than Wong Fai Hung's lineage. Ma Ling Yee and Wong Fai Hung's father,Wong Kai Ying had the same sifu. Ma Ling Yee was considered a "renegade monk who left the monastery in anger" (hey I'm quoting someone else)Anyway...Yee had his own trained assasins who were for hire that the Secret Societies used as well as training troops for the Boxer Rebellion. I have recommended this book before somewhere try reading The Soong Dynasty by Seagrave, if you want some interesting information on the formation of the Secret Socieies in China. Easy read too, for a history book. ;)

Cease to do evil & learn to do right,persue justice & champion the oppressed.....IS 1:17