PDA

View Full Version : Meditation Rescources?

Ford Prefect
03-13-2002, 07:35 AM
Anyone know of any good books or videos on meditation?

Also if anybody could recommend a good book by Krishnamurti to start with, that be great too. I just read excerpts from some of his work and am interested in reading more of his material. Thanks!

Scott R. Brown
03-14-2002, 03:13 PM
Ford,

Try "Journey of Awakening: A Meditator's Handbook" by Ram Dass. It can be purchased from Amazon.com for $7.50. It is an excellent book listing a number forms of mediation and addresses the benefits of each. It is the best book on meditation I have ever come across in nearly 30 years of study. I recommend it to everyone who asks me for a good book on meditaiton. I actually use a number of methods of mediation myself depending on my state of mind and what I want to accomplish at the time so don't feel like you need to choose only one method of meditation.

I could not recommend any one work of Krishnamurti's. They all basically say the same thing. Try "Think on these Things" or "Total Freedom : The Essential Krishnamurti ". Once you have read a couple of his books you will not likely find anything new in the others. He does not really present any original ideas. Not that that is a bad thing, since all writings on truth say basically the same thing expressed through each author's unique understanding and experiences. If you like his writings just start with one book and read until you get the gist of his thought. I read 5-10 of his books over 25 years ago and I really benefited from them at the time, but I have never felt the need to re-read any of his works as I have other authors.

Good luck with both these authors.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
04-03-2002, 10:56 AM
I am currently reading a book entitled, "Warriors of Stillness" by Jan Diesperloot. I would recommend this book for everyone to read.

Damian