PDA

View Full Version : Hsing-I/Bagua

BDKF
03-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Hi,
Does anyone know of any Hsing-I or Bagwa schools in the Greensboro/High Point area. Possibly anyone that teaches it privately or in a "garage" setting? I have found a school that says they teach it, but the instructor is a 10th degree "black belt" and that kind of set off alarm bells. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mojo
03-13-2002, 01:18 PM
BDKF
If you'll give us the name of this instructor we can probably tell you if he is well known, good or bad.

BDKF
03-14-2002, 06:27 AM
The instructors are Mr. Derek Prout - 4th degree black belt and Professor David Kash - 10th degree black belt. The website for the school is http://www.dokungfu.com/tkaa/instructors.html

xiong
03-14-2002, 06:57 AM
I think you would be wise to view a class. Aside from the actual training try to get an idea of the costs of training there, belt promotion fees, contracts etc.

I think that, on the surface, these gentlemen present some names I am familiar with and are trying to display their dedication to CMA by listing their awards. I don't know anything about the organizations giving them the recognition but you have to decide for yourself if they are worth the paper they are printed on.

As far as the Blackbelt thing goes, I discussed this with my Shifu last night. He said that when he came to the US people would always ask him what his rank was. He didn't know because he had trained in Wushu since he was a kid, 11 years old I think, and they didn't use belt ranking.

Trying to set yourself up as an instructor without some kind of certificate of approval from a recognized group can be daunting.

My experience with Chin Woo in another state is that it is a very professionally run buisness. You have to decide if that business feel is right for you. Good luck and trust your own judgement, if it feels like a scam it probably is a scam.

Ray Pina
03-14-2002, 01:26 PM
Funny, I write for a flooring magazine. The industry has a huge pressence in your area. I don't know about Ba Gua, but I could send you to a few places for carpet.;)

brassmonkey
03-15-2002, 01:50 AM
This school is not associated with Chin Woo except in name, perhaps you should call a real Chin Woo branch and get theyre opinion.

Daniel Madar
03-15-2002, 02:00 AM
Post on the main forum looking for Royal Dragon, I think he can go on and on about these guys.@@Cant remember if its for good or bad.

In my own personal opinion, the claims that some Emperor longfist practitioners make about their ties to all three internal styles seem easily debunked..

That being said, Ive never seen them.

I do have a really hot female friend who lives in that area, but I cant really intro you.

Evolution fist, let me get this straight... You work for a flooring magazine?@@Like you write about tile and hardwood, etc? That is so bizarre, it actually sounds kind of cool. Exactly how did you get involved in that?