PDA

View Full Version : Screwed

Ray Pina
03-13-2002, 11:15 AM
I am being assasinated by office politics.

My boss is being manipulated by a young female coworker who is ****ed that I got the higher position/salary. We were hired the same day and she has her masters -- I don't.

Regardless, she's the type to huff and puff when by the copy of fax machine: "O, I'm so busy, have so much to do."

Me, I do what I have to do ... and then come here.

I don't get lunch with everyone like she does and I know she purpetrates rumors about me, or even half truths.

"I saw Ray playing chess online."

Yup! I also had my work in a week ago, as well as next weeks article. We're here late waiting for yours, you missed deadline again Bi ... won't even go there.

So what can a guy do. My boss is to old and bold to notice or care that he's being manipulated. He called me in recently. Talked about my performance. I mentioned it odd that I write all these extra news stories and get sent to Baltimore for conventions while she goes to Cancun to cover something.

His response: The perception is that she does more work. And perceptions are the truth.

I know a fat girl who perceives she can wear a bikini -- she shouldn't. And if she does her perception doesn't make it any more enjoyable to look at.

I actually know there is nothing I can do. I am just focused on handing the best articles I can on time. I'm also holding on to my last review which said I was A OK, a model employee and given a raise. That was 6 months ago.

Something else I will do is go back and tally up all my By Lines, so I can show who has actually contributed what and bring this to the attention of my publisher, my boss, a fellow Cuban and black belt. He stayes out of the mix but has ears too.

I hate politics! I don't get involved. I was hoping this girl would hang herself with her mouth. But people here are too stupid to realize if she talks about me, she talks about them too. Which she does. But she's good, I'll give her that.

My only peace, I know I'll be a published author someday, and she'll be a two bit housewife, old and fat, looking forward to friday night so she can go home and have some drinks until monday morning.

I also hope fighting and martial arts can releive me of this trugery someday. Until then I'm sticking it out until my book is done (should be by Fall) and then I need to get out of here. I've never been involved with immaturity like this, everybody up in everybody's business. Sad. People need hobbies ... or friends.

gazza99
03-13-2002, 11:43 AM
I find a well placed micro cassette recorder comes in REALLY handy in these situations. Get her to run at the mouth, either in fun, or **** her off, then kindly and annonymously send copies of the tape to everyone whom she mentions!!
Or just hire a pimp to come to the office and smack her down for not giving him his cut in time.

Good luck,
Gary

Justa Man
03-13-2002, 12:40 PM
office politics are soooo fun aren't they? it's great when higher-ups are oblivious to what's really going on, and you catch wreck for stuff you shouldn't be. i left my office job of 6 years, and now work in a supermarket and it's all the same. politics are everywhere i guess. just don't get caught on the web as much. from your review, you sound like you handle yours. just give her less to moan about.

Cody
03-13-2002, 12:50 PM
You are doing this job to support yourself so you can publish and do what makes you feel good. It's not meant to be a long-term project, this job. You've made that clear.

So, the heck with what she says, or with thinking about her lousy future. There are people, nice or full of it, who seem to land on their feet all the time. Unless your livelihood is immediately threatened, tend to your own paws and landing ability. I mean, if she told a lie and really hurt you professionally or personally or legally, well, go for it. But, this seems relatively unimportant, except in terms of getting you to think of how to either stay below radar and get what you want, or scale higher in order to achieve in a "political" setting. You might start thinking about backup plans for financial security elsewhere just in case it takes more time for your writing career to pay off.

As you're already aware, keep records evaluations, raises, and what you do, even as a short daily diary. File it with boss before evaluation time. That will take care of the perception problem, and protect your interests. If you are the sort to work very quietly and quickly, this will serve to toot your horn in a way that should not be disagreeable to you. I would advise that you lay off from talking about the co-worker. You're just fueling something that way.

Co-worker is part of the "herd" and they're getting something out of it, each in their own way. It's not always a matter of who gets the job done or done better; sometimes the minimum requirements for it are enough if the employee is giving people something they want, like relief from the boredom of their lives or a little flirt or whatever. whatever produces that sort of popularity. Oh, re the fat girl in the bikini. Some men like very large women. The eye of the beholder, my friend. Office situations like this make it difficult for someone who is on the outside looking in, cause it makes for a push-me pull-me sort of thing. Like wouldn't it be nice to be part of the group, but then, why would I want to be into everyone's business and so on? Final answer. Ignore it and do what is required to hold your job, and/or start looking for something else without letting on that you're doing so.

best of luck with your book,
Cody

Nexus
03-13-2002, 01:36 PM
Just stick to principles and you'll be fine. Integrity, honesty, hard work, they are things you can trust in and put faith in. It's difficult to do so when around us we see people getting ahead by cheating, undermining, gossiping, lying and so forth, but what we don't often see is the fallout those people suffer in the way they view themselves and their own personal self-worth.]

You sound committed and hard working, and there is something to be proud of in that. When it comes down to it, it's not how much you accomplished over XXX period of time but how you accomplished it. Did you work hard, enjoy your work, maintain integrity, find a balance in your life, etc.

You get the idea.

- Nexus

hkphooey
03-13-2002, 02:15 PM
EvolutionFist

have you ever met Tyler Durden???

=)

fa_jing
03-13-2002, 02:34 PM
Can I tell you something? You post too d.amn much. You are one of the biggest, longest writing posters in here, over the last few months. Your stuff is great, actually, I appreciate it and I'm sure others do, but appearances are important! Hey, I do a great f-in job, I've saved the client at least a million bucks, but I don't play the office game and guess what, people in my group get paid the same and treated better because they are lookin' busy. In our case, as a consulting firm, lookin' busy is key. Even if my status report crushes, it all gets consolidated by the boss (a shameless lazy fuk) and I don't get the recognition. So I'm piszed too, but you've got to recognize the game, no? In my case it's an uncontrollable urge to goof off when things aren't busy. I could be studying and taking certification tests that I don't really need that would earn me more brownie points.
I could spend my time gabbing on the phone and chatting people up and earn more brownie points. What I will do, in fact is develop my technical skills to such a degree that I can go to a chiller environment, probably a software co. where people wear hawaiin shirts and I get paid for what I do, not office politics. Likewise, you will eventually get paid by piece before too long. Just keep at it and like I said, recognize the game. Make yourself indispensable, so that personality conflicts don't matter as much. That's what I do, and try to let s-hit slide.

peace
-FJ

Ray Pina
03-13-2002, 02:59 PM
I hear ya, and I know you are right.
But at the same time, I became a writer to avoid that type of crap, having to sell myself before another human being or push a product.

My work could be better. Who's couldn't. At the same time I edit the magazine and I see the crap we publish. My stuff is on par, actually above par. I also have more By LInes then most, certainly this girl giving me hell.

I'm just tightening things up for a few months, maybe 6 or seven and then I'll move on. I never had to play these games and I resist them with vengence. I'm the type that says, if you get your work done, who cares. They notice who's online, who leaves for lunch before noon (like a man can't eat when he's hungry).

I could just as easily point out who takes 15 minutes cigeratte breaks every hour on the hour, who comes in 20 minutes late, who's doing outside work, ect. But I don't care. Not my business.

I'm holding my cards tight to the chest. When this blows over ina few weaks I will reqiest a meeting with my bosses. Bring the facts, not perceptions. I will bring the last 6 months of articles and the stats of who wrote what. I am confident I will come out looking good. In passing mention perceptions, and how I could perceive that I am actually doing months worth of work in that hour or two people spend outside smoking when its multiplied by a year. In fact, maybe I deserve a vaction.

bamboo_ leaf
03-13-2002, 05:28 PM
EvolutionFist,

For what it’s worth I think you write well, also I would say you seem to have a clear idea of what you want, the drive / talent that will get you there.

But the most important thing is that you expressed is having a passion for what you like.

I feel this is very important in a person’s life and will see you through all that life throws at you. It’s one of the things that separate people from those that are alive in life and those that live life. Most Ma’s that I have met really live life.

Luck in your journey

Xebsball
03-13-2002, 09:39 PM
Make a favor to the human race
cut her throat

STUDD WILSON
03-19-2002, 10:52 AM
What you need to do is become her best friend. Suck up to her until she begins to really trust you. Then put the moves on her and nail her!!!!!!!!!!! Then when the rumors start going around about you two - deny it! That really throws them for a loop!!!!

dfedorko@mindspring.com
03-19-2002, 01:54 PM
Keep the faith my MA Brother and remember, "What Goes Around Comes Around". From your email you know the rest.

Damian

Ray Pina
03-20-2002, 03:01 PM
Thanks everyone. Babmoo Leaf, your words mean a lot to me. I know that you have a lot of knowledge in the area I am now just becoming comfortable in. The internal is amazing.

Well, thanks for listening and thanks for the kind words.