PDA

View Full Version : Meditation Rescources?

Ford Prefect
03-13-2002, 07:35 AM
Anyone know of any good books or videos on meditation?

Also if anybody could recommend a good book by Krishnamurti to start with, that be great too. I just read excerpts from some of his work and am interested in reading more of his material. Thanks!

Justa Man
03-13-2002, 01:43 PM
Krishnamurti - Freedom From the Known. i was second guessing everything I've ever learned after readng that. quite interesting.
don't know any meditation books though.

Nexus
03-13-2002, 01:51 PM
Meditation is for the most part an internal exercise. That being, a video on meditation unless it was a moving meditation or a sound induced meditation would essentially be a person sitting or standing in a single position.

www.touchoftao.com sells a chi kung (seated moving meditation) video which is a great place to start. I have the video myself, and it is simple and easy to follow.

There are others out there, start off with something simple and work towards more advanced and concentrated ideas. Simply sitting and breathing to a focussed point in the body such as the heart, the third eye, the lower dantien (lower abdomen) can help internalize the meditation and look inward on the self.

Best of luck!

David Jamieson
03-13-2002, 01:53 PM
http://www.erowid.org/library/books/posture_of.shtml

good book on meditation for any meditator of any meditative practice.

http://www.kfa.org/
http://www.kinfonet.org/

These two sites have plenty about him as well as access to all his writings and teachings.

peace

yenhoi
03-13-2002, 02:41 PM
Do a search on falun gong, goto a website, and print thier 2 books.

Dont read them too closely, I am convinced they are a political cult, BUT:

In the second book, called Turning the Law Wheel (I think) the dude details 6 chi kung movements, which are accurate and true ("real chi kung").

The book has full color pictures and excellent descriptions of the movements.

Sorry if I offend any Falun Gong people.

Also I would read Zen and the Martial arts.

The Falun Gong stuff you are going to have to filter yourself, cause its pretty thick with "hoopla" but you can do it, its not hard, just read a little of the first book, and you'll get a taste for the BS. But still, if your looking for something quick and free, you get what you pay for.

Ky-Fi
03-13-2002, 06:50 PM
Hey Ford,

You may want to check out Dr. Yang's Essence of Shaolin White Crane---he gives pretty detailed instructions for a couple different types of meditation and qigong/meditation methods--different ones depending on whether you're just aiming for deep relaxation or you're doing some more serious qigong.

Braden
03-13-2002, 08:59 PM
Ford - what kind of meditation? The term is used to describe practices that vary as much as night and day.

Ford Prefect
03-14-2002, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I appreaciate the help.

Ky-Fi,

Do you know if he goes over any of that stuff in the white crane seminars? I still haven't made to to one of his seminars yet!!

Braden,

I know what'cha mean, but never having studied meditation in depth before, I really can't narrow it down. I have done some very basic chi kung training with Park Bok Nam, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm just trying to find something to center myself with and hopefully learn to internally reflect on myself. I've attempted to contact a few "meditation" places in my area but they were either cults (literally - I was scared dealing with one of them) or new age hippies. It's just that the daily stress levels are starting to get to me. I'm in great physical shape, so it would be a shame to have medical problems due to my mental/spiritual shape. ;)

Ky-Fi
03-14-2002, 10:27 AM
Hey Ford,

About 90% of the stuff I've done at YMAA has been Taiji--I only took the level 1 White Crane weekend, and that was a couple years ago. I don't think we did the meditation then, but then again my memory of that one is just a haze of black n' blue forearms from the 3-star blocking drills :). But, he does offer the level 1 qigong seminar a couple times a year, and I'm fairly sure he covers relaxation methods, meditation and the theory behind it in pretty good depth. Also, he's always offering the once-a-week for 16 weeks classes on various subjects most of the time (those are what I've been doing the last couple of years), and some of those are pure qigong.