PDA

View Full Version : Do you know this?

lloyd
03-13-2002, 02:11 PM
An exercise was shown to me that is called Iron Ox Ploughs the Earth (Tie Niu Geng Di).

The starting position looks like you are doing a pushup, but during the exercise you flex your body from the waist in a sort of whipping action, so that your triceps doesn't take much load. The movement is circular and is harder on ones lower back and abdominals. The hands were shoulder width apart and the elbows went out (not parallel to your body) when the movement went downwards. When you look at it from the side, then the path is shaped like a "U", but it is much more flat.

I don't own the book, but one of the photos on the cover of Xingyi Neigong, by Cartmell, Miller and Black looks like the ending of one cycle.

When typical Western push-ups use local muscle, then this style seems to try to use the whole body in the process. I have heard of an exercise with the similar objective used in Chen style taiji. I haven't seen this one, but it was supposed to teach you to apply jin through your arms.

Can anyone tell a little more about this?
Does my description fit your understanding of this exercise?

Sum Guye
03-13-2002, 02:27 PM
If you go to the Shenwu.com discussion board you can post the question and Tim Cartmell will answer it for you.

Water Dragon
03-13-2002, 02:33 PM
No, The Neigong book is showing Chinese Push Ups (Sun Salutations) What's described above is different. So I'm gonna try it out when I get home :D

EARTH DRAGON
03-13-2002, 08:50 PM
I believe what you are descibing is what we call a rocking push up. We do these every class and they are great for your entire body as you said not just for the arms and chest like regular pushup.

lloyd
03-14-2002, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Earth Dragon

My questions are about certain details of this exercise.

Is it OK to let the elbows "go out" (not parallel to the body) on the way down? Or should the hands be vider apart? Maybe my triceps' are weak, but it is very hard to keep the arms parallel to the body, especially when you are doing the cycle backwards (coming down and trying to push up again).