PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones and Pagers in the Kwoon?

logic
03-13-2002, 02:58 PM
while class is in session they should not be there. HOWEVER I happen to be on stand by for work one week a month and I have to have my pager with me.My sifu frowns on it,he doesn't want it to bother the other students and I can understand that. I set my pager on vibrate so no one really can hear it, then clip it to my jock strap under my uniform and I just don't let my sifu know. But so far I never got paged when I was in class.

My ne waza instructor says it's ok but ONLY for work purpose, other than that NO.

Should cell phones and pagers be totally forbidden in class or not?

ewallace
03-13-2002, 03:01 PM
I put my phone on meeting so it beeps softly one time. I have a young daughter and have to be reachable should an emergency arise. So no I don't think they should be banned, but a general policy should be in place.

red5angel
03-13-2002, 03:07 PM
Logic, first of all, putting your pager on your jockstrap while its on vibrate is just disturbing! ;)

Really though, a friend and I who work together and go to the same class are on call every so often. At first we told our instructor that we could just skip class, because it could cost us our jobs if we miss a few pages. He said he didnt mind if we brought them for just that reason. He said it was more important that we continue to train, and it is understandable in our day and age that we put up with it if absolutely necessary.

qeySuS
03-13-2002, 03:15 PM
Like most situations it's ok if there's a special reason and you informed your instructor beforehand of the situation usually you'll get permission. But there's lots of people that just show up with the cell phone to class and never ask permission.

Where i train you can take it IN to the class but it has to be on silent or turned off (this is just so it wont get stolen because there are no lockers and the school has a gym below it that shares the locker room with us).

logic
03-13-2002, 03:28 PM
Don't knock it til you try it.:D :D

red5angel
03-13-2002, 03:30 PM
I would probably get addicted and my wife would leave me!!!! :D

Kristoffer
03-13-2002, 03:39 PM
Can come up with a top ten list on why that's really disturbing.. But I'll pass for now.

In our training all cellphones should be off. But u can have it on silence, as long as it doesn't interupt with training. That goes for everything.

red_fists
03-13-2002, 04:06 PM
HI.

We can take our Cel-phones into the training are with us, but they are in "manner mode" and waiting on the side of the training area.

When I used to do standby I used to tell my Guys at work that I was in class from this time to that time.

And they would only page me in absolute emergencies during that time, most other times they simply left a message for me to contact them after class.

norther practitioner
03-13-2002, 04:10 PM
silence, or light tone...like a 1 on the volume meter. It is a fact of life now, like it or leave it....I wouldn't exactly go over there and pick up my phone, but some times I need to know if I get a call. I hate those dumb rings on the phones now...they really irritate me. I try to turn if off whenever I can when I am at school though.

wushu chik
03-13-2002, 05:12 PM
I am totally for them in class for emergencies and such, but they had better be on vibrate (not on your jock either), silent, or meeting, so it doesn't disturb everyone else. Otherwise if I start hearing "Get your freak on" or something else, they go for a swim in the toilet!!!

~Wen~

logic
03-13-2002, 05:30 PM
Ouch

red_fists
03-13-2002, 05:42 PM
Technology is nice, but it can also go way to far.

My current Phone is nice plenty of features, nice "Gojira theme" ringing tone, Web-surfing capabilities, etc.

But I will NOT go for the latest Model that has a "Video conference" function on it.

wild child
03-14-2002, 03:18 AM
I allow people to have phones on for emergencies, wife pregnant, or on call. For any other reason it is unacceptable.

However, for the most, people turn them off when training out of respect for the other students. This tends to be the culture of the class. Those who are not respectful of others training are not welcome to train.

wild child