PDA

View Full Version : This is a long shot anybody know about sanfrans kungfu in the late60s/early70s

diego
03-13-2002, 06:36 PM
I'm looking for info on a Y.c.wong a teacher of a mantis style, could be southern but i doubt it. i have some techniques and his name is on the bio from the deceased teacher of what i practise.

also if you have knowledge of goldengate back then what do you know about the legend of HARRYWU-NG-YIM-MING.
One of you wrote to me a year ago, do you still post, the old threads are hard to find, if impossible, you gave me a chinese name of a old friend of harry's, please help if you see this, hehe..

TenTigers
03-13-2002, 08:38 PM
Wasn't Harry Wu Ching Dai-Wai's Sifu? He taught Hop=Ga and Tibetan Lama P'ai. Y.C. Wong is famous as being the old man of Hung-Ga, meaning he is one of the oldest, and most established Hung-Ga Sifus in U.S. Doc Fai-Wong made quite a name for himself by being probably the youngest Sifu in Chinatown, opening up his school at 18. BTW, in the old days, when you opened up a mo-kwoon, you took on alot of challenges. In San Pablo, there was a Sifu John Yee, who studied in Gee Lum Gee monastery, who was noted to be very good, Sher Lew was teaching noi gung at a Taoist Sanctuary, Ark Yuey Wong was a young, strapping man in his 70s! There were so many well known Sifus, Inside Kung-Fu was a really good magazine back then, there was alot of sharing, demonstrating different styles and their forms and techniques, now everything is Shaolin circus performers doing ridiculous 'applications' of "Lo-Han Ch'uan, and Dai Hong Ch'uan" or whatever,these magazines today- All fluff, no substance.

diego
03-14-2002, 12:49 AM
Harry taught lama too?. In my Kajukenbo/Hopgar thread i posted a picture of alexander"kaido"polinatian, who taught harrywu style hopgar but i dont know where he got it from, but i know he started teaching around 72-74, and was killed in the mid80s, and harry was killed right before kaido started teaching.

Do you Know anything about harry or ching dai-wai?

You think it would be usefull ordering the old ikfs

bamboo_ leaf
03-14-2002, 09:58 AM
David Chin was Mikes teacher after Gorge Long who taught White Crane in the city.

Mike was my teacher back then. Sifu Chin as i remember him was a nice man, very fluid movements.

I think or had heard that Sifu Chin (chin dai wai) moved many years ago down to the southern US. Haven’t heard if he is still teaching or not.

Another Teacher was a sifu called Chuk Se, out in HI, had a school in Honolulu. He taught Hop Gar along with some other long arm styles. Good school from what I remember.

diego
03-14-2002, 01:42 PM
....That is interesting because Kaido may have learnt kajukenbo in hawaii? where it was founded. I'l have to check my note's.
David chin had a website up till about five month's ago?, they just put up the video version of the book i scanned to order, then the site went down:mad: :confused: i'l post the link in aminute.

It seem's some styles from the lineage's of LIONS ROAR=BAKHOK/HOPGAR/LAMA & I'VE HEARD OF A MOT/MOK?GAR,
It seem's some school's use 8fists some 12 &18, but i think it all breaks down to the straight/uppercut/overhead....everything else is hidden in those motion's, through feetplay.

How Long did you study? Under Mr.Staples, Could you please tell me about your studie's, the basic's of my studie's will be posted in my kajukenbo/hopgar thread thru the following week's:)

bamboo_ leaf
03-14-2002, 03:00 PM
A very long time ago, funny I still remember a few things but don’t play the style anymore.

It was a very long time back, but all together I think around 5yr. Or so.
The people in the Hop Gar book that Mike wrote where either my sihings or I theirs. Most of the pics where taken in our old school in SF.

Mike wasn’t to big on sets, most of the guys that I knew at that time where very into the fighting part. Training, thousands and thousands of hands using the four basic punches at that time. As I remember them /overhand/ straight/uppere cut/ and fist hook/ along with something called a wing flap. coupled with thousands of in and out tryangles. (a basic foot work useing 45% horse)

Many different types of foot work patterns, including some that where practiced on what was called muyfa jong (plum flower post) we had our own made from concert using small buckets for the molds. They worked well! also the infamous wood locks. :)

The training was very demanding and hard on the body, a real gym for people wanting and learning how to fight in a very direct way. our gym had the look and feel of a boxng gym. people went their to pound and get pounded. there are better ways of learning things IMHO but it was fun then. In the US Army many got to taste CMA from me. ;)

In my high school one of the founders of kajukenbo son went to school there his last name was Ramos if I remember.

i think if you contact Sifu Ron Dong's school he has a web site this would help you in your studies. he was Mikes seniour at Sifu Longs school.

ShaolinTiger00
03-14-2002, 03:25 PM
Ark Yuey Wong was my sifu's master.

Y.C. wong is one of the most respected and beloved kungfu teachers in America. If you want to know powerful Southern kungfu. walk down those steps and around the corner behind the white wall.

Good Luck, and have fun training.

diego
03-14-2002, 04:01 PM
ARK YUEY WONG, What style's does he teach?.

Bamboo-WingSpreads:
its a ex in our warmup, where you basically turn/step out into a right sidebow stance, and double backfists low with rear heel up-
then double backfists high rear heel touches floor.
then left leg steps forward and you press your palms down, then left leg steps back to the left and you turn ending up in a left sidebow stance,and repeat.
Have no idea what the chinese name is, Is that what you meant by wingflap's.

That triangle is the Shuffling/Hop Step!.
Please look at those pic's from the book, do any of those 12 longfist/12shorthand's Ring a Bell...
I'm going todo a search on ron dong, do you know the address, possibly findout.
Thanks

bamboo_ leaf
03-14-2002, 04:57 PM
Those where taken in our school, Sifu Chin, Mike, Gary, Ralph and David where used by Mike and Sifu Chin for the shots. If you go to www.cyberkwoon.com in the gallery section users, you can see a young leaf with Gary practicing in the gym that those pics where taken in.

Mike wrote another book on White Crane / Sifu Gorge Long (rip) I don’t think it’s published any more.

What you wrote sounds like something that I did at Cheuk Tse’s school in HI.

The wing flap was very similar to a back fist and was used as a clearing action preceding the overhand, it could also be used by itself coupled with a triangle out foot work step.

ShaolinTiger00
03-15-2002, 07:41 AM
No Diego, I meant Y.C. Wong.

http://www.tigercrane.com/master_y_c__wong.html

"Master Y.C. Wong is one of the senior-most Hung Gar Kung Fu authorities teaching in the United States today. At the age of six, he started training in this style under his own father in Canton, China. During his teens, he left China for Hong Kong to complete his Hung Gar training under Hung Gar Grandmaster Lum Jo. Master Wong spent many years under the Grandmaster's tutelage where he lived, trained and assisted in teaching at the Grandmaster's Kung Fu school. Master Wong learned and mastered all the hand techniques and traditional weaponry of the style."

Master Ark Yuey Wong - 5 Animal Shaolin

Grandmaster Wong Ark-Yuey was born in 1899 in a large village near Canton, Southern China. In those days bandits were roaming the countryside and Master Wong's Grandfather made all males in the Wong family study kung fu if they were to receive any inheritance. Wong started at the age of seven within a Shao Lin Temple. He first studied under the very respected masters Lam Ark-Fun and Ho Yeng, then later under the chief Monk of Canton, Pang. Master Wong studied within the Guantong Branch of the Shao Lin Temple for twenty-two years.

[I]Master Wong immigrated to the United States in 1921. He first opened a school in Stockton California, then later on moved to Los Angeles area in 1929, where Master Wong taught exclusively for the Wong family the first two years. He then opened his Chinese Herb shop and Kung Fu School, called War Que ("War Kyu") or Overseas Chinese Martial Arts Association. Master Wong opened his doors to the public in 1965, to any sincere student who wanted to learn from a Master. Previously, all Chinese Kung Fu was taught to Chinese only, as it was kept a secret. He taught the Five Family styles of Cho Li, Fut, Mok, and Hung and the five animals of the Tiger, Dragon, Crane, Leopard and Snake. Master Wong taught Tai Chi Chuan, five element fist, natural fist and the Hop Gar Lama fist. He also taught the 18 traditional Shao Lin weapons, Lion and Dragon dancing and Chinese Acupuncture, Massage, and Herb medicine

Master Wong was also a traditional Chinese herb doctor and helped many people with arthritis because of his special herb liniment called Dit Da Jow, a special Shao Lin temple recipe handed down to only those students who were loyal and sincere.
Master Wong was in the original pilot movie of the television series "Kung Fu", with the actor David Carridine, who played the part of "Kuai Chang Caine", (Grasshopper). Master Wong was the greatest Master of our century and the true "Pioneer" of Chinese Kung Fu in America. Master Wong was on the front cover of the 1965 issue of "Black Belt Magazine" and has had numerous articles about him in the "Inside Kung Fu Magazine".

Master Wong passed away on his birthday in January of 1987 at the age of 88. He was always helping people and devoted his whole life to Kung Fu and Chinese medicine. He was the last of the old Masters but his legacy and his Association is still being carried on today

Mojo
03-15-2002, 09:39 AM
Shaolin Tiger
There is something wrong with your time line.
You state that Master Wong ..
born 1899
began kung-fu at age 7
studied for 22 years in Guangtong branch
moved to US in 1921

He either came to the US in 1928
or he studied in G. branch for 14 years

Or else I'm just missing something:p

ShaolinTiger00
03-15-2002, 09:44 AM
nice catch!

I could only speculate, I do not know the correct answer.

Mojo
03-15-2002, 11:40 AM
Thanks
And just to muddy the waters even more, I heard that he started teaching in LA china town when he was 19 years old. :confused:

diego
03-17-2002, 06:02 AM
Bamboo leaf: What happenned to gary and phil etc, did they ever open up shop and teach LionsRoar, do they have any student's now?.
Do you remember any Fighting theory from back in the day?, my education is very incomplete, so anything would serve to tobe usefull.
Also, in Mr.Staples book it mentions, NgyimMings teacher wongyanlam spent 11years perfecting the KAY-MEN-BO" the footwork agianst everyone else's, developed by the tibetlama JIKBOLOKLOTOW'S MU-FA-JEONG.
It say's thier are 5 Basic Footwork pattern's:
TRIANGLE" WICH I ASSUME IS THE HOP/SHUFFLE ALREADY MENTIONED"/THE FOUR DIRECTIONS? I WOULD ASSUME THATS LIKE HALFSTEPPING, REAR FOOT STEPS REAR AND LEAD FOLLOWS, ENDING UP WHERE REAR STARTED, DOTO FRONT AND SIDES!?"/ THE SINGLE FLOWER?, THE SEVENSTAR?, THE PA=KUA STEP?...... I have idea's on these do you remember the drill's you guy's would do on the makeshift stump's?:cool:
peace