PDA

View Full Version : Choy Li Fut/Southern Shaolin Schools In Dallas Area?

Ace
02-19-2001, 02:43 AM
Hi all,

I'm helping a friend of mine who wants to find a good Shaolin Kung-Fu school in the Dallas , Tx area. His main interest is Choy Li Fut, but he is open to any form of southern Shaolin.

I've gotten a lot of good advice here at KFo before so I thought I would help him out as he doesn't have online access at the moment.

He works late hours, sometimes in rough areas of town, so being able to handle a violent situation fairly early in the training is near the top of his priority list. He is also looking for internal/external development and a traditional flavor to the school. At one time I recommended he look at Wing Chun for the combat aspects, but he feels that there is not enough chi development in that system.

Can anyone out there help us out????

Ace
02-20-2001, 03:06 AM
Well, so far I've found 1 southern style in the Dallas area. Its a Hung Gar school located in Richardson. The website is www.hungfist.com (http://www.hungfist.com)

Has anyone had any experience with them or heard of them? My Hung Gar experience is extremely limited but at first glance they seem legit---maybe some of you Hung Gar guys can advise me.

8 Sweaty Palms
02-22-2001, 06:51 AM
Another one in Grand Prairie... not sure of the quality.

8SP

josh nyce
02-23-2001, 06:18 AM
Well, I can`t really help your friend out from where I live (Fort Laderdale, FL), but I can say this....If he can find a good Choy Lay Fut school, that would be his best bet. I can tell you from experience that it has saved my but many times. I`m a deputy Sherrif for Broward county, and I work in the Jail with a lot of people who don`t like me (inmates), and I doubt your friends niebor hood is worse that were I work. This style has been tested and tried, believe me it works.

hunggar
02-24-2001, 05:57 AM
i would highly recomend the school in richardson, the one in grand parire i would stay away from.

Ace
02-24-2001, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the input everybody.

Hunggar, can you give me any particular reasons for your recommendations? What do you know about the school in Richardson as far as their teaching, emphasis etc ?