PDA

View Full Version : The Cliques in CMA

yutyeesam
03-14-2002, 09:19 AM
My sihing had a pretty cool observation at a CMA tournament. He said that it is a lot like high school:

The Southern stylists are like the grits, or the rebellious group, the Taiji/Internal folks are like the nerdy scholars, and the Wushu folks are like the jocks and preps.

:D

Sow Choy
03-14-2002, 09:33 AM
yutyeesam,

I think I know who you train with. Do you train CLF or Wing Chun?

JOe

yutyeesam
03-14-2002, 11:34 AM
Sow Choy,
I train CLF. And yes, you definitely know. We sidais aspire to your guys' skill, and not exclusively in Kung-Fu, either!

Very cool drunken form, btw! But I didn't see any Angel Ho postures :D

peace,

TenTigers
04-13-2002, 12:40 PM
so, um..what clique do the guys doing the made-up garbage, passing it off as real kung-fu fall into?

Sow Choy
04-13-2002, 03:57 PM
The made up stylists usually fall into the Trekkies or crazy Star Trek fans. They worry more about speaking Chinese then really training Kung Fu. And usually they wear the most out there uniforms.

A Chinese friend made a comment once that made me laugh. He said, seeing so many Americans wear old Chinese outfits is a bit strange. When I asked him why he said, Would you think I was normal if I dressed like George Washington in colonial outfits and tried very hard to be like people of that time?

I just laughed and see things differently now.

Take Care,

Joe

anton
04-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Yeah "moonies" are just like trekkies... they dress weird, they have little idea of reality and they even speak broken english (Klingon?) and spout trite little homilies constructed by saying a phrase and then changing the order of the words to make it sound profound like:

"If you do not master your fears, then fear will become your master"

......oohhh mysterious.... terribly mysterious