PDA

View Full Version : How many here believe in Qi???

gazza99
03-14-2002, 12:34 PM
Recently I was reading about an internal arts teacher (ken Gullette) who does not believe in Qi at all.
I see nothing wrong with his skeptisim, I dont think you need to believe in it to use it.
So who here has a firm belief in qi, and can relate experiances as to why to beleive in qi? Who does not, and why?

Regards,
Gary R.

Shooter
03-14-2002, 12:36 PM
Gary, what's to believe? What's not to believe? ;)

ewallace
03-14-2002, 12:43 PM
I am a firm believer in Qi. I don't think it has any mystical powers and Qi projection is about as real as my chances to win powerball.

Daredevil
03-14-2002, 12:56 PM
Duh. There is no disputing the existance of Qi.

We can, however, spend endless hours debating what the concept translates to in western terms, or trying validify various manifestations and details of Qi as a phenomenan.

Me? I prefer to just feel the Qi and ignore the bullXhit.

Aramus
03-14-2002, 01:04 PM
I've felt it while doing Tai chi. I don't know really how to use it in a fight, but I've never truly tried. And I really don't have anyone to train me on this any more.
I went to an acupuncturist one time, YES, I felt it then as well. Check it out some time...very enlightening experience.

I think Sam Wiley hit it on the head when he said, we all have preconceived notions of Chi. To the acupuncturist it was very practical, nothing mystical or magical in the least. It was just as a doctor examines a patient and recommends a treatment. Very everyday, usual, chalant. When I do Tai Chi and feel it, it isn't mystical or magical. It is there (or maybe I'm doing it wrong).

Peace.:)

Budokan
03-14-2002, 01:09 PM
I still believe in the Easter Bunny.:)

And Santa Claus.:)

And the Tooth Fairy.:)

And the Bogeyman.:)

I'm happy.:)

yenhoi
03-14-2002, 01:12 PM
What the hell is Qi?

How the hell do you use it?

Your one hell of a troll!

Im happy too. :)

Kristoffer
03-14-2002, 01:48 PM
*raising my hand*
jah I do beleive

Mutant
03-14-2002, 01:50 PM
Yes.
Don't ask me to try to explain it though, I'd just confuse myself.

Prairie
03-14-2002, 02:00 PM
I don't believe in qi as an unknown and undescribable substance.

I believe that it may represent a quality of cooperation between the various systems in the body. Who knows...

Skarbromantis
03-14-2002, 02:26 PM
Yes .....Yes.... i am a believer!!

I can see the light !!!

Skard1

PHILBERT
03-14-2002, 02:42 PM
I believe in Qi.

[sarcasm] I believe you can use it to throw a concussion blast at your opponent and knock him on his butt. I believe you can use it to knock out candles. I believe you can use it to read another persons mind and see into the future. I believe you can use it to cause stuff to start on fire. I believe you can use it to move objects without touching them.[/end sarcasm]

I only believe that it will help protect you and make you strongers/faster in fights. Not some all powerful Force you can use like Jedi.

red_fists
03-14-2002, 02:47 PM
Hi.

Yeah, another believer here.

That is I don't believe in the mystical Qi-Ball shooting and the like.
Somebody seen too much Dragonball methinks.

But the Qi I felt in my interal Arts training is real.

Tinman
03-14-2002, 02:49 PM
Wow, what weak minded people.I guess we all believe in Santa Claus to.

Chang Style Novice
03-14-2002, 02:49 PM
Sure I believe in Qi. The word refers to breath, blood, and vital energy. I've never met anyone without it.

ewallace
03-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Wow, what weak minded people.I guess we all believe in Santa Claus to.
Better than no minded. See CSN post above.

3D Man
03-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Have you ever tried to go scuba diving without Qi. Qi is important for running. When I use my dan tien, I fill with Qi.

Chang Style Novice
03-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Tinman should change his tag to Scarecrow..."If I only had a brain!"

JWTAYLOR
03-14-2002, 03:04 PM
Prarie and I seem to be in agreement.
JWT

ewallace
03-14-2002, 03:11 PM
Yeah Tinman sucks. Boring forum trolls are like underwear, everyone has at least one pair of them. Where's Rolls? At least he provides some good entertainment.

bamboo_ leaf
03-14-2002, 03:29 PM
I don’t look at it as a question of belief.

I think it would be better to look at as weather it is something useful to know and do you have access to it. It is one of many aspects of most CMA trainings and ideas for body movement and energy. Weather it helps a person depends on their ability to use and understand the concept.

If you chose to explain things in a different way this dose not negate weather your using principals based on the concept or not, it only means that some of the higher aspects may not be available to you since you would have no biases in which to understand or address them..

As for using it, again I would say this is an incorrect idea, like most natural processes in the body it’s very transparent to the person, many teachers demo it as something separate, IMHO only to show the difference between it and the use of LI (raw strength)

no, i don't belive in it, I know it :)

joedoe
03-14-2002, 03:34 PM
No need to believe in Qi. It is not something that requires a belief system.

Do you believe in air? Do you believe in sunlight? You don't believe in either of those - you believe it exists.

I believe that Qi exists. Whether you want to explain it as life force, bio-electric energy or whetever, it exists.

Now throwing Qi-blasts. Of course that exists - in cartoons and movies. However, just because you cannot do it and you have never seen anyone do it doesn't mean that it cannot be done. :)

Sho
03-14-2002, 03:36 PM
I believe qi resembles the energy of life which is held by every living organism and can be focused into desired use through practise.

Braden
03-14-2002, 06:23 PM
There's something remarkable which goes on with the body when you practice methods of the internal arts. This occurs without preconceptions or expectations, and has little precedence with understandings you may have come to through western medical or sports knowledge. It surprises me to hear from people who have been studying internal methods for a long time and have not felt this. I'm hesitant to relate this to chi, since doing so evokes a wide variety of beliefs and preconceptions.

guohuen
03-14-2002, 06:37 PM
I am a marionette. There is no electricity in my central nervous system. "Chi! You don't need no stinking chi!"

joedoe
03-14-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Braden
There's something remarkable which goes on with the body when you practice methods of the internal arts. This occurs without preconceptions or expectations, and has little precedence with understandings you may have come to through western medical or sports knowledge. It surprises me to hear from people who have been studying internal methods for a long time and have not felt this. I'm hesitant to relate this to chi, since doing so evokes a wide variety of beliefs and preconceptions.

Actually, you don't have to do an internal art to experience this :)

old jong
03-14-2002, 06:46 PM
I believe (IMO) that Chi,Qi whatever is the motion of the mind or the impulse/life force that moves the body. It is not "the" force as in star war. With proper technique, body alignment and intention, a motion can be powerfull or a stance can be hard to disrup. It is relative to mental and physical relaxation and the muscular work is kept to it's absolute necessary demand.
I don't believe in those chi balls throwers! ;)
It could also be the "aura" those Gracies are talking about!!! ;)

bamboo_ leaf
03-14-2002, 07:24 PM
“It could also be the "aura" those Gracias are talking about!!!”

old jong,

What I don’t understand by many people who post is that they say they don’t don’t believe in something and then search for other things to explain the things that they don’t believe in.

They’ll call it something else proclaim it to be this. And then wonder when some other peace of the wheel that they’re reinventing doesn’t fit.

in the human exprince many peoples have noted this type of energy in the body, they call it differnt things but it amounts to the same thing IMO.

the chinese happen to have IMO a good well documented explantion that i can agree with based on direct exprince.

joedoe
03-14-2002, 07:32 PM
It is called 'explaining away' something. It doesn't fit your thought paradigm, so you explain it away in your own thought framework.

old jong
03-14-2002, 07:40 PM
It was maybe a little joke but it was not without some truth in it. Whatever we think of it, it has many names in history and cultures. Pneuma ,prana ,Ka? and more I can't remember.
What was Austin Powers name for it?...;)

joedoe
03-14-2002, 07:49 PM
His mojo baby, yeah :D

old jong
03-14-2002, 08:05 PM
His mojo!...:D Surely some kind of internal force! (http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Sounds/austjet.wav) :D

Serpent
03-14-2002, 08:33 PM
Yeah, baby. That's your chi talking right there!