PDA

View Full Version : How to keep building while doing cardio?

lowsweep
03-14-2002, 06:51 PM
I have started doing a lot more cardio than I am used to for boxing. It's mostly speed rope but theres jogging, stepping, and some other stuff in there too, and I have never worked that hard in my life. By the end of a workout I will be completely covered in sweat and very tired. Can I keep building muscle while doing this every two days? If i make sure to get the extra calories and keep up the protein, how much difference will it make?

greyseal
03-15-2002, 03:52 PM
Most people in the medical field whose opinions I've read all say that too much cardio will take up protein, and eventually your body will begin to cabolotize(sp?) muscle. Basically, that means that your biody will begin to break down the muscle you've gained to gain the protein in it. Once or twice a week should be good, because even though you are taking in extra protein/calories, etc., you're using up more energy by your increased workouts. Ok, I, uh, don't really know the answer to your question, but it makes sense logically, right? ;)

Brian_CA
03-15-2002, 05:32 PM
Try a Yoga class

Brian
San Francisco,CA

IronFist
03-16-2002, 11:58 AM
Uh, you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time. If you're just doing cardio for health benefits and not to lose fat, then the solution is just to eat more to compensate for the calories you burn while doing cardio, I guess.

IronFist

ElPietro
03-18-2002, 08:11 AM
Try to get a good amount of carbs in about an hour before your cardio session. Afterwards try to get a huge amount of carbs in and a decent amount of protein.

Johnny Hot Shot
03-19-2002, 11:17 AM
Carbs are bad. Where have you been under a rock? ElPetro?

A small amount of carbs before you do your cardio is fine but stay away from them after and eat a large amount of protien.

Protien=Muscle

From personal experince on a high protien diet I have lost weight, gained strength and muscle mass.

Drink lots of water.

Where do you box?

ElPietro
03-19-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Hot Shot
Carbs are bad. Where have you been under a rock? ElPetro?

A small amount of carbs before you do your cardio is fine but stay away from them after and eat a large amount of protien.

Protien=Muscle

From personal experince on a high protien diet I have lost weight, gained strength and muscle mass.

Drink lots of water.

Where do you box?

Good job, keep spewing false information. Carbs aren't bad...but I'm sure your fad diet is working great isn't it!

Since you are so sure of yourself please feel free to explain your point of view...you can even copy and paste from all the adkins sites on the net. *teehee* :rolleyes:

Johnny Hot Shot
03-19-2002, 12:10 PM
My Bad I forgot you need lots of carbs up in Canada Just to keep warm...

let me guess your Carb of Choice is Molson eh.

As for my experience....

I've probably forgotten more than you'll ever know.

ElPietro
03-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Good mature answer. Glad to see that your follow confirms that you are an idiot. Say hi to Jenny Craig when you are on her diet next!

I guess you wouldn't know anything about insulin responses, or glycemic indices, or what fuel your body uses in certain instances? Or what really causes weight losses and the variety of hormonal responses that can be triggered by certain diets. High protein isn't bad but neither are carbs. I've lost plenty of bodyfat on a 40/30/30 split of protein/carbs/fat. Oh but fat must be bad too right? Oh wait Dr.Atkins tells you it's not. Why don't you do some f*cking research before bringing your dumbas$ in here and embarrasing yourself.

Maybe you should go relearn what you've forgotten cuz what you remember is plain BS.

I will respond again if you want to actually post something informative or remotely resembling intelligent thought.

Ford Prefect
03-19-2002, 12:45 PM
Hehehe. Thank you Dr. Atkins!

Johnny Hot Shot
03-19-2002, 12:47 PM
it depends on the person.

No one diet works for everyone for me an atkins style diet has help me achiev goals that I could'nt before.

Elpietro, I hope you fight as good as you talk because with a mouth like ypu'll need it. Congrats your the first person that has made me want to make an internet challange ... But that's just silly.

Cause I'd kick your a$$. Jerk

Qi dup
03-19-2002, 12:55 PM
ha ha! You guys crack me up when you get to arguing:)

What ever happend to Jenny Craig?:rolleyes:

ElPietro
03-19-2002, 01:16 PM
Johnny I'll assume your anger is triggered by your inability to apply any intelligence to the thoughts you posted earlier. Do you normally say sh!t you know nothing about? When people like you post I then start doubting most things they say...if you know sh!t about food how do I know you aren't talking out of your a$$ on your martial arts as well.

Internet threats are quite amusing, and are good for only one thing: making you look even more retarded.

Those with rational thought here will view my posts as simply trying to show my thoughts backed up by the research I spend my free time doing. I don't just make statements I've read on the news or in fad diets and not understand what I'm saying. The reason I'm here is to help others and hopefully learn a thing or two along the way. When I feel that most people don't want me to post here because they think I post BS I'll simply leave. Then they can listen to people like you and just cut out their carbs and eat high protein diets and then find out they need to go on an exlax diet because they are sh!tting solid bricks.

All I ask is for you to back up what you say. If you find my questions intimidating, or your inability to answer them humiliating feel free to go away.

Arhat of Fury
03-19-2002, 04:09 PM
lOWSWEEP,
If you are trying to build muscle you need a decent amount of carbs as well as protein after your workout. Carbohydrates is the vehicle that carries protein to the muscle. Carbohyhydrates=vehicle. A good amount for me when I was "bulking up" was 80 grams about 45 mins after a workout and at least 30 grams of protein. Your body can only assimilate 30 grams of protein per serving. This does not mean that you should only take in 30 grams because all of that 30 may not be assimilated. So 40 grams may be even better, especially if your doing cardio. This is only a general formula, once you get started and you know your body, you can begin to Tailor it to your metablolism/assimlation %.

assimilate- this means when protein is broken down carried and turned into the muscle. -- very generic definition.

JHS- This is really unlike you lashing out at people, especially at EP, he usually brings valuable(sp) information to the table.

Amitoufu,

AOF

TjD
03-19-2002, 06:13 PM
i was on that protien diet for quite awhile... and if you got a lot of lard on you, yeah its definately good because you have all that fat to burn for energy

however, im 6' and 155 lbs (on a good day)... and let me tell you - if your not fat, you NEED the carbs

the high protien low carb died burned me out

now that im back eating carbs i got a whole lot more energy; and am putting on just as much muscle as i was before, and i havent noticed a difference in my definition

peace
trav

Johnny Hot Shot
03-20-2002, 12:44 AM
Elpietro, Your Profile says your an analyst? How Noble of you to offer your "Professional" Nutritional Advice. Free advice.. You get what you pay for.

My bet is that your at least 30 Lbs overweight just starting out in Kung fu probably TKD Not even Kung fu and you THINK you know... You Tim Horton Lovin MO FO!

Myself on the otherhand.....................

Diet like Kung fu like weight lifting different things work for different people.

I guess I should of elaborated on my High protien diet. For me High Protien means eating loads of meat, fish, poultry, Cheese, Soy products probably about 65% of my daily caloric intake comes from protien. I also eat a ton of fresh vegetables and fruit. And no it's not a fad diet it's just what works for me.

Anybody that taks advice from KFO seriously should seek counselling.

Ford Prefect
03-20-2002, 08:08 AM
Johnny,

What EP is saying is consistent with all the information I have read as well. He may not be a "pro", but that doesn't mean much in the world of fitness and nutrition now a days. Out of curiousity what books and/or scientific studies do you draw your conclusions from?

ElPietro
03-20-2002, 09:00 AM
Johnny so you eat a ton of protein and carbs are bad, yet you eat a ton of fruits and veggies which are carbs. I'm done arguing with you. You are just plain wrong and contradict yourself. If you could post something remotely helpful to others. If you want some counselling I'm sure I could set you up for a good price. ;)

Your maturity level is continuing to degrade, now trying to take shots at what I do professionally, you just have a question mark in your occupation...do you not know what you do or just unemployed? Why not just say "your dady can beat up my dad" that seems to be the extent of your maturity here.

I have to laugh at your comments on physique. If you feel the need to prove yourself that's your own inferiority complex. I confident enough in myself and abilities and don't feel the least concerned by your foolish comments. The very fact that you're on an atkins diet means you were probably pretty obese, so trying to take shots at someone on that aspect is pretty ****ed sad.

If you have to know I am not training in any chinese martial arts, I have in the past but only for a short time. I currently train in thai boxing, my club is called Ultimate Thai Boxing in toronto and well known fighters such as Gary Goodridge and Carlos Newton have both trained there. Saw them both there in the same week although they train closer to where they live now.

But continue to make these stupid statements if it makes you feel better. You are only further embarassing yourself, and it truly doesn't accomplish anything, other than waste time and space here.

vingtsunstudent
03-20-2002, 05:32 PM
''Try to get a good amount of carbs in about an hour before your cardio session. Afterwards try to get a huge amount of carbs in and a decent amount of protein.''

a good amount before - yes, to make sure your glycogen stores are toped up for while you train

a huge amount afterwards - um- i would suggest only a moderate amount to again replenish.

is it not correct that you body can only store so many carbs as glycogen & unused to turn to fat, in the same way the body can only utilise a certain amount of protien at any given time.
vts

Johnny Hot Shot
03-20-2002, 06:09 PM
Analyst.

I get it.

Complex Carbs I should have stated.

I'm done..

So you saw some big names from UFC at your gym.

I'd still kick your ass...

B-yatch!

scotty1
03-27-2002, 06:14 AM
"Anybody that taks advice from KFO seriously should seek counselling."

I wouldn't bet my life on any advice I got from anyone on KFO, but if you're not willing to listen, then what are you doing here?