PDA

View Full Version : Elbow clicking

wtjoe
03-15-2002, 03:03 PM
When I fully extend my arm, my elbow clicks. Is there anything I can do to stop this? What might be causing it?

respectred
03-15-2002, 03:21 PM
hah, i have the same thing happening to me. whenever we do pushups in the beginning of my class i always hear my elbow snap for every single one of them i do, it's so annoying!
it doesn't hurt though, just tedious, but i've never injured my elbow in any way so i have no clue what could possibly be wrong.

PHILBERT
03-16-2002, 12:38 AM
I dont think it is possible to really fix it. I've had my left elbow click my entire life and it prevents me from doing the bench (it causes pain and I can drop the bar from it). It also clicks when I do hand rotations in Sil Lam Tao.

Cyborg
03-16-2002, 09:40 AM
It sounds like the elbow is being affected by some other part of the body. If your' back, shoulder, hips etc. are misaligned it can cause many other problems. Of course it could be the elbow, don't know for sure. But you should look for another cause as well. If there's pain you need to find someone who can help or it will probably get steadily worse throughout your life.

IronFist
03-16-2002, 12:07 PM
My knees crack whenever I squat down (barbell squats, or if I'm just squatting down to pick something up). They always have ever since I can remember. I've never hurt them (knock on wood), but I was a hockey goalie for years and always falling on my knees so that probably didn't help :)

IronFist

WhtLotus
03-16-2002, 12:11 PM
my knees do the same thing.
it can be kind of embarrasing when the room is quiet and everyone turns around to look at me when it happens, but it doesn't hurt, so it can't be (that) bad, right.

Brian_CA
03-16-2002, 12:22 PM
There may be a number of reason for the sound. The first I can think of is that your spine is out of wack. You may have a misalignment is the upper spine. This couls throw your whole structure off. Second it may be gas in the joints, if this is the case, then you need a good stretching routine. Perhaps you nutrution is lacking something. There also exists the possiblity that you have strained it. Back off the exersices that create the sound and go more slowly when you do them. BTW, you should have a slight bend in the elbow when extending you arm, you have be hyperextending it slightly.

Hope this helps.

Brian
San Francisco, CA

wtjoe
03-17-2002, 04:52 AM
whenever we do pushups in the beginning of my class i always hear my elbow snap for every single one of them i do, it's so annoying!
Yeah thats whats happening. Theres no pain but im wondering wether it's damaging me at all in the long term

NPMantis
03-17-2002, 09:29 AM
I don't think it's a big deal, sometimes mine click too.

Clicking your knuckles is supposed to lead to arthritis so I suppose it isn't very good for you?

I just try to do stuff in a way that it doesn't click - like I never straighten my arms fully when benching, punching, pressups, etc.... and that helps.

The best thing to do is ask your doctor next time you go and see him for some advice.

BSH
03-19-2002, 11:48 PM
According to my Sifu, that kind of noise is a sign of damage occurring or already in place. My training includes the use of Dit Da Jow which is used to help keep that kind of damage from occurring or fixing it when it has already occurred.

All traditional chinese martial arts included Dit Da. Most seem to have lost this knowledge. Keep looking until you find a completely traditional CMA which includes Dit Da and you will be amazed at the difference. The noise will go away with proper use of the Dit Da and you ability will advance quicker than you thought possible.

Obsidian Mantis
03-22-2002, 01:26 AM
Elbow clicking is very bad stuff. Exactly how far do you extend your arm before the elbow makes the noise?
I'd try to tone down on your punching a little if it does this because you might end up damaging the protective cartilage in your elbow joint. :(